: No longer a Cadillac owner :-(

tateos
04-12-11, 06:35 PM
Well, Numb-Nuts (the stepson) started a new job this week and he needed a car and (of course) he has no money to buy a car, so I gave him my '97 ETC. It was an "extra" car anyway - we have 2 other cars and it's just the wife and me. I figured I was better off giving him my 14 year old car with 168K miles, than "loaning" him money (that I would never see again) to buy his own car.

It feels weird not to own an Eldo - I got my first one in 1994, and I've owned this one since new in 1997. Our other 2 cars ('04 GP GTP and '05 Lincoln LS6) get 20-25 MPG, so with $4 gasoline, I'm going to look around for a gas sipper in the next few months - maybe a Volt or a Cruze or even a Sonic hatchback. We don't really need the 3rd car, but I can kind of justify it if it does something better or different or gets really good gas mileage.

I'll still be around here on the site - for awhile, anyway - just letting you guys know I'm no longer in the fold...

vincentm
04-12-11, 07:18 PM
Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

tateos
04-12-11, 10:12 PM
BTW, I have my '97 well-used but complete and still in decent condition 2 volume official Cadillac chassis manual that I guess I don't need anymore - I can put on e-bay, but if anyone is interested, make me a fair offer and it's yours. Also have a 2000 Deville (my Dad's car that he totalled last year) 3 volume set I was planning to put that on e-bay.

Ranger
04-12-11, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Tateos.

tateos
04-13-11, 01:10 PM
Yeah, Ranger - it's really weird not to have the car anymore - I got really attached to that thing, and I've never gotten attached to any car I've owned - I've always been glad to move on to the next car. Like my wife said, at least it's still in the family - numb-nuts only lives a mile away, and he is easy on cars and I think he will take care of it. Here in the AZ desert, things don't rust, so cars can go on nearly forever, with occasional repairs, but the car IS 14 years old, so I suppose it is time to move on...

I think I'll feel better when I get something to replace it, but it's not going to have the power or luxury of the Eldo. We do still have the GP with the supercharged engine that's a lot of fun to drive, and the Lincoln LS, which is comfortable and smooth and quiet - that's why I'm thinking it would be good to get something more utilitarian like a hatchback and/or something that gets really good mileage.

BTW, that GP has rear seats that fold down and a front passenger seat that fold down forward and the rear doors open almost a full 90 degrees. We bought a little weekend place up in the AZ mountains, and I am amazed at how much stuff will fit in that car - it's damn near as big as a station wagon - the only thing that interferes sometimes is the fixed rear deck.

johnny kannapo
04-13-11, 01:41 PM
Oil price for gasoline in Venezuela is $0.12 a gallon.

I would think twice before committing yourself to a ill fated political transportation plan.

So far electric or hybrid electric vehicles are a bust. Oil burns is cleaner than coal.

Oil will still be the primary affordable public fuel for at least 10 yrs.

ternstes
04-13-11, 01:48 PM
tateos,

I just picked up a 2000 STS for cheap with a probable blown head gasket. I could probably use your deville manuals for engine/disassembly related items. How much are you asking for the set?

tateos
04-13-11, 04:42 PM
Let me check on the 2000 set - not sure if it applies to the Seville STS. Yeah, I know the engine is the same, but you may as well get manuals that apply to your whole car. I think I paid $135 plus shipping new. There are 3 large, heavy manuals, so I imagine shipping alone might come to a lot, even at book rate. Where are you located - I am in Phoenix area.

I did the HG project on the '97 ETC a few years ago, with great success, so let me know if you need any advice.

Richard Moore

jimsbox
04-13-11, 05:51 PM
Tateos,

You are a real asset for all of us and I hope you stay with us on the forum, regardless, thanks for the memories...

Ranger
04-13-11, 09:30 PM
:yeah:

RippyPartsDept
04-13-11, 09:42 PM
yeah, don't be a stranger

and you might need that manual for numb-nuts down the road sometime... maybe you can give it to him as a gift for a birthday or something?

ternstes
04-14-11, 06:28 AM
Let me check on the 2000 set - not sure if it applies to the Seville STS. Yeah, I know the engine is the same, but you may as well get manuals that apply to your whole car. I think I paid $135 plus shipping new. There are 3 large, heavy manuals, so I imagine shipping alone might come to a lot, even at book rate. Where are you located - I am in Phoenix area.

I did the HG project on the '97 ETC a few years ago, with great success, so let me know if you need any advice.

Richard Moore

Yes, I know. I think I have read that thread a thousand times!!! I am doing a friend's 97 STS right now, and bought a 2000 STS from a guy at work because I am downright crazy!

I have not found a used set on ebay yet for the 2000, but I keep looking. I am in Cincinnati, OH so shipping will not be cheap unless they fit in a USPS flat-rate box. I have also considered All Data for the 2000 job, but I like a manual I can have at the car while I am working.

00 Deville
04-14-11, 07:45 AM
Richard you will be missed... feel free to stop by and share your wisdom anytime.

I have not found a used set on ebay yet for the 2000, but I keep looking.

There's a set on ebay for $89.... not the cheapest I've seen them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Cadillac-Seville-Service-Manual-Set-Used-but-good-/150527629924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230c255a64

tateos
04-14-11, 12:57 PM
Yeah - I've had All Data, and it's fine, but to me, there's nothing like the paper manuals. I think I saw one set of 2000 Deville manuals on e-bay for $85 plus $10 for shipping - I could go less than that for a fellow forum member and "HG project doer". I'm not that worried about getting the absolute max I can possibly get, as long as the price is fair and the manuals go to a good home. - I'd just need to check on the shipping cost to be sure...but if it's a Seville you have, wouldn't a Seville manual really be worth searching for?

As far as the '97 manuals, they would be of no use to numb-nuts, because he can't even change his own oil, and I want to (eventually) retire from the ETC repair business - my other 2 cars are 6 and 7 years old, so I imagine stuff will be going wrong with them. I am going to change the water pump, belt, tensioner pulley, and thermostat for him next weekend, and I told him I would replace the front struts for him this Fall (he pays for the struts), but that's about it. I don't think I need the manuals for either of those projects, but anything is possible.

vincentm
04-14-11, 01:23 PM
Can't change his own oil? Reminds me of my friend's stepson, he can't do crap either, it was recently discovered the engine in his mazda mpv van has been going without oil for weeks now, all because he can't even bother to check the friggin dipstick becauce he doesn't know where it is.

So glad my dad punished me the way he did, no spankings, instead i got handed jobs of helping him pull a 390 v8 out a 72 LTD, taking off carbs, etc.

tateos
04-14-11, 09:47 PM
Yeah - my family's '69 LTD wagon had a 390 in it. When I was a noob, I once made the mistake of using a 12 point socket on a spark plug, cracked the insulator, stripped the flats on the plug - ended up having to remove the head to get the plug out - that was my first time working on the inside of an engine.

I remember Ford used to refer to their engines as being 2V or 4V, instead of 2 bbl. or 4bbl like GM and Mopar...as in a 390 2V - anyone else remember that? Or am I showing my age too much, and i should just ask if anyone even remembers carburetors? LOL

Ranger
04-14-11, 09:52 PM
I remember carburetors (as well as a lot of other crap), but 2v or 4v. My first car had a 390.

jimsbox
04-14-11, 10:45 PM
I remember my MGB with 2 side draft SU carbs, couldn't keep them balanced but the car was a load of fun.

ben.gators
04-15-11, 07:57 AM
Always sad to see a fellow leave... But you stop by frequently... Oh, and what a funny name you have given stepson! Numb-Nuts....:histeric:

00 Deville
04-15-11, 08:18 AM
Always sad to see a fellow leave... But you stop by frequently... Oh, and what a funny name you have given stepson! Numb-Nuts....:histeric:
That's funny

vincentm
04-15-11, 09:03 AM
Double post

tateos
04-15-11, 11:13 AM
He's a good kid, really...when I say kid, he's something like 36 years old.

00 Deville
04-15-11, 11:18 AM
I'm sure he is.... why else would you give him your baby.

ben.gators
04-16-11, 06:41 AM

I know I know, people usually use such nicknames for the people that they care about them and like them...

tateos
04-22-11, 08:07 PM
I am not feeling too fond of him right now - he got arrested for DUI a week ago, driving the ETC, and we hadn't got around to transferring the title to him yet, so technically MY car got towed and is impounded for 30 days! I got a letter from AZ DOT that MY car got towed, so now if I get pulled over, it probably shows up that my car got towed for DUI - no, actually, EXTREME DUI, which means he blew over .15%, which really pisses me off#$%^&! I try to help the kid out and give my beloved car because he has no $ and he started a new job...and this is how he pays me back! Now, I have to take time off from work to go to the Scottsdale Police Station and sign documents that I own the car and that I won't let anyone drive it drunk, to get a release, and then go to the tow yard and pick up the car. I've decided I'm not even giving him the car - he doesn't deserve it - I'll give it to his live-in girlfriend instead, and I don't want him driving it until after the title is out of my name - then they can do whatever the funk they want.

92Deville
04-22-11, 08:58 PM
It sounds like it is time for him to figure life out on his own without someone to bail him out. I would take the car back and keep it for myself or if you don't want or need it anymore sell it.

vincentm
04-25-11, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't even give it to her, you put too much work into that ride, and it's in pristine condition for an idiot like that.

tateos
04-25-11, 03:09 PM
I know what you guys are saying, and you're right, but if I don't give it to them, he will ask his mother (my wife) to use her car, or will ask her for money to buy a car, and then where will I be - you know what I'm mean? Plus then I'll end up getting stick for towing and storage fees.

coaster
04-25-11, 04:01 PM
BTW, I have my '97 well-used but complete and still in decent condition 2 volume official Cadillac chassis manual that I guess I don't need anymore - I can put on e-bay, but if anyone is interested, make me a fair offer and it's yours. Also have a 2000 Deville (my Dad's car that he totalled last year) 3 volume set I was planning to put that on e-bay.

