: Question regarding new 2010 STS

chinorider
04-11-11, 01:32 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a new 2010 STS :D to replace the wife's 2000 SLS which is out of warranty ans beginning to act its age.

My question is: Are there any issues with the 2010 STS that I should be aware of ?

Many thanks

chazglenn3
04-11-11, 03:06 PM
Not that I know of. Being new you will have a bumper-to-bumper warranty. If you plan to keep it past the warranty, I would suggest buying a GM extended warranty. The advanced systems and parts are expensive to fix when they do start to go. I bought a '05 STS V8 a couple of months ago with 85K miles on it, and I have spent $200 on it so far to fix a couple of items. I also purchased an extended warranty.

SlickCityStan
04-11-11, 04:28 PM
make sure you take it on an extended test drive and try to find a road with a lot of irregularities. The driving experience of the STS is totally unlike the Seville.

chazglenn3
04-11-11, 09:43 PM
Good advice, Stan. Especially if the car has magnetic ride control and/or all wheel drive. The harshest ride is a car equipped with both.

jimmbo
04-12-11, 09:14 AM
Even the softest ride is still brutal to ones Kidneys.

chinorider
04-12-11, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. We will test drive it today to be sure she likes the ride. She is not excited about the ride of my CTS....;)

jimmbo
04-13-11, 12:20 AM
The last car that rode like a Cadillac was the 1992 RWD Brougham

EChas3
04-13-11, 11:25 PM
If it's being sold as used, get the Certified Preowned Warranty (6 years 100k from in-service date).

If it's really new, expect 10-15% off MSRP. Browse the opinion threads.

turnne
04-14-11, 07:55 PM
If it's being sold as used, get the Certified Preowned Warranty (6 years 100k from in-service date).

If it's really new, expect 10-15% off MSRP. Browse the opinion threads.
If it is truly a "NEW" 2010..I would say pay 25% off MSRP

Think about it...a poor resale car about to be discontinued and replaced by something else that will be a 2012 or even possibly a 2013 model..depending on when it comes out

So...right off the lot..you basically have a 2 year old discontinued model

remember..at 2 years old these cars are priced at 50% of their MSRP

As a car dealer once told me..
as soon as the new model year rolls into the showroom everything else just got a year older in regard to values

Warren

EChas3
04-14-11, 10:18 PM
Back in 2008, a 1-year-old STS was priced at 50% MSRP. A 3-year-old lease car was at 30% MSRP. IMHO, the market is still rebounding from 'Cash-for-Clunkers'. It was such a waste to destroy cars with years of usefull life.

It's gonna get worse, yet. All prices are up. Gas, Food, etc. Anybody seen the price of diesel? Figure on 10% unemployment (include those no longer receiving benefits or making half what they used to and is it really 25%?) We are entering the double-dip of terrible economic times, unless you believe the 'spin'.

Buy now while you can still enjoy it. Everything is on it's way up!

turnne
04-15-11, 08:10 AM
Back in 2008, a 1-year-old STS was priced at 50% MSRP. A 3-year-old lease car was at 30% MSRP. IMHO, the market is still rebounding from 'Cash-for-Clunkers'. It was such a waste to destroy cars with years of usefull life.

It's gonna get worse, yet. All prices are up. Gas, Food, etc. Anybody seen the price of diesel? Figure on 10% unemployment (include those no longer receiving benefits or making half what they used to and is it really 25%?) We are entering the double-dip of terrible economic times, unless you believe the 'spin'.

Buy now while you can still enjoy it. Everything is on it's way up!

a lot of speculation there.
I agree with your used values of used STS...and really isn't there something to be said for that..wow...how can anything lose that much value that quickly?..that says the market things the car is grossly overpriced don't you think?
I don't see much difference in where the values are falling today.....I see less than than $10K 2005 models with over 75K. The current value falls right in line with where the former body style values were. The more optioned cars seem to lose more , as a percentage of their original price.
I think its 14K off a new STS at my local Caddy dealer
GM used cars might have trended upward because of the terrible financial shape they were in before the government bailout. The non GM and Chrysler models not so much. I don't see any difference in BMW, Lexus or Mercedes used car values pre or post cash for clunkers or GM/Chrysler bailout periods.
Pre gov't bailout financial situations had to have run more than a few people away from a GM product..knowing they had an uncertain future.
I won't even go there talking about stock losses in the two companies and the opinion that the govt''s intervention was throwing good money after bad
Surely you understand that is going to impact both Pontiac and Saturn used car values....look at what the discounts on them were..as new cars after it was announced they were being discontinued

Look at the value of a used Oldsmobile....another good example of what happens after a product is discontinued

As for cash for clunkers..why not?
Getting a newer vehicle on the road and giving an incentive for someone to buy something
Based on what I saw being traded in..I am happy some of them were off the road

Your definition of useful life and some one else's can vary widely

For instance..I believe that you traded an STS with a myriad of the typical issues..head gasket..leaks etc

Some have had those items fixed...so did you trade a vehicle that had useful life?

Warren

z06bigbird
04-16-11, 04:50 PM
If it is truly a "NEW" 2010..I would say pay 25% off MSRP

Think about it...a poor resale car about to be discontinued and replaced by something else that will be a 2012 or even possibly a 2013 model..depending on when it comes out

So...right off the lot..you basically have a 2 year old discontinued model

remember..at 2 years old these cars are priced at 50% of their MSRP

As a car dealer once told me..
as soon as the new model year rolls into the showroom everything else just got a year older in regard to values

Warren

That depends!

Are you selling him your year-old car?

or

Is he selling you a year-old car?

turnne
04-17-11, 08:30 PM
That depends!

