: I need some advice

TWasArroundHere
04-09-11, 09:23 AM
Hey All. I was hoping you can help me. I need some advice.

I've had my 1984 Coupe DeVille for six years now. Shes my baby, and I love her. I've spent over $10,000 dollars over the years restoring this car, and bringing it to glory. My father and I bought it originally for $700 dollars. And its seen everything- weddings, funerals, road trips, you name it. When he died two years ago, it became even more important to me, because it was the only thing he and I had together. We bought it, we fixed it, it was ours. It's the last relic I have left.

Not to say the car itself hasn't been a pain in the butt sometimes. I mean, it breaks on a pretty regular basis. Nothing major, but just random things here and there- but I need all ten fingers to tell you the amount of times its left me on the side of the road. My friends keep telling me "Dude, that car is gorgeous, but its a GM product from teh 80's. They were shit."
I dont think thats the case. You know what I think it is?

I simply cant take care of her anymore. I don't have a garage, and I can't afford storage. I'm not a mechanic, it always needs to be taken somewhere to have anything done. And I live in an apartment- it's constantly in the way.
Life has changed for me, and this car, as much as I love and cherish it, is becoming more of a burden then a joy recently.

I'm thinking about selling it. But with stipulations. IT has to go to a good home- I don't want to see it painted purple and 36's thrown on it. It has to go somewhere where It will be taken proper care of. I'd prefer it to go to someone in this community, rather then the general public. But, I mean, I don't even know what to ask for it. What are the worth? Its only got 57,000 miles.

What should I do?

sven914
04-09-11, 10:56 AM
Post pictures and your location.

TWasArroundHere
04-09-11, 03:29 PM
I live in Morrisville, PA....... about 5 miles from the New Jersey boarder.
The car is almost completely restored, except for the actual engine itself, which has only 57k. The interior, paint, tires.....ect.... all new.

Heres a few pics I took... If I can figure out how to upload them

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61561329@N05/

I think that should work.

Bro-Ham
04-09-11, 05:16 PM
That is an absolutely gorgeous car! A lovely coupe like that will certainly find a buyer. Pricing is the tricky part - my gut feel is a realistic range of $3-5k, maybe more if you get lucky. A coupe is a big positive. HT4100 engine is a big negative.

If it were mine, I'd do whatever it takes to keep it. I would bet an arm, leg, or major organ that you would regret selling that car for the rest of your life.

Good luck.

TWasArroundHere
04-09-11, 05:24 PM
Bro-Ham, I know exactly what you mean. And I've been doing everything I can to keep it for the past 4 years haha. It's just allot of time and attention that I'm having trouble keeping up with. Plus, I dont have a garage anymore. So now it sits outside. Not good for such a pedegree. I'll only sell it if I find a worthy buyer, though.

csbuckn
04-09-11, 06:26 PM
I think everybody here is gonna tell you to keep it, me too. We say this not only because ware Cadillac people, but because we have all have had a car that we made the mistake of selling. Find a way to keep it.

jayoldschool
04-09-11, 07:27 PM
If it has to sit outside, sell it. Being outside will age the car quickly. If you love it, set it free to someone with a garage. I agree with Bro-Ham's price range.

sven914
04-10-11, 12:14 AM
The biggest detriment is that engine. If it was anything but a 4100 car or even one upgraded to an Olds engine, I definitely would say keep it. Instead of selling the car, I would suggest changing the engine, but that would just be throwing more money at it.

But on the other side of that; how problematic is it? You say nothing major has happened, yet you have been left stranded several times. Was it that the car was incapable of being driven or was it that you did not want to drive it? These cars do some of the most annoying shit (windshield wipers don't shut off, headliner sags, gas pedal falls off, doors won't open) but very rarely do they become incapacitated.

Little things will fail on a 27 year old car. It doesn't need to be fixed every time.

TWasArroundHere
04-10-11, 12:14 PM
Well, besides the normal problems- funny you mention the windshield wipers, because it does do that from time to time, haha. Its fairly sound now....... but I had to replace the alternatior three times, the fuel pump twice, a fuel line, and several other little odds and ends that kept breaking.
But as of right now....... its running fine.

jcolliga40
04-10-11, 12:28 PM
Keep it try and get a temp garage for it see if you can find a psrking spot out of the way in the apartment complex. Will help a bit

cadillac kevin
04-10-11, 01:42 PM
I say keep it. IMO, thats one car you'd regret selling. its drop dead gorgeous. doesnt sound like its had too many issues, but alternator and fuel pump would leave you stuck. I'd blame those more on bad replacement parts that a bad car. despite what your friends say, 80's GM cars werent that bad. There were some dogs, especially the first couple years of the fwd cars, but their rwd luxury cars were pretty good. In my experience they're pretty reliable as long as they're maintained.

pompste
04-10-11, 03:14 PM
In the end,you`re going to make the final decision of selling it or not since you know your life situations firsthand,we don`t.
That being said,your Caddy looks fantastic and since you say it`s running fine now and you have major memories of your father with it,i`d keep it.You could put a car cover over it since it sits outside.
As others have mentioned,you may regret selling it after it`s gone.Some here have sold Caddy`s they really wish they could have back again.

I`m currently living on foodstamps and minimal unemployment pay since being laid off from my job here in Michigan.Some friends of mine have mentioned to me "why don`t you just sell one of your Caddy`s for some extra money"? I respond "no fricken way----my 2 Caddy`s are my pride and joy in this life and i`ll do whatever it takes to keep them!" I`ve had to sell some furniture in my house to keep up with the bills and to keep my Caddy`s.
Good luck on your decision---i know how difficult a decision it must be.

TWasArroundHere
04-10-11, 10:19 PM
This is going to be one of the toughest choices I've ever made. I'll keep you guys posted on here as the week goes on.

77CDV
04-10-11, 11:06 PM
What a fabulous, understated, elegant car! I'm very sorry you've come to a place where selling might make sense, and I applaud your desire to see the car go to someone who will take proper care of it. In any case, since you don't know how long you'll have the car, and since it's price is dependent on it's condition, I'd recommend investing a few hundred in a high-quality car cover. They make all the difference when you have to park the car outside.

Good luck.

robb257731
04-15-11, 09:14 AM
Very nice....tough decision you have to make.

TWasArroundHere
04-16-11, 01:59 AM
Thanks. After all of it, I decided I had to sell it to cover some expenses. Its up in the classifieds. And on Craigslist. But so far, no one wants it.

Robin Banx
04-16-11, 09:17 PM
Truth be told, no one wants it except you. Keep it..........I would.
Cheers........R.