: New Owner - Best Way To Launch An Automatic

voltrons_head
04-09-11, 09:21 AM
Hey Guys,
I just picked up a 2011 V sedan two weeks ago and I'm already getting the mod bug. It's black w/ graphite wheels and yellow calipers, suede package, sunroof, recaros & automatice. I'm looking to go to Atco raceway in a few weeks to get a few baseline 1/4 runs in before I mod anything.

What have you guys found to be the best way to launch an automatic?

How much do the stock wheels weigh?

This is the first new American car I've ever bought and I haven't looked back. I had a few beaters when I first got my license but I've always bought foreign cars since. I am coming from a 2010 Audi S4 which I had modded pretty well. CAI, downpipes, hi flow cats, cat back, water/meth, BBS RS-GT LW wheels & ecu tune. The car stock runs the 1/4 in 13.3-4 and my best modded run was 12.7 but that was without the cats and meth. Maybe I could have shaved a few tenths had I run it again.

Here's the new V. Sorry for the cell phone pic.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_k9aPqwJx2lk/TY1VD1zt7-I/AAAAAAAABVc/6xPo5Hcvuzc/s640/IMG_20110325_212646.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_k9aPqwJx2lk/TY1VCIwsBfI/AAAAAAAABVE/BWzM6Q0ZTFQ/s640/IMG_20110325_210309.jpg

Here's the old S. I do miss this car. It was awesome.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_k9aPqwJx2lk/TMMr9qWQ9dI/AAAAAAAAA34/77VRDe5vGSY/s640/DSC00355.JPG

Domsz06
04-09-11, 11:53 AM
well you should be able to run low 12's or high 11's in stock trim. The v is a beast compared to your audi.

Just press the brake, and have your foot on the gas. You don't need to rev it up, just ease onto it once the light turns green and GO!!

Have fun.

oh yeah, get that front plate off!!! :)

mpouls1
04-09-11, 12:11 PM
There are a lot of threads on this subject. I think it was member newcadman who has had the best technique leaving TC on at the line and turning it off once the wheels hook up. He could go into more detail. Those new options on the '11 sedan make me :drool:

cbloveday
04-09-11, 12:12 PM
yep, go off idle.

areuv
04-09-11, 12:18 PM
yep, go off idle.

with TC on or off?

voltrons_head
04-09-11, 06:00 PM
So basically leave traction control on don't rev just lift the brake and put it to the floor quickly but controlled instead of just mashing it?

newcadman
04-09-11, 07:52 PM
FWIW, might suggest trying both "methods" for launching with street tires. First, try leaving the TC off and "roll into the throttle" ( as in don't mash it) from idle. The other one you may wish to try is leave the TC on (which restricts wheelspin) initially. Doing this allows you to use faster throttle action ( in theory, but you decide) and then the absolute instant you feel the tires hook hit the TC button to take the TC off. Likewise leave at idle.

By giving both ways a try I think you'll quickly discover which "technique" works better for you and which one you feel more comfortable with.

Which ever method you use stick with it and keep practicing it until the throttle action you are using starts to feel like second nature to you.

Best of luck and let us know how things work out.

David Nicholas
04-09-11, 08:46 PM
I don't think you'll like launching with TC on, it really shuts the power down and doesn't really switch off that rapidly. Ideally, you want to keep the tires spinning just slightly faster than the car is actually moving. I find the easiest way is to use the competitive mode, which will allow wheelspin until the car really starts to yaw.
You want to go hard enough on the throttle to tweak both tires, push all the weight to the rear, and just keep feeding it more as the tires start to grab hard.

baabootoo
04-10-11, 12:11 AM
So basically leave traction control on don't rev just lift the brake and put it to the floor quickly but controlled instead of just mashing it?

Yes. I ran a 12.17 like this by leaving it all on. This was on the stock tires no less. Since I'm not looking to set any drag records myself, I'll do it like this whenever I got back out too.

BluMachine
04-10-11, 01:37 AM
I ran 11.81 on a completely stock setup with Mickey Thompson drag radials. No TC. Off idle or slight stall. Smack the converter. Hook and go.

On street tires do a small burnout to clean the tires. TC off. Shallow stage. Slowly roll in from idle. The conditions of your track will dictate how quickly you can roll in to WOT and whether the car breaks traction on the 1-2 shift.

If the car spins, get out and just drive it normally off the track as your et will be crushed by excessive wheel spin.

newcadman
04-10-11, 10:17 AM
I ran 11.81 on a completely stock setup with Mickey Thompson drag radials. No TC. Off idle or slight stall. Smack the converter. Hook and go

Would you happen to remember what the 60' time was on your 11.81 run with the drag radials ? Thought it might have been posted on the 1/4 mile & mods list.