can the rear shocks on the deville fit my 98 sls i have the electronic ones please let me know will buy thank u

tateos
04-25-11, 06:14 PM
can the rear shocks on the deville fit my 98 sls i have the electronic ones please let me know will buy thank u

I have the MANUAL for the 2000 Deville - not the car! LOL

vincentm
04-26-11, 08:01 PM
Sucks man, sorry. If i could buy it from you i would just to keep it jn good condition, you know id baby it.

coaster
04-26-11, 10:44 PM
my bad

Destroyer
04-29-11, 11:30 PM
I rarely come on the N* forum nowadays but in my eyes you have always been one of the faithful in here. These are basically good cars with many flaws but I never thought I'd see the day that you would bow out. Sad to see but expected at the same time. You have gone well past anything I would have done for them and never complained like I did. I honestly hope you don't leave the forum as you provide a wealth of information and are a nice guy to boot. Good luck with whatever you buy next. I don't get attached to cars personally so my split from N* cars was easy but a lot of you guys are much more passionate about them and I respect that.

tateos
04-30-11, 12:35 AM
Thanks Destroyer - you know I always respected your position that head gasket failure shouldn't be considered normal or acceptable or expected in a luxury car, and that the trouble and cost of replacement and repair is frequently more than an 8-10+ year old car is is worth. I did it because I like the car so much, and as a "project"...and I'm glad I did.

As an update, I got the car back from the police and tow yard this week - I'm planning to change the water pump, thermostat, WP drive belt and tensioner pulley tomorrow. There's a minor, intermittent leak in that area - doesn't seem to be the WP cover or any hoses or radiator or God-forbid the crossover gaskets. Then I'll talk to the numb-nuts and see whether they still want the car, and can afford to register and insure it - if so, I'll transfer ownership to the girlfriend of the stepson, not the stepson. And they can't borrow cars from us in the future. I signed a paper to get the car back basically saying I would not allow anyone to drive my car drunk for the next year or I can be held liable and fined. Probably just a scare tactic...but it worked...LOL!

ThumperPup
04-30-11, 07:26 PM
I am not feeling too fond of him right now - he got arrested for DUI a week ago, driving the ETC, and we hadn't got around to transferring the title to him yet, so technically MY car got towed and is impounded for 30 days! I got a letter from AZ DOT that MY car got towed, so now if I get pulled over, it probably shows up that my car got towed for DUI - no, actually, EXTREME DUI, which means he blew over .15%, which really pisses me off#$%^&! I try to help the kid out and give my beloved car because he has no $ and he started a new job...and this is how he pays me back! Now, I have to take time off from work to go to the Scottsdale Police Station and sign documents that I own the car and that I won't let anyone drive it drunk, to get a release, and then go to the tow yard and pick up the car. I've decided I'm not even giving him the car - he doesn't deserve it - I'll give it to his live-in girlfriend instead, and I don't want him driving it until after the title is out of my name - then they can do whatever the funk they want.

wow thats more than i would do
i wouuld say you screwed up son i was giving you one of the great all time American Coups and you did this no not anymore you don't get it

but your still givingi t to his Girlfriend to drive him around and still going to transfer the title OMG thats a great father but alot more then i would do

Destroyer
05-02-11, 09:54 PM
I remember Ford used to refer to their engines as being 2V or 4V, instead of 2 bbl. or 4bbl like GM and Mopar...as in a 390 2V - anyone else remember that? Actually I do but the heads were different, it wasn't just a matter of 2bbl or 4bbl carbs. For instance you needed a 4v intake to work on 4v heads. There were several differences. I knew the "FE" 390 as I owned a few cars with them but this also applies to the "Cleveland" motors.

tateos
05-03-11, 04:30 PM
Yeah but do you remember what the "V" stood for? Pretty sure I do...

ThumperPup
05-03-11, 05:19 PM
what does the v staND FOR ?

tateos
05-03-11, 07:16 PM
This is my recollection - could be wrong - other old-timers chime in - but I think:

V stood for the number of venturis in the carburetor - the venturi is the name of the restriction in the throat or barrel of the carburetor. So, to describe a carburetor as a 4 barrel carb really is the same thing as saying it is a 4 venturi or 4V carb. 1V meant a 1 barrel carb, 2V meant a 2 barrel, 6V meant the engine came with 3 2 barrel carbs and 8V meant it came with 2 4 barrel carbs.

Destroyer
05-11-11, 09:55 PM
This is my recollection - could be wrong - other old-timers chime in - but I think:

V stood for the number of venturis in the carburetor - the venturi is the name of the restriction in the throat or barrel of the carburetor. So, to describe a carburetor as a 4 barrel carb really is the same thing as saying it is a 4 venturi or 4V carb. 1V meant a 1 barrel carb, 2V meant a 2 barrel, 6V meant the engine came with 3 2 barrel carbs and 8V meant it came with 2 4 barrel carbs.I didn't know that. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

tateos
05-12-11, 12:25 PM
Yeah - just stupid trivia for us old guys