: PVC valve,where are you?

eldoedwardo
04-12-11, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone,,this sounds so rooky--fied, I've been a wrenchhead since I was ten but I cant find an actual pvc valve on my '99 eldo Y engine. I found a rubber grommet with a 90 degree el .500 id leading under the cover but it goes the the next inboard block from the throttle body. I've been told by the local parts houses,I wont mention names, that it is' typically on top coming out of a valve cover' they may be correct but I cant find it..As you guys know most of the time N* and typical are not generally used in the same paragraph.....come out..come out where ever you are! thanks Ed

vincentm
04-12-11, 12:47 PM
Here ya go, from my AllData:

"PURPOSE
A Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system is used to prevent blow-by gases from escaping to the atmosphere by routing them through a vacuum controlled ventilation valve, into the intake manifold. Fresh air from the air cleaner is pulled into the crankcase, mixed with blow-by gases and then combined with the air/fuel mixture and are burned in the combustion chamber.

OPERATION
The primary control is through the PCV valve which meters the flow at a rate dependent upon manifold vacuum. To maintain idle quality, the PCV valve restricts the flow when intake manifold vacuum is high. If abnormal operating conditions arise, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow-by gases to back flow through the crankcase vent tube into the air cleaner to be consumed by normal combustion.

SYSTEM FAULTS
A plugged PCV valve or hose may cause:

Rough idle.
Stalling or slow idle speed.
Oil leaks.
Oil in air cleaner.
Sludge in engine.

A leaking valve or hose could cause:

Rough idle.
Stalling.
Erratic idle speed."

eldoedwardo
04-12-11, 02:04 PM
thanks vincentm, yeehaw, i found it, i found it! There it was trying to hide behind the coil pack! Plus theres a yea buddy invovled.I found two boots severely split on the mixed air side in the process. Those are probably the 'whodoo's' I've been chasing for over a month..I thank you for the info, i am most gracious. I'm pleased also because i was huntin' down the right trail,i knew i was'nt crazy,yet! later going to NAPA

vincentm
04-12-11, 04:20 PM
If you dont have either, get a Factory service Manual or an All Data DIY subscription, it's worth it. glad i can help :)

eldoedwardo
04-14-11, 12:43 PM
thanks, I called the auto parts store and the cost was 5.99 per boot,not bad really, called dealer the complete unit two boots and the hard line 7.84 who would have thought that? they called the warehouse and its on its way...cool

vincentm
04-14-11, 12:56 PM
:thumbsup: