: Traded 2010 base for ESV Platinum

Fast Eddie
04-12-11, 12:39 PM
One year ago I made a mistake and switched from a 2008 ESV to a 2010 base Escalade luxury. UGH. We never once used the third row in the ESV, it was more for hauling stuff (which I do often). I figured I would go with the base, save a little gas, money and make extra room in the garage. Boy was I wrong. First off, three months into my new 2010 my wife starts rotating with the other moms in the area to drop off and pic up the kids for various activities. In goes the third row and out goes my ability to carry anything more than a jug of milk. I also did not plan for the other shortcomings of the short wheelbase including a severely degraded ride quality. Seriously, there is no comparing the ride quality between the two. The ESV is MUCH smoother yet still as planted as any 6000lb truck can be. The gas mileage is .3mpg better but the tank is much smaller- CRAP. So I don't get any better mileage and I get much less range! I also forgot the rear windows don't go down all the way. Oh well.

So I have been watching the numbers on used values and new truck discounts and finally pulled the trigger. I bought my 2010 base really well and took only a minor hit after a year of driving. I also received a $3000 bonus earnings offer on top of my $2000 in regular GM card earnings. I found a demo 2010 platinum ESV that the owner of the dealer was using as his truck. It had 3k on it and was in perfect shape. The numbers were more than I wanted to spend but they were close enough for me to say what the hell.

Needless to say, I love the truck. What a great look from the outside. The inside is nice, really nice. Worth $9k msrp more than a regular ESV premium? No, but I didn't pay close to the sticker- more like what I would have paid for a new 2011 ESV premium. Now I need to unload the factory winter mats and weathertech cargo liner from the base (new truck came with the factory 3 row winter mats but no liner other than the carpet one). So I need a new liner (thinking WT again) and I'm also looking at a B&B exhaust.

Anyone on the fence between a base and ESV, don't even think twice- go ESV...

baleman
04-12-11, 01:17 PM
When I was looking for a 3rd row seat vehicle, I was thinking GL. However, there was no room for anything but passengers. I want to be able to go on trips with the family in comfort without having to put anything on the roof and be worried they will end up on someones hood. The ESV is by far the best vehicle IMO, that delivers the luxury and space I was looking for.

hannity
04-12-11, 01:31 PM
Congratulations, I'm trying to get out of my Platinum due to the problems I have been having with it. I thought the Platinum would have been built with better quality but I was wrong. Good luck with yours.

hcvone
04-12-11, 01:58 PM
I went the other way, after 6 Suburban's I wanted the "smaller" size truck, very rarely do we have more than two in any truck at one time even when towing, and were we live in the mountains the slightly smaller truck handles better and stops better, the ESV rides better on the highway because of the longer length, but we just put some new slightly lower, slightly softer compression springs in one of my 10's and so far they seem to have made a big difference. I just got a platinum as well, while it's nicer, don't know if it's 8k nicer

ELUSIVE
04-12-11, 02:06 PM
I like the ability with the ESV to have 6 people and still be able to go to Costco. Could never do that before.

Fast Eddie
04-12-11, 03:23 PM
Congratulations, I'm trying to get out of my Platinum due to the problems I have been having with it. I thought the Platinum would have been built with better quality but I was wrong. Good luck with yours.

What problems have you been having?

fivepix
04-12-11, 03:32 PM
I guess it really depends on your lifestyle, I had an ESV and it was just too much truck for me. I rarely have more than 4 people in the truck.

I can see the issue with the cargo space in the base Escalades, when my wife and I go on trips she can really fill up the space in the back pretty quick even with the 3rd row seats out LOL. I don't think I would buy anything bigger unless there was a dramatic change in our lifestyle.

Thanks for sharing your experience, enjoy your new ride! Got any pics :)

hannity
04-12-11, 03:47 PM
What problems have you been having?

Piston slap, clunking of my drive train, pealing wheels, broken door handles, work when they want to running boarads to name a few.