JOEYCTS-V
04-10-11, 11:48 AM
I went 11.81 on the stock tires with a 1.8 60 ft.

newcadman
04-10-11, 12:38 PM
I went 11.81 on the stock tires with a 1.8 60 ft.

BTW, the 1/4 mi. & mods chart list your 60' time as 1.77 not 1.8 . I thought it would be interesting to compare the 60' time of BluMachine on drag radials (since he mentioned he ran 11.81) to others 60' times on stock tires.

JOEYCTS-V
04-10-11, 12:44 PM
I feel like I could have gotten at least a 1.6 with drag radials. Maybe 1.5. What do you think?

newcadman
04-10-11, 12:55 PM
I feel like I could have gotten at least a 1.6 with drag radials. Maybe 1.5. What do you think?

I'm thinking you may very well be right. That's why I thought BluMachine's 60' time on his drag radials might help us answer our "thinking" about the possibility of a 1.6 on drag radials given the fact that both of us are basically stock with the exception of CAI.

FWIW, I don't think given our lack of mods that a 60' time of 1.5 is feasible ( just not making enough power at launch). Thoughts?

BluMachine
04-10-11, 03:33 PM
Would you happen to remember what the 60' time was on your 11.81 run with the drag radials ? Thought it might have been posted on the 1/4 mile & mods list.

Looked up the slip
60': 1.735
1/8: 7.624 @ 93.56
1/4: 11.815 @ 117.92

Temp was probably around upper 60s and DA 1,000 to 1,500

The car was stock including paper filter. My 1st goal was to crack 11s completely stock with a tire.

Next goal to crack 10s with catless stock exhaust and a cam.

newcadman
04-10-11, 06:03 PM
Looked up the slip
60': 1.735
1/8: 7.624 @ 93.56
1/4: 11.815 @ 117.92

Temp was probably around upper 60s and DA 1,000 to 1,500

The car was stock including paper filter. My 1st goal was to crack 11s completely stock with a tire.

Next goal to crack 10s with catless stock exhaust and a cam.

Thanks for the info. Best of luck in your pursuit of the 10's

digital1021
04-10-11, 11:07 PM
One other point not mentioned, for most of us it goes without saying, make sure the transmission is in sport mode. If you leave it in Drive the car will start out in 2nd gear, which is obviously not what you want. To put the transmission in sport mode, with the transmission in Drive move the gear selector to the right in to the manual shift gate. You will notice that the DIC will say "Transmission Mode Sport" and the gear indicator will light up "D" and the current gear will be shown to the right. The transmission will now select 1st gear when below ~5mph or at a stop.

~Matt

voltrons_head
04-11-11, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm hoping to get 12.1x or lower. I just need some seat time at the strip to get some experience with launching the car.

One other point not mentioned, for most of us it goes without saying, make sure the transmission is in sport mode. If you leave it in Drive the car will start out in 2nd gear, which is obviously not what you want. To put the transmission in sport mode, with the transmission in Drive move the gear selector to the right in to the manual shift gate. You will notice that the DIC will say "Transmission Mode Sport" and the gear indicator will light up "D" and the current gear will be shown to the right. The transmission will now select 1st gear when below ~5mph or at a stop.

~Matt

I didn't realize this. Good thing you told me as I would have been banging my head wondering what's wrong. My S4 had this feature as a button on the dash. Thanks!

digital1021
04-12-11, 02:51 AM
No problem, I think it isn't covered in the Owners Manual either.

- Matt

voltrons_head
04-12-11, 04:35 PM
Gotta say I really love this car. GM is catching up quickly.

I had picked up my s4 and an srx for the wife at the same time. Srx had no problems but in the same timeframe the s had a waterpump replaced, thermostat service bulletin and nagging dual clutch tranny issues.

I've always been anti GM but they've changes my mins.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Mike TexaSS
04-13-11, 08:34 PM
Trans in Sport mode. Idle the mash it!

11.72 @ 119 with just a Tune!

TheG
07-08-11, 11:42 AM
Going to the track tonight for the first time. Have anyine tried launching car in manual mod with car in second gear? My car has D3 BOD kit. I find on the street in manual mod I never use first from a red light. Find wheel spin is greatly reduced in second,but can lite them up of the line in second at full throttle. Will this hurt the tranny doing this?

Tedboss1
07-08-11, 12:04 PM
To launch your car consistently you need drag radials.
MT 19 inch drag radials should be shipping next week.
See : http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/214414-mickey-thompson-19-drag-radials-available-4.html

kcshaner
07-27-11, 10:43 AM
I am getting ready to head to the track for the first time on Friday. What PSI are you all running in your rear tires (non drag radial guys)? I have Nitto INVOS for whatever that is worth.

