: TPMS/after market radio

mastadan20
04-10-11, 12:31 AM
I have a 06 sts v6 and i would like to add TPMS on it...can i get some put on at the dealership since the car didnt come with them from the factory?......and has anyone added a after market 7'' indash to their 06 sts w/o navi?

ddalder
04-10-11, 02:38 PM
I doubt you'll find a dealership to add the factory TPMS. I've never looked too far into this as mine has the system, but I can tell you the remote control door lock receiver and the instrument cluster are key components to this. It may be as easy as an option configuration change in the instrument panel module and addition of the sensors, or as much as replacing the RCDLR and instrument cluster in addition to adding sensors.

As for replacing your stereo with an aftermarket system, this is possible too. The problem is some vehicle personalization settings are made using the radio and you won't have the ability to change any of these settings with an aftermarket stereo. You'll also lose things such as OnStar, XM radio, steering wheel controls (audio) and warning chimes without the addition of extra aftermarket modules in addition to the stereo. This is something I would ever do because IMO it's just too much hassle.

mastadan20
04-10-11, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the much needed info bro

caddyfat2
04-11-11, 09:27 AM
I thought ALL 05 and up STS' had TPMS as standard equipment.

Frikiton
04-11-11, 09:40 PM
I need to buy 3 TPMS , if you know where let me know

chazglenn3
04-11-11, 10:29 PM
Go to your local Discount Tire if you have them in your area. I got one installed for $60.

mastadan20
04-11-11, 10:31 PM
i went to the dealership where i bought the car due to my R/F tire keep loosing air.....and the customer service guy said only the 08 and up has the TPMS....im not sure if thats true....

chazglenn3
04-11-11, 10:32 PM
I thought ALL 05 and up STS' had TPMS as standard equipment.

They were only included on V6 cars with the 1SC package and V8 cars with either the 1SF or 1SG packages.

mastadan20
04-11-11, 11:06 PM
so is there away to add them on the caddy?

chazglenn3
04-12-11, 12:59 AM
I think you can add anything to any car. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. I would check with the dealer (who will probably say it can't be done like adding nav to a non-nav car...even though it can be done) or a tire store like Discount Tire.

caddyfat2
04-12-11, 09:54 AM
i went to the dealership where i bought the car due to my R/F tire keep loosing air.....and the customer service guy said only the 08 and up has the TPMS....im not sure if thats true....

That's not true. I have them on my 2005 STS and I thought it was mandated in 2002 that all cars in the US had to have some sort of TPMS.

ddalder
04-12-11, 09:37 PM
Taking into consideration this is from Wikipedia, and accuracy may not be guaranteed, I found the following...

The Firestone recall in the United States in the late 1990s, which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following a tire tread-separation, pushed the Clinton administration to publish the TREAD Act. This act mandated the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) sold after September 1, 2007.

And goes on to say...

In the U.S., as of 2008 and the EU, as of 2012, all new models of passenger cars must be equipped with a TPMS system. There is still considerable debate as to whether the indirect systems (which are currently eligible) will be accurate enough to achieve the objectives of introducing mandatory TPMS fitment.
Also, having looked at the build on some STS's, not all did have TPMS. I can't say for sure if the vehicles without are export or not, but there are definitely some gaps where this feature was not included in every build.

chazglenn3
04-13-11, 10:05 AM
The information that I mentioned came from the 2005 STS ordering guide. It shows the TMPS as part of the 1SC package for V6 cars and part of the 1SF and 1SG packages for V8 cars...if these packages weren't ordered, you didn't get TMPS. Again, this is the 2005 guide. I don't have any of the other years.

EChas3
04-14-11, 12:04 AM
My wife's 2007 1SE has it but as a Hertz car it has an odd build sheet in several respects, mostly suspension. It rides softer than most but gives up some road-feel.