: The WRONG way to tow a C5

Nutz
04-11-11, 09:06 AM
Ouch!! The tow truck operator does EVERYTHING wrong.
riEUNA7cZMg#at=314

OffThaHorseCEO
04-11-11, 10:44 AM
thats really messed up.

Stingroo
04-11-11, 11:14 AM
I had to stop it after he dropped the car. Ergh. Makes me sick just thinking about it. If I were the owner of that car and saw this video I'd be going on a rampage.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-11-11, 11:21 AM
I had to stop it after he dropped the car. Ergh. Makes me sick just thinking about it. If I were the owner of that car and saw this video I'd be going on a rampage.

the bad thing is i expected that as the video progressed i would see the tow truck guy come and see the damage, do a double take followed by one of these
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/kbfmedia/kbfmedia0908/kbfmedia090800154/5446494-a-young-kid-is-crying-holding-two-hands-to-his-forehead.jpg
then jump on the phone with someone.

Instead he acted like he didnt even see it

gary88
04-11-11, 11:35 AM
IDOT at their best.

Not too long ago I saw them towing an M3, same deal with it jacked up to the point where the front lip scrapes.

thebigjimsho
04-11-11, 11:38 AM
So did he never get the forks properly under the wheels? Or was that what the chains were supposed to do?

V-Eight
04-11-11, 02:04 PM
That made me cringe

Rolex
04-11-11, 03:13 PM
That was PAINFUL to watch. If you showed up to tow my Vette away you'd better have a flatbed truck or GTFO!

Nutz
04-11-11, 04:03 PM
I had to stop it after he dropped the car. Ergh. Makes me sick just thinking about it. If I were the owner of that car and saw this video I'd be going on a rampage.You missed the best part at the end, where he tows it away dragging the driveway frame bumpers on the ground, sparking like the Hemi Underglass.

So did he never get the forks properly under the wheels? Or was that what the chains were supposed to do?Correct. He lifted the car with all four clamps BEHIND the wheels, and decided just to chain it. You can see the car rock back when the chains get tight as he pulls away. Really stoopid.

JimmyH
04-11-11, 04:12 PM
I am trying to figure out why he would invite an idot tow truck, that is designed to tow other trucks, to tow his corvette.

You don't need a flatbed. You run a greater risk of damage getting the car up onto the flatbed. I have personally watched guys from the towing company we contract with, pull into our parking lot, turn the car 180 (if needed), and get out, in under 5 minutes, with nary a scratch or scrape. Less than two minutes if the correct axle is pointing out for them. These guys are pros. The operator in that video was obviously a n00b.

Stingroo
04-11-11, 04:13 PM
That was PAINFUL to watch. If you showed up to tow my Vette away you'd better have a flatbed truck or GTFO!

I'd say the same for ANY RWD vehicle. Haven't had to tow the wagon yet, though. *knocks on wooden desk*

Playdrv4me
04-11-11, 10:17 PM
I am trying to figure out why he would invite an idot tow truck, that is designed to tow other trucks, to tow his corvette.

You don't need a flatbed. You run a greater risk of damage getting the car up onto the flatbed. I have personally watched guys from the towing company we contract with, pull into our parking lot, turn the car 180 (if needed), and get out, in under 5 minutes, with nary a scratch or scrape. Less than two minutes if the correct axle is pointing out for them. These guys are pros. The operator in that video was obviously a n00b.

I agree, flatbeds used in the wrong way, on the wrong surface, or on a car that is painfully low to the ground can be a disaster and particularly if the car won't move under it's own power.

When my 325Ci convertible shit a tire on the side of the highway (followed subsequently by locking my keys in it by accident), I actually had to call 3 or 4 tow companies, and the one who finally sent out a truck had to go BACK to their yard and try again in the morning with one of their specialized low profile ramp things. Some of them even told me they MIGHT be able to pull it off with the regular ramps, but they just couldn't risk the liability, especially since I had pulled onto the soft shoulder (dirt) to stay away from blind traffic coming around the bend behind me.

thebigjimsho
04-11-11, 10:37 PM
Flatbed is best as long as the car is lifted properly.

JimmyH
04-12-11, 09:23 AM
I suppose. The one time one of my cars was loaded on a flatbed, I cringed as he was loading it. It came very close to scraping several times. And then all the chains and straps digging in to the body every where. I was more comfortable with my car on a traditional tow truck.

orconn
04-12-11, 02:35 PM
With unibody cars, whether FWD or RWD, I always request a flatbed tow truck. Over the years I haven't really had much used for a tow truck .... except for my E-type, and I always was their to see it properly and safely loaded.

Jesda
04-12-11, 08:38 PM
I suppose. The one time one of my cars was loaded on a flatbed, I cringed as he was loading it. It came very close to scraping several times. And then all the chains and straps digging in to the body every where. I was more comfortable with my car on a traditional tow truck.

That's what you get for being a ricer, brah

JimmyH
04-12-11, 08:44 PM
Fo shizzle

jordan00escalade
04-12-11, 09:54 PM
what are the qualifications for a tow truck driver now days...a pulse? when he walked back to hook up the car, the driver's body language said, "fack his corvette.. the owner can buy a new one, rich MF" charlie murphy.. I would have had the company by the balls behind that tow. Sickning

billc83
04-13-11, 12:37 AM
This video will be good evidence when the company gets taken to court after denying the damage done.

JimmyH
04-13-11, 12:29 PM
what are the qualifications for a tow truck driver now days...a pulse? when he walked back to hook up the car, the driver's body language said, "fack his corvette.. the owner can buy a new one, rich MF" charlie murphy.. I would have had the company by the balls behind that tow. Sickning

How much do you want to pay for a tow? Unless you want to pay a fortunate, minimum wage drivers is what you are going to get.

2005CTS-V
04-14-11, 12:22 PM
I had my Vette flat bedded a few times, they always brought ramp extenders (wood planks) to reduce the angle of entry, even then the rubber air dam would scrape briefly before going up.