: Upper pulley

whytediamond
04-11-11, 08:30 PM
Anyone able to swap the upper pulley without pulling off the snout? Is this possible? I have the Wait4me upper that doesnt need pinning and will be doing the swap soon and would rather not pull the snout if it can be avoided. Thoughts? Thanks.

shade
04-11-11, 10:20 PM
You need to pull the snout if you are going to press it on the right way. To pull the snout you also need to loosen the bolts on the blower so you can lift it up a little. The snout wont come out unless the blower is loosened. It doesnt take long to get the snout off maybe an hour. Be very careful with the blower bolts they appear to be either aluminum or a light steel and require very little torque when tightening them back down, so be careful or they will break.
I think they needed to be tightened in a specific order but I could be wrong.
Also to help prevent belt slip you should get a bigger idler pulley.
I went this route and have no belt slip whatsoever

whytediamond
04-11-11, 10:42 PM
You need to pull the snout if you are going to press it on the right way. To pull the snout you also need to loosen the bolts on the blower so you can lift it up a little. The snout wont come out unless the blower is loosened. It doesnt take long to get the snout off maybe an hour. Be very careful with the blower bolts they appear to be either aluminum or a light steel and require very little torque when tightening them back down, so be careful or they will break.
I think they needed to be tightened in a specific order but I could be wrong.
Also to help prevent belt slip you should get a bigger idler pulley.
I went this route and have no belt slip whatsoever

Did you also do the isolator while you were in there? Hopefully someone can chime in on whether or not the blower bolts need to be tightened in a certain order? This is the first I have heard of this. Thanks for the reply.

Tony407
04-12-11, 03:43 AM
Wait4Me has a good video of this on YouTube. Not sure about tightening the bolts in a specific order, but it wouldn't surprise me if you started in the center and worked your way out.

It really doesn't look too hard, although I'm not sure I want to take the plunge and start pulling the engine apart on my $65K car.

Tony

Domsz06
04-12-11, 07:55 AM
just a rule of thumb I'd always tighten in a circle pattern starting in the middle and moving out on anything that has lots of bolts on it...

Ah tony, your not tearing it apart that much :devil: ;)

6speeder
04-12-11, 08:39 AM
I've got the upper and yes, you do need to loosen the supercharger and remove the snout. Yes, there is a specific order and torque setting (very small, inch pounds) for the upper cover bolts.

A couple more points: When we pressed on the new pulley it jammed on the snout. My snout's casting was not round, it was egg shaped and we ended up grinding off maybe 1/8" off of the widest part.

I did not run a bigger idler pulley and am not experiencing any belt slip.

Some folks say the stock pulley will be ruined when removed, mine wasn't, it's perfect and could be put back on without a problem.

CTSV4now
04-12-11, 09:36 AM
Lingenfelter has instructions on their site on changing the upper pulley.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/sites/lingenfelter.managecontent.com/files/L250070709%20Lingenfelter%202009-2010%20CTS-V%20LSA%20Supercharger%20Pulley%20Upgrade%20Kit%20 v1.5%20small.pdf

shade
04-12-11, 03:46 PM
Did you also do the isolator while you were in there? Hopefully someone can chime in on whether or not the blower bolts need to be tightened in a certain order? This is the first I have heard of this. Thanks for the reply.

As 6speeder said when you tighten the blower bolts back down I think its like 15 inch lbs or something small like that. I did do the isolator even though mine wasnt rattling like others. I did see the nice groove it started to make on the shaft.

Overall its a fairly straight forward install and like 6speeder also said we pulled the original pulley off without harming it in any way. When I go to sell or rid of the car it can go back on with no problems.

whytediamond
04-13-11, 12:18 AM
Thanks alot guys, very helpfull info. I think i'll pull the trigger and get it done and join the bye bye warranty club. If only GM would do these upgrades and warranty them, I would pay a high premium for that. Thanks again.

shade
04-13-11, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately Ford does these upgrades under warranty for their GT500's and things like that. Definiately wish GM did something similar