Playdrv4me
04-13-11, 06:09 AM
I have to completely disagree with the advice in the OP. If you don't NEED the person hauling capability, AVOID the ESV at all costs, especially now that the platinum can be had in the short wheelbase. I had an Avalanche at one point (which many people don't realize is the same wheelbase as the ESV/Suburban) at was at my wits end negotiating tight parking areas and darting around town. At one point, I accidentally pulled into a very narrow church parking lot (this is when I lived in the NE) and had so little room to back up and get out, that I actually scraped the side of the bed. The Avalanche/EXT is still somewhat practical because the bed has endless possibilities, and the ESV is purpose built to be a people hauler and it does that fantastically well, however I wouldn't take an ESV as my own daily driver if you gave it to me. A more individual preference for me is also that I see Suburbans/ESVs as executive limos/taxi company vehicles so often that I'd feel like a chauffer driving one around... like having a black Town Car for example.

As for the third row eating up space... I'll sure as hell never need it, so I sold mine on Ebay... problem solved and 600 bucks in my pocket to boot.

I guess my point is, don't let worries about ride quality push you into an ESV, or you'll be stuck with way more truck than you possibly need. If you don't need the people capacity and have to have the longer wheelbase, at least go for the EXT and get the practicality of a usable covered storage bed, keeping in mind you won't have a Platinum option.

Fast Eddie
04-13-11, 11:28 AM
Funny, in NYC and LI roads my wife never seems to have a problem after years of driving Avalanches, EXTs and ESVs. Maybe we are just used to the size. I cannot comment enough about how terrible the ride is on a short wheelbase when compared to an ESV. It got to the point that we started taking my BMW 550ix on road trips to avoid driving the E for too long. The range also stunk. Aside from an extra 18-20in of length when it is a tight area I can't come up with one disadvantage to the ESV. An added plus I forgot about is the much higher resale values...

andre_outlaw
04-13-11, 11:36 AM

why would it be built any better... all built in the same place by the same guys. escalades are all overpriced, if you think quality reflects price on these units you are crazy.

ELUSIVE
04-13-11, 12:45 PM
If you think the EXT is too big, try driving an F350 Quad Cab Long Bed Dually around town.

Playdrv4me
04-13-11, 03:16 PM
Funny, in NYC and LI roads my wife never seems to have a problem after years of driving Avalanches, EXTs and ESVs. Maybe we are just used to the size. I cannot comment enough about how terrible the ride is on a short wheelbase when compared to an ESV. It got to the point that we started taking my BMW 550ix on road trips to avoid driving the E for too long. The range also stunk. Aside from an extra 18-20in of length when it is a tight area I can't come up with one disadvantage to the ESV. An added plus I forgot about is the much higher resale values...

Whats funny about that is I was almost going to bring up the opposite point on value as well. When I lived in FL the dealers always had a much harder time moving ESVs and Suburbans than they did with the SWB and EXT trucks. As a result the ESVs were always 2-4k *cheaper* with equivalent mileage and were always used as "ad cars" to reel people in with low prices.

My understanding was people associated the larger size with poorer fuel economy, and also with being the "kid hauler" even though fuel economy is identical. I almost bought GMT 800 ESV platinums NUMEROUS times during that period because the deals were so tempting, but just couldn't do the larger size again.

I remember specifically thinking how amusing it was that they had a higher initial MSRP but had depreciated so far compared with their short bodied brethren. I'm sure this is something that varies widely by region though.

As for the ride difference.., I certainly don't sense anywhere near that much difference between the avalanche I had, the Denali xl I test drove and the few short bodies I've owned. That may be because our roads are not beat to hell in the Midwest and south though. Also, don't forget the Platinum has Magneride by default, which obviously makes a huge difference on it's own.

TexFinn
04-13-11, 05:00 PM
Whats funny about that is I was almost going to bring up the opposite point on value as well. When I lived in FL the dealers always had a much harder time moving ESVs and Suburbans than they did with the SWB and EXT trucks. As a result the ESVs were always 2-4k *cheaper* with equivalent mileage and were always used as "ad cars" to reel people in with low prices.

Same thing I noticed when shopping for the current one a few months ago. Could have had a much lower mileage ESV for similar price than what we paid for the shorty, but luckily I was able to keep my wife away from them.

The base model is not for everybody and the ESV is not for everybody, either. One just needs to go out and do their own research and decide it themselves.

Playdrv4me
04-13-11, 06:35 PM
Same thing I noticed when shopping for the current one a few months ago. Could have had a much lower mileage ESV for similar price than what we paid for the shorty, but luckily I was able to keep my wife away from them.

The base model is not for everybody and the ESV is not for everybody, either. One just needs to go out and do their own research and decide it themselves.

