: lifting magnet question

whoareyou4
04-11-11, 09:16 PM
I'm almost sure I won't get an answer but I will ask it any way.
How do you remove the lifting magnet from the ignition switch? All Data makes it sound so easy, it just says "remove lifting magnet" and thats it. It looks like there maybe two clips or retainers, one on the front side(engine) and one on the rear(driver), and another clip on the left side. I just don't want to break anything so I am kind of leery

imprezave
04-11-11, 11:13 PM
Sorry i cant answer your question. But i see this all the time in manuals too. Its really annoying.

investor74
04-12-11, 12:07 AM
My Repair Manual has the following steps:

1. Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil.
2. Remove the ignition switch set screw.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position
4. Insert a small flatbladed tool into the ignition switch connector hole in order to depress the locking tab.
5. Pull the connector from the ignition switch.
6. Remove the ignition switch.

There is a different procedure to remove the lock cylinder, let me know if you want me to post it.

Hope this helps!

whoareyou4
04-12-11, 06:25 PM
Okay here is what I am up against the black thing with the green and red wires is the lifting magnet, you can see a 'seam' between the lifting magnet and the switch. The inner black object is the switch, so the lifting magnet needs to be removed first. So it is LM, than the switch up agaist the steering column. So my question is how is the LM attached/retained to the switch?
It just does not come off so it has to be retained somehow via clips etc. There is a clip on the bottom and there are two other clips on either side of the square knub on the bottom of the switch. There is something that fits inside of the square knub which I assume is the magnet portion of the LM. This is on a 2001 Catera. I would have thought the LM would just separate but it won't and I don't want to break something

whoareyou4
04-16-11, 11:01 AM
Anybody have any thoughts ...

whoareyou4
04-18-11, 06:13 PM
So from what I gather the lifting magnet fits in the 'box' on the bottom of the ignition switch. I have seen the part on a Vauxhall parts site. I am not sure how the large connector with the red and green wire is removed. Alldata has no details as well as the 2001 Catera Service manuals. The drawings just say "remove the lifting magnet", well it's just not that simple, and the drawings show nothing directly underneath the ignition switch. So all I am trying to find out is how do you remove the electrical connector?

Catera V
04-27-11, 02:02 AM
Sure looks like you push in on the legs. I see two but there is probably a third.