: fuel filter

HiYall
04-12-11, 06:52 PM
How often should you change the fuel filter on a V6 STS? I read somewhere on here that it is no longer a recommended service unless you are having a fuel related issue. My car has almost 123k miles on...can someone advise?

Loren
04-13-11, 03:10 PM
I don't recall seeing anything on changing the fuel filter but I had mine changed at 50,000 miles as I was getting ready for a 5,000 trip and didn't need a speck of something getting stuck in an injector. I recommend Rock Auto for good prices and they handle genuine Delco parts and have great shipping times. http://www.rockauto.com/ If you do your own repairs that filter is up on or inside the right rear frame just in front of the wheel well and also takes special tools to get the job done. I've seen posts from guys that have done it themselves with no special tools, don't know, I had the dealer do mine for about the same cost as minor brain surgery even after supplying the filter.

EChas3
04-13-11, 11:56 PM
EWill3rd, our friendly master Caddy tech, has posted that this is no longer considered periodic service. If you have reason to suspect fuel flow issues, then change it. Otherwise, just leave it be.

Neutrocuted
04-14-11, 01:37 AM
I had 135K on my CTS 3.6 (R.I.P) with original plugs and fuel filter. It ran like a top, even after running it real low on oil. Just be sure to constantly check the oil. Mine didn't use a drop of oil between changes so I never bothered to check it until one day after hitting 100k it started using about a quart a month and I didn't know it! Then wham! Nasty grinding noise when turning a couple of blocks from home. Went back home, checked it, nothing, added a qt., nothing, added another, another, total of 4 1/2 qts.! No warning from the DIC or the oil light. So... check that oil!

My STS was a user when I first got it but after a few cans of Sea Foam in the oil and gas and a few WOT romps to the redline in 2nd then backing off down to 1500 rpm or so a few times got rid of a carbon knock it had and now it doesn't use any oil at all! Thank goodness! Mobil 1 ain't cheap when you're adding 2 a month. It has kept the same level for 6 weeks now.

Midnight
04-14-11, 04:16 PM
I don't know how you'd change it without one of these: http://www.murley.org/pics/disconnect.JPG at least without breaking something.

And they're like $3 or something, heh. It was still a pain in the neck though, but overall not too horrible, at least it's near the edge of the car and not way under it.

MacMuse
04-14-11, 06:19 PM
I let my dealer talk me into changing the fuel filter when I did the 50K recommended throttle body service.