: 2007 sts4 front driver door unlock problem

johnnyfamous
04-12-11, 03:07 PM
okay first the front door started to not unlock with remote or keyless. Had to then start using the key to get in. Then about a month later did not even recognize when the door was closed or open...ie door ajar not working and radio not shutting off when leaving car from driver door but working from passenger door. So i purchased a new door latch from GM and installed it. Now door ajar working and car recognizes when Iam leaving the vehicle from drivers door. However remote still opens all other doors except the drivers side door. I still have to use the key to get in. Any help would be appriciated. thanks
John

ddalder
04-12-11, 08:43 PM
There are countless threads on STS door problems. Try using the search function to look around a little. You'll probably find a wealth of information. This is a topic pretty well beat to death here because it's so common.

johnnyfamous
04-14-11, 01:23 PM
Thanks but i have searched and not really found my problem...
Needless to say sometimes when I pull the door handle the other doors unlock just not the drivers... So micro switches in handles not the fault, door latch replaced, I guess possibly the door control module is next to order????

EChas3
04-14-11, 10:49 PM
And how is this not a door problem?

ddalder
04-14-11, 11:25 PM
Thanks but i have searched and not really found my problem...
Needless to say sometimes when I pull the door handle the other doors unlock just not the drivers... So micro switches in handles not the fault, door latch replaced, I guess possibly the door control module is next to order????
First of all, you need to have a very good understanding of how this system works. Secondly, you need to perform systematic troubleshooting. It isn't really complex if you understand how everything works, but if you don't, you're going to throw a lot of money at fixing the problem before it's actually resolved. Two components you've mentioned, the door latch mechanism and the door control module, are the least likely to fail. I say this only from the history of door problems and what other members have experienced. Here is one of the threads I'm referring to:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/219423-05-sts-drivers-door-lock-issue.html

This should get you started. I posted some information here that should help you to understand and/or diagnose where the problem may be. When you say nothing really describes your problem, I suspect it's because you may not fully understand how the system works. Read the thread above and if you have questions, please ask.

The problem may be the door control module, but historically this is very unlikely. Also keep in mind that how your personalization settings are configured may cause your symptoms to present a little different than how other describe theirs.

MacMuse
04-15-11, 09:41 AM
Just for the sake of completeness...

Have you changed the battery in the fob lately? Cleared my similar issue right away. $7 fixes are the best.