Are you selling him your year-old car?

or

Is he selling you a year-old car?

doesn't matter

If someone buys a brand new 2010 STS right now and doesn't make that fact known...IMO..they are not a very good negotiator

But the dealers LOVES that type of customer

Trust me..I had a really good time with my saleman when I was trading in the 02...worth $3500 at the time..and buying the 05

He found it very hard to talk out of both sides of his mouth on the value that these care retain when I drove up in a 02 "case in point"

and based on that 27% of sticker I paid for for the 05...as I told the salesman.."the tradition" continues

Warren

EChas3
04-18-11, 09:21 PM
My wife was just at her dealer swapping on the Summer rubber; they had a 'new' 2006 AWD STS in white with 286 miles on it and asking $38,000. They told her it had never been titled and still carried the OEM 4-year, 48,000 mile warranty. They said 'loaded' but she didn't have details... let's assume a 1SG.

Sight unseen, I think it needs new tires, battery & who knows what else. I can't figure the why, but this car has essentially sat aging for 5 years. I think $25,000 might be closer to its true value. What's a 'new' old STS worth?

turnne
04-19-11, 10:42 AM
My wife was just at her dealer swapping on the Summer rubber; they had a 'new' 2006 AWD STS in white with 286 miles on it and asking $38,000. They told her it had never been titled and still carried the OEM 4-year, 48,000 mile warranty. They said 'loaded' but she didn't have details... let's assume a 1SG.

Sight unseen, I think it needs new tires, battery & who knows what else. I can't figure the why, but this car has essentially sat aging for 5 years. I think $25,000 might be closer to its true value. What's a 'new' old STS worth?

Ok..lets say it was a 1SG...which would make it the exact duplicate of my car with the difference of a year newer...I also assume it had HUD and ACC

That means the window sticker was almost right at $68K

So..making the assumption of its $25K value...which sounds accurate to me..the car has lost $43K in value just sitting there
I also the assumption that the dealer is going to replace those items you mentioned as part of the sale...if not..the car will cost you more to buy or it has lost more value...depending if you are on the buy or the sell side of the deal

So..imagine the same car with 50K miles in immaculate condition....subtract $10K? to come up with a $15K retail value

Those sound like some fair numbers to me
Knowing that even if you bought the "new" 2006..as soon 2011 STS is gone and the 2012( whatever they call it replacement) comes out you will have a 6 year old Cadillac STS..it gets even worse if the replacement is badged as a 2013

Anyway..you have a 6 year old STS
A low mileage one...but still one that will plummet in value from the $25K you paid pretty quickly to under 15K in the first 2 years or 20K miles that you own it
The 2005+ cars fall in value faster than the previous bodystyle. This is especially true of the more loaded V8 examples

After the value falls to 10K on the STS it seems to get a bit slower to the bottom and unless something is obviously wrong with it ; the value stays even at $6-7K( retail) or $4-5K wholesale for a long while

Warren

EChas3
04-19-11, 09:03 PM
I didn't say she bought it. She's not even particularly tempted. Her 2007 still has less than 50,000 miles on the clock. A trade always always costs something, even if it's just inspection, tax, title, time, odds & ends.

I'm not interested either. But it is an oddity...

chazglenn3
04-19-11, 09:05 PM
And I'll bet it is a V6 car...what is the name of the dealer?

EChas3
04-19-11, 09:37 PM
I didn't see it on their website:

EVS (http://www.buyevscars.com/index.htm)

z06bigbird
04-19-11, 10:33 PM
doesn't matter

If someone buys a brand new 2010 STS right now and doesn't make that fact known...IMO..they are not a very good negotiator

But the dealers LOVES that type of customer

Trust me..I had a really good time with my saleman when I was trading in the 02...worth $3500 at the time..and buying the 05

He found it very hard to talk out of both sides of his mouth on the value that these care retain when I drove up in a 02 "case in point"

and based on that 27% of sticker I paid for for the 05...as I told the salesman.."the tradition" continues

Warren

Neighbor 'A' trades in a red p/u truck. Salesman tells him that red trucks are hard to sell. A few days later, Neighbor 'B' goes in to buy the same red truck. Same salesman says: "Dealership is asking a premium price because red trucks are so popular, and the demand for a red truck is high.

We all need to do our homework when buying or selling.

turnne
04-20-11, 07:45 AM
Neighbor 'A' trades in a red p/u truck. Salesman tells him that red trucks are hard to sell. A few days later, Neighbor 'B' goes in to buy the same red truck. Same salesman says: "Dealership is asking a premium price because red trucks are so popular, and the demand for a red truck is high.

We all need to do our homework when buying or selling.

do you think there are many people that are that naive in today's world?

In the day of widespread internet shopping and research..I really doubt they get that many customers like that

Or better said..I am sure that is by far the exception and not the norm

When I walked into the Cadillac dealer...I had comps on both what my car was worth as well as what his was worth..printed out

Cut the negotiating time down greatly. Even with that they threw a deal out that was $1000 more. I went home. He called me 30 mins later and we settled at $250 more than my initial offer

Not that there was n't another vehicle out there that was less..it was that I was going to have to fly and get it and drive it back and based on the traveling costs I would have been about even

That and the fact that my 02 had over 120K on the clock and a little bird was telling me something was about to break t would not be cheap...so I wanted to dump it before I had to put money into it....based on its then current low market value

Warren

turnne
04-20-11, 07:48 AM
I didn't say she bought it. She's not even particularly tempted. Her 2007 still has less than 50,000 miles on the clock. A trade always always costs something, even if it's just inspection, tax, title, time, odds & ends.

I'm not interested either. But it is an oddity...

I don't think I would interested either..unless its a loaded V8 and the negotiation started at under $25K

The minute you drive off the lot its a 6 year used Cadillac with low mileage

Warren