: Possible sensor / Crankshaft Position Sensor?

stparker89
04-09-11, 09:17 PM
To begin, i apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of Cadillac's as well as incorrect terminology. I have been reading some previous posts by other members and would like to ask a question to the Community. My 1998 Catera I've only owned for a month. There are 2 issues that may relate to each other.

1: After the car had been running for 30mn or so, the fan would come on. After i would stop somewhere, turn off my car, come back minutes later, to only have the engine not power the vehicle back on. Dash lights on, no blinking icon. This issue would correct itself roughly 20-30mn later. This has happened 3x total in the situation of powering the vehicle off, then back on moments later. I have read other posts and wondered if the CPS sensor could potentially be bad?

2: As of yesterday night, My car is unable to shift into 2nd gear. It smoothly shifts upon acceleration. At about 15mph, 2000rmp, it will not proceed to the next gauge.

There has been 2 dash status lights on since I've had this in the top right corner. The radiator symbol, and the circle which I'm under the impression is means low brake pad (my back left brake squeaks)

Is there any feedback that someone can provide me?

Thank you for taking time to help!

-Steve

stparker89
04-09-11, 11:19 PM
Update: The car now goes through 1st fine, then 2nd at about 2-3000 RPM. when going into 3rd gear, it will just rev. I assume it is very damaging to the vehicle to drive it as such. Just wanted to give an update. Thanks

-Steve

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-10-11, 06:07 AM
It is the CPS sensor. I just replaced mine a few days ago, and it starts flawlessly. No more being stuck at a random place for half an hour.

AND, my 98 Catera has the same problem with the 1st gear. Maybe I need to change transmission fluid? or differential fluid?

stparker89
04-10-11, 04:55 PM
Thanks IvoryWhiteCatera!,

Hopefully someone here can suggest something for the 2nd issue we are both having.

I am under the impression that replacing the CPS sensor will fix my 1st issue. I am hopefully going to have time to flush the transmission with my brother this evening. I will post back with my results after the work has been done. I will also be doing some research in the meantime here on the process; Flushing the Transmission fluid.

Thanks!
-Steve

stparker89
04-10-11, 08:26 PM
Update: With the car running and jacked up, My brother and I loosened the Front transmission fluid pan Bolts and it did not leak anything. Side Front and Rear transmission case bolts, nothing leaked either. The car had been running before loosening for 15mn and Temp was normal.

From a previous poster in another thread this was determined to be low transmission fluid. Anyone agree? Is there anything anyone could give some info on? The Transmission Filter seemed new and very clean.

Thanks

-Steve

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-12-11, 03:15 AM
Today, I just experienced the non-starting problem again.

I give up on this car.

stparker89
04-12-11, 04:55 PM
Brought the vehicle into a transmission repair shop. The Transmission had alot of shrapnel inside when bled. Quoted me 1000-2000 to repair. information for those who stumble upon this post, hope this helps.

-Steve