Yea, I'm not intending to slam the ESV in any way... just the original post makes it sound as if the ESV is practically a whole different vehicle and it's not. It would be absolutely silly to jump into an ESV just because someone said the ride is amazing, when in fact I haven't noticed that difference, AND when the EXT is out there with the same wheel base and more usable functionality with the truck bed (for a guy who doesn't have a family to haul around etc.) ESV is an Escalade too, and they're all nice.

One thing I do have to say, is that whatever it costs to upgrade to the Platinum package, if it is within your budget, IS worth it... if for the leather treatment alone. As the trucks get older, the Platinum package trucks will come more in line with the regular ones and then it will eventually be a no brainer.

tonygxp
04-13-11, 11:04 PM
i can tell you from driving extened cab pickups then switching to crewcab F150's etc. there is NO room around here for anything longer than my swb Denali. these parking spaces and lane widths in parking lots were not made with lwb vehicles in mind. i can "get it done" but it's a chore and the wife HATED the last lwb vehicle we owned (an Envoy XL) so i'm stuck in the regular length but outside of the slightly "bumpier" ride over dips i don't see a difference. i've gone away for a few days with 6 people and still fit enough (soft) luggage behind the third row to suit us. guess there's good and bad in all things?

xxe92xx
04-14-11, 12:30 AM
that ride "difference" your thinking about is only in your head :cookoo:....there is absolutely no difference at all and to add the 2010's come with magnetic ride control...so I have no idea why you think your ESV is any different from the regular version or the EXT.....and no offense to anyone, but the platinum is not as "refined" as people are led to believe...it is unfortunate but its reality, no question though our trucks have alot of room for improvement

Fast Eddie
04-14-11, 07:01 PM
that ride "difference" your thinking about is only in your head :cookoo:....there is absolutely no difference at all and to add the 2010's come with magnetic ride control...so I have no idea why you think your ESV is any different from the regular version or the EXT.....and no offense to anyone, but the platinum is not as "refined" as people are led to believe...it is unfortunate but its reality, no question though our trucks have alot of room for improvement

You are flat out dead wrong, sorry. The EXT and ESV ride very very similar. The ESV and base Escalade ride NOTHING alike. Yes, both have magnetic ride suspensions but they also have different wheelbases and weights. How you would expect them to ride exactly the same is beyond me.

The platinum is certainly not very refined. The interior is nicer with the covered dash, door panels, trim and real wood. The rest of the truck is identical though save a few add ons like the LEDS and front end look....

Punmax
04-14-11, 09:57 PM
Piston slap, clunking of my drive train, pealing wheels, broken door handles, work when they want to running boarads to name a few.

Time to give Cadillac a call.

hannity
04-15-11, 01:04 AM
why would it be built any better... all built in the same place by the same guys. escalades are all overpriced, if you think quality reflects price on these units you are crazy.

I had to learn the hard way. I never had an American car before because I always heard that the quality is bad and they are prone to problems. My wife and I got to a point where it was time for me to get a new truck. And alas instead of me waiting on the redesign of the QX56 like I had planned on I went ahead and got a platinum escalade. Big mistake. I have had many problems with this truck. I am not driving it so I can keep the mileage down so when I get enough money to get into a new deal on a QX the trade in value won't be as bad. That and I fear driving it will give a chance for something else to break on it. I am just thankful that my wife works from home, I am able to drive her Audi into work each day.

hannity
04-19-11, 04:40 PM
Time to give Cadillac a call.

My running boards are acting up again.

hcvone
04-19-11, 05:04 PM
I had to learn the hard way. I never had an American car before because I always heard that the quality is bad and they are prone to problems. My wife and I got to a point where it was time for me to get a new truck. And alas instead of me waiting on the redesign of the QX56 like I had planned on I went ahead and got a platinum escalade. Big mistake. I have had many problems with this truck. I am not driving it so I can keep the mileage down so when I get enough money to get into a new deal on a QX the trade in value won't be as bad. That and I fear driving it will give a chance for something else to break on it. I am just thankful that my wife works from home, I am able to drive her Audi into work each day.

There are good ones and bad ones in every make, have had some good Benz's and some were junk, same with my range rover's, believe it or not even with now owning 7 escalade's they have spent the least amount of time in the shop of any car/truck I have ever owned, and that's over 50 cars and trucks, but then again I am old. I just got an 11' platinum, and while it's nicer than my other standard ones it's not worth the extra 8k and I would not have purchased it but got a great deal where it was half that difference.

