: Design of Instrument Panel Drivers Side Center Air Vent By Radio Controls

Cooper10
04-10-11, 04:03 PM
You would think after 100 years of building automobiles, Cadillac designs an instrument panel drivers side center air vent where the air flow is blocked by the steering wheel. Any agreement on this design flaw?
Thanks

stevec5375
04-10-11, 04:11 PM
You would think after 100 years of building automobiles, Cadillac designs an instrument panel drivers side center air vent where the air flow is blocked by the steering wheel. Any agreement on this design flaw?
Thanks

If you mean the steering wheel blocks you from being able to direct it toward your face, then yes, I would agree that is a design flaw. However, if no customers are calling them to complain, then what incentive do they have to change it?

Smokin' SRX
04-10-11, 04:16 PM
Yes. Frustrating. It's a no-win situation. I had another car where it was more to left and my hand on the wheel blocked it! Best solution probably would be another, centered vent, just for driver. I saw it a once. Chrysler? But dash real estate is at a premium today.

The vent at far left is always depleted by a sunny window it seems.....
SS

stevec5375
04-10-11, 04:24 PM
Whatever happen to those crotch vents cars used to have? The FDA probably made them stop using them to avoid reduced fertility rates.

Cooper10
04-10-11, 05:42 PM
Steering wheel does block air flow from center drivers side vent from hitting face. We have no way of tracking which customers are complaining about these issues. General Motors will never disclose these issues with design flaws. The next generation SRX will most likely have a different air vent placement in model year 2014-2015. Its amazing that the 2012
SRX will now have the DI 3.6l engine only after 2 model years 2010 and 2011. All the automobile magazines wrote that the 3.0 in the SRX was underpowered. Magazine articles seem to only write about 0-60 and the number of cup holders and never mention the climate control system.
How many forum members complained to the service department about the air vent placement? The Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain share the same air vent placemant being thay all built on the the same SRX platform.

stevec5375
04-10-11, 06:00 PM
Cooper10, I see you are from a southern state like me (Texas). If those engineers in Detroit had to endure summer temps like we do they'd get the vent placement fixed real quickly.

TheCaptain
04-10-11, 06:15 PM
Sorry, i like that vent there. I use it to blow main air on the wheel so it stays somewhat cool, and indirect air unto me. I like it and think its a time tested design done well.
:p

Besides, what happened to the big honkin centre vent? You guys blowing that out the sunroof or what?

Cooper10
04-10-11, 06:24 PM
Steve,
The car companies use a hidden area of Tampa International Airport to test painted body panels. The intense sun in Tampa
causes the paint to burn off the metal over time. We should place the engineers in the intense heat a see how fast they design a climate control system that refreshes you quickly. Being we dont drive naked, the only exposed area of skin is our face. The body regulates heat by sweating and evaporation. If you have a cool breeze(a/c air vent) on your face when hot you feel refreshed.

Smokin' SRX
04-12-11, 01:14 PM
Whatever happen to those crotch vents cars used to have? The FDA probably made them stop using them to avoid reduced fertility rates.

:histeric:

GMJim
04-12-11, 07:10 PM
The question is, what stupid designer put a steering wheel in the middle of the drivers
side?

Marc NY
04-13-11, 07:35 AM
Cooper10, I see you are from a southern state like me (Texas). If those engineers in Detroit had to endure summer temps like we do they'd get the vent placement fixed real quickly.The Air vents works just fine for me in NY. :yawn: