: Motor shake like a cam at idle?

C5James
04-09-11, 06:49 PM
I noticed when at idle my motor shakes almost feeling like I have a performance cam, I asked the dealer and he told me it's normal due to how lean the escalades are tuned from factory.

Anyone else notice? And how true is that statement?

2007XTSDub
04-09-11, 07:44 PM
Lol " How lean they are tuned from the factory". Never heard that one before! They run rich from the factory. It might be caused from a few things. Check your throttle body or time to replace your plug wires. How many miles to you have?

Sent from Android.

DTEK01
04-10-11, 05:16 AM
I have the same thing. New factory plugs, factory wires, throttle body cleaned did not help a bit. Dealer also said lean condition as well...LOL Runs fine though.

C5James
04-10-11, 09:07 AM
I have 77,000km so I'm guessing around 48,000miles?

WaterKing
04-10-11, 03:51 PM
Usually rich as a pig from factory...at least my experience for both 2007 and 2008 Ext's. Is the inside of your exhaust covered with black soot?? That's the giveaway. Mine have a VERY slight shake and both sound like they have overhead cam yammering sound.

DTEK01
04-10-11, 05:03 PM
Mine seems to run better in warm air temps than cold. Wich does kind of indicate it is a little lean. Also has 70k miles so I cannot go by the soot too much. I also put an intake on it and lost alot of initial response.

So I do assume maybe it leaned it to much and that was the reason for the inital loss of tip in response.

All guesses though. Mine shakes quite a bit sometimes at idle. Not a stalling risk shake but it is there.

PreachRR
04-10-11, 05:12 PM
What Gas are you using .. I really only found that shake when I used Citgo gas.. normally she runs pretty smooth..

C5James
04-10-11, 05:28 PM
What octane are you using?

ELUSIVE
04-10-11, 07:01 PM
My 5 month old ESV does this. Drives me nuts.
4,200 miles. Premium fuel only.

DTEK01
04-10-11, 08:58 PM
I run 89 now but tried 91 as well for awhile to see. Also any Chevron, 76, Citgo, Arco, Shell...they all do the same thing. There is not one thing I tried that changed anything. I even tried restting the computer numerous times in between certain changes.

If I can just fine one thing that makes it worst or better than I can narrow down what it is. At this point it just seems that is the way it is. Hard for me to believe a Cadillac would idle like this and not have a crazy amount of complaints.

Almost feels like a small miss. I tried MSD wires and NGK plugs. Then went back to new factory wires and plugs and even with that change nothing changed with the idle.

WaterKing
04-10-11, 10:56 PM
My 2007 (77K) is smoother than the 2008 (17K), but the 2007 has had a custom tune done to it. It also gets better gas mileage than the 2008 which has black sooty exhaust pipes. The 2007 was the same before the tune but now I rarely have to clean the exhaust pipes (Borla's have a noticeable stainless tip that accumulates exhaust residue). I presume that you are talking about a roughness and not a hunting/loping thing. The idle RPM is so low it amazes they never stall. That alone will cause some roughness which if not felt inside the vehicle is OK in my thoughts. Synthetic oils also help reduce this roughness IMHO. I only use premium. And by resetting do you mean disconnecting the battery for at least 30 minutes? That is the only way to get the thing to relearn and it usually will be worse for a short period of time while it is adjusting itself.

DTEK01
04-11-11, 01:06 AM
Yea it is like a lope. it ill smooth out and then shake then smooth out again. But it is only a second in between smooth and shaking. I run synthetic Mobile 1. Yes I unplug the battery overnight. I have also pulled the computer fuses as well before.

If this is normal I am fine with it but I have a feeling it is not or more pronounced than it should be. No codes show. I was hoping maybe I could spot a misfiring col or somthing but the tech said any hint of a misfire will trigger a code.

The only time I got the idle to change was cleaning the throttle body it held the idle high for awhile till it relearned. But once it did and came down to normal after a few drive cycles it was right back to the shake.

So a tuner may be the way to go? What tuner are you running?

WaterKing
04-11-11, 01:32 AM
I had a BlackBear tune done and could not have been happier with the result. Gained both MPG and performance. He adjusted speedo for my tires and cut back on torque management....CAI (GM performance) and Borla Exhaust was installed at that time. Removed speed limitation. Since I lowered it 3" front and back with Ground Force kit everything improved even more. Best money spent to date except for bed slide. I would not get it done until anticipated CAI and exhaust changes made tho.

topspin
04-12-11, 06:17 PM
I have the exact symptoms that's been driving me crazy.

Car is a 2008 ESV with 46K miles, running 93 octane (Shell/Mobil/Exxon) and Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Symptoms:
- While stopped at a red light, in "D," there is a noticeable stutter (almost like a misfire) that shakes the whole car. And when I actually stare at the RPM gauge, I could see the needle moving from low 500s to the mid 500s.
- While in "P," the RPM settles at around 600 and stutters/shakes even more and becomes more intense and more pronounced. What's interesting is, while in Park, when I rev up the RPM to 1K and keep it there for about 10 seconds, I could still feel the same stutter/shake with equal intensity, but it completely disappears at around 1,500 RPMs.
- When I open up the hood, I can literally see the motor shake from side to side, enough to shake the oil dipstick. Thought it may be the motor mounts, but the dealer says no leaks/looks fine.

Tried (All done at the dealer at no cost to me -- I keep going back to complain about this problem):
- Installed new throttle body unit/module (no difference).
- Three-stage carbon cleaning through vacuum lines, fuel tank, and crankcase (no difference).
- Fuel injection cleaning service -- twice (no difference).

I also Seafoamed the car and used 3 cans of BG44K thus far (no difference).

Of course, the dealer says that "everything is within specs" and that they can't do anything unless there's a CEL or a misfire code. Was thinking about getting a predator tuner and putting in a custom tune or use it to at least raise the idle a bit.

I did, however, receive a call from the service writer last week about one of their customers having the same issues as me and had the problem fixed after they replaced all the fuel injectors. So they want me to come in towards the end of the week to have that done (I went to the dealer 7 times thus far for this stuttering problem). Will update you guys on how it fares.

Daniel10Slade
04-12-11, 08:02 PM
I have the same thing on my 2010 Escalade(11,000m) on idle and I never used fuel below the 91-octane rating.

I did not have such a rattle, or a on-off rattle for that matter on my 07 Audi Q7 4.2L Prestige.

Roman29
04-13-11, 07:50 AM
Ребята !!! Поменяйте прошивку в блоке управления двигателем (PCM) и всё пройдет !!!!! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-14-11, 11:03 AM
Thank you for keeping us up to date on your issues topspin. Hopefully they are able to fix this issue for you. If the issue persists please contact me. Daniel10Slade, have you spoken with your dealership yet about this issue? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

slimfro
04-14-11, 03:47 PM
Lol, easy fix guys. The throttle body is just dirty, it's a common GM vehicle problem. If you want to do it yourself just get a can of TB cleaner and an old toothbrush. You will need to clean the MAF sensor since the TB is already dirty which will eventually lead to an engine check light on if not cleaned.

The following link will give you an idea of what to do, DO NOT clean the combustion chamber using seafoam!!! Skip that step and just clean the TB and sensor. Check your air filter too.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54407&start=0

..oh i forgot use some fuel injectors/system cleaner too.

slimfro
04-14-11, 03:52 PM
Good luck folks!

2007cadillacesv
04-14-11, 04:16 PM
slimfro, I wish it were that easy. I have done it all Still has that slight shimmy...

DDUBB
05-04-11, 12:23 PM
I am experiencing the same issue while the truck is at idle. I have taken it to the dealer twice to get looked and nothing was found. I am taking it back to the dealer to have them take a look at the injectors. I have a feeling that this is the issue. If I get this issue resolved I will make sure to post. I dont think "topspin" ever reported if his issue was fixed or not.

Daniel10Slade
05-04-11, 01:14 PM
Thank you for keeping us up to date on your issues topspin. Hopefully they are able to fix this issue for you. If the issue persists please contact me. Daniel10Slade, have you spoken with your dealership yet about this issue? Thank you for your time.

Hi Jeff,

no I haven't spoke to my dealer yet, but im pretty sure they cant resolve it from my previous experiences with them, and fellow caddy members are mentioning it as well.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-06-11, 01:13 PM
Daniel10Slade, have you tried any other Cadillac dealers in your area or and GM dealers? They may be able to shed some light on the situation. If you would like I could also setup a case for you with our Customer Assistance team as well to try and get something done that way as well. DDUBB, hopefully this final trip gets everything sorted out for you. If it doesn't feel free to contact me and I will do the same for you as Daniel10Slade. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

C5James
05-06-11, 10:11 PM
once figured out, please share why. i'm still told that's just the way they trucks are, they shake. find that weird

DDUBB
05-11-11, 03:21 PM
My truck is still at the dealer and they cannot find anything wrong with the injectors. I was told that they did an "ohm?" test on each injector and nothing came back negative. Any thoughts Jeff?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-19-11, 12:00 PM
I'd like to get our Customer Assistance team involved. You may also want to have your dealer check with their TAC group. The TAC group helps the dealers when they are unable to diagnose a vehicle. If you could direct message me your name, address and phone number I'll get you all setup.

DDUBB
05-22-11, 02:38 PM
I'd like to get our Customer Assistance team involved. You may also want to have your dealer check with their TAC group. The TAC group helps the dealers when they are unable to diagnose a vehicle. If you could direct message me your name, address and phone number I'll get you all setup.

Jeff, I can't message you because I am a "new member". Any other ideas?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-11, 01:25 PM
You could e-mail me at socialmedia@gm.com. Simply address it to me and I will reply to you as soon as I can.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Throwback420
02-17-14, 07:32 PM
did you guys ever figure out this problem? Ive noticed this as well but Ive only had my caddy for like 2 weeks. notice it when Im stopped at a red light or crusing at low speeds

ElKompaAndres
02-18-14, 01:22 AM
did you guys ever figure out this problem? Ive noticed this as well but Ive only had my caddy for like 2 weeks. notice it when Im stopped at a red light or crusing at low speeds

I've had my 2007 for a month and it has yhe same thing. I took it to the Cadillac dealer and they said it was a "bad cam" charged around 1200 to open it up and finally say it was normal. good thing the dealer (different than the Cadillac one) I bought it from covers a year warranty so I didn't pay anything. the truck runs great and has no issues but the rough idle, which I'm getting used to now :-/

Throwback420
02-18-14, 04:57 AM
yea Ive had mine for a few weeks but barely starting to notice.
do you guys think cleaning the throttle body, new plugs and wires will help ?? planning on doing this soon and probably getting a CAI

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-19-14, 10:59 AM

Hello Throwback420,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern on your Escalade that you recently purchased. Did you purchase your vehicle at a Cadillac dealership? If so, I would suggest reaching out to their service department to have this looked into further. Please feel free to private message me if you would like any assistance in setting up an appointment.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care