2007caddy
04-19-11, 11:33 PM
I agree with hcvone, most reliable truck I have ever owned.......I don't understand why you own a 2010 Platinum that is clearly under warranty and you are afraid to drive it....that's beyond me....American vehicles have come along way in regards to reliability and in my opinion all the MAJOR makes are very similar reliability wise...keep in mind there are lemons in any make and I would think you have one, but letting it sit in the garage does not help.....keep us posted on your QX purchase which I have heard nothing but horror stories about in the past years...hopefully 2012 is a gem...

xxe92xx
04-20-11, 06:21 PM
You are flat out dead wrong, sorry. The EXT and ESV ride very very similar. The ESV and base Escalade ride NOTHING alike. Yes, both have magnetic ride suspensions but they also have different wheelbases and weights. How you would expect them to ride exactly the same is beyond me.

The platinum is certainly not very refined. The interior is nicer with the covered dash, door panels, trim and real wood. The rest of the truck is identical though save a few add ons like the LEDS and front end look....

obviously its not exactly the same, but you make it sound like it is a night and day difference, its not....

Fast Eddie
04-20-11, 11:14 PM
obviously its not exactly the same, but you make it sound like it is a night and day difference, its not....

As an owner of both trucks, both 2010, I can tell you that there is a huge difference.

Hannity- As far as reliability goes, I have had 8 full size GM trucks and I have been to the dealer twice for warranty work. They seem to be extremely reliable. I would try and work out things with the dealer. I would be cautious with the QX, the horror stories I have heard are not for the faint of heart...

Marcusjohn
04-21-11, 01:07 AM
I have the ESV and I wouldn't get the short one for sure.

From a basic physics point of view the rotational inertia increases with the square of the distance from the axis. So, imagine a horizontal rotational axis that goes through the middle of the back seat doors. This is would be an axis that goes from left to right. So, a little bit of increasing length gigantically increases the inertial resistance to rotation about this imaginary axis. Hence, the longer vehicle has a much smoother ride due to it's much higher resistance to porpoising type of ride. Plus, I get to carry a family of six and all their stuff in the back. It's a no brainer for me. I love the big escalades, and Denali's for that matter. I do believe the ride is much smoother. The wind resistance is identical, so the gas mileage is nearly the same. To me, there is no downside to the long one.

zam2000
04-21-11, 02:04 AM
Here in SoCal, used car market, a comparable ESV would cost at least 2-3K more than a short wheel base. If you are looking for popular color (black, pear white), most dealer have very few, and it's unlikely you can strike deal for them. Great deals could be found on short wheel base. Simply look at craiglist of dealer listing, you'll see what I mean. Plenty of 07-08 short wheel base go for 30-32/33. Hardly any ESV bellow 37/38

So I guess the desire for long wheel base ESV is regional ?

As for the ride, my wife, who can't tell the difference between anything on wheels, complained that the ride on the short wheel base is too stiff, so we went with the ESV.

I have the ESV and I wouldn't get the short one for sure.

From a basic physics point of view the rotational inertia increases with the square of the distance from the axis. So, imagine a horizontal rotational axis that goes through the middle of the back seat doors. This is would be an axis that goes from left to right. So, a little bit of increasing length gigantically increases the inertial resistance to rotation about this imaginary axis. Hence, the longer vehicle has a much smoother ride due to it's much higher resistance to porpoising type of ride. Plus, I get to carry a family of six and all their stuff in the back. It's a no brainer for me. I love the big escalades, and Denali's for that matter. I do believe the ride is much smoother. The wind resistance is identical, so the gas mileage is nearly the same. To me, there is no downside to the long one.

Fast Eddie
04-23-11, 12:14 PM
Here in SoCal, used car market, a comparable ESV would cost at least 2-3K more than a short wheel base. If you are looking for popular color (black, pear white), most dealer have very few, and it's unlikely you can strike deal for them. Great deals could be found on short wheel base. Simply look at craiglist of dealer listing, you'll see what I mean. Plenty of 07-08 short wheel base go for 30-32/33. Hardly any ESV bellow 37/38

So I guess the desire for long wheel base ESV is regional ?

As for the ride, my wife, who can't tell the difference between anything on wheels, complained that the ride on the short wheel base is too stiff, so we went with the ESV.

Same here- There is a $3-5k difference in price here on LI (NY) between the ESVs and base Escalades.