Extra
07-27-11, 11:46 AM
When I try to use the sport mode/auto I find that the transmission doesn't shift until after it hits the rev. limiter and kills the ET. Does anyone else find that the transmission doesn't shift until the rev limiter cut's power?

serturbo
07-27-11, 12:10 PM
Mine shifts just fine in Sport Mode.

M5eater
07-27-11, 12:43 PM
how do you like the reccaros (I assume you have them) vs the B8's sport seats OP?

EVIL_C5
07-27-11, 01:02 PM
When I try to use the sport mode/auto I find that the transmission doesn't shift until after it hits the rev. limiter and kills the ET. Does anyone else find that the transmission doesn't shift until the rev limiter cut's power?

I had that issue with my TCM tuning, and got it resolved. I have not gone back to the track to see if there was a gain, but the rev limiter issues arent there as I ran it all day at summit point in sport mode with many redline shifts.

the last run I made of the season, i did my burnout pulled to the line, put the car in park, then back to drive to avoid the sport/rev limit issue and it worked great. 1.59 60 foot and 11.31 @ 124.5

M5eater
07-27-11, 01:25 PM
OP it's Blmlozz on Audizine btw.. :D

Jutskin
07-27-11, 02:03 PM
Do not believe a 1.5 is possible either....not enough early jam for a heavy car.
11.81 bone stock?????
Did a 12.05 with a 1.8 something....I am on the list here on the forum...thought it was #2 for bone stock. Oh well. didn't spin at all...no need for a drag radial stock?
I rock the car deep and rock forward on the third light slamming it.
Enjoy the car....congrats.

JOEYCTS-V
07-27-11, 02:20 PM
I was getting consistent 1.8 60 ft. times when my car was stock with the stock tires. I didn't even take any air out. It's all about the driver. ;)

serturbo
07-27-11, 02:36 PM
I was getting consistent 1.8 60 ft. times when my car was stock with the stock tires. I didn't even take any air out. It's all about the driver. ;)

...and the track.

EVIL_C5
07-27-11, 02:43 PM
Do not believe a 1.5 is possible either....not enough early jam for a heavy car.
11.81 bone stock?????
Did a 12.05 with a 1.8 something....I am on the list here on the forum...thought it was #2 for bone stock. Oh well. didn't spin at all...no need for a drag radial stock?
I rock the car deep and rock forward on the third light slamming it.
Enjoy the car....congrats.

1.59 here, upper pulley, tune, elbow and ported snout on 305/35/18 mickey thompsons leaving from a dead idle....see my timeslip and picture of the car as it was raced in the ET section.

and yea, 11.81 is possible bone stock on drag radials, I saw my buddy go 11.94 in his on my drag radials in a crappy DA night and didnt do much of a burnout to even heat the tires. a 1.6x would have probably put him in the 11.7's.

JOEYCTS-V
07-27-11, 03:24 PM
...and the track.

Not really. It wasn't really a good day for traction. Blitzkrieg was there that day. He can vouch for me.

serturbo
07-27-11, 04:36 PM
Not really. It wasn't really a good day for traction. Blitzkrieg was there that day. He can vouch for me.

Believe it or not, there are worse tracks with more terrible conditions than you have experienced. Mine is at sea level, but DA is normally well into the 2xxx's. On top of that, cars with street tires aren't allowed directly on the VHT. A good driver is key, but he/she is still limited by what he/she has to work with.

cruiser68
07-27-11, 05:47 PM
Why no brake stalling? Traction issue? I haven't had my v to the track yet but brake stalling was significantly better on my 08 Yukon Denali. I know, why bring an suv to the track.......just 'cause I could. Thought 14.7 wasn't bad for a 6,000lb brick with nothing but an intake and tune:)

serturbo
07-27-11, 06:12 PM
I launch better off idle and flashing the converter.

I raced my SUV too. 13.65 with an 08 Pathfinder V8. Intake, headers, exhaust and Bully Dog. Oh, and some weight reduction.

EVIL_C5
07-27-11, 07:19 PM
I tried both ways and flashing it worked much better

cruiser68
07-27-11, 08:02 PM
I launch better off idle and flashing the converter.

I raced my SUV too. 13.65 with an 08 Pathfinder V8. Intake, headers, exhaust and Bully Dog. Oh, and some weight reduction.

Damn, not bad. Wonder which helped more, the mods or the weight :)

Mike TexaSS
07-27-11, 08:17 PM
11.71 stock with drag radials. 1.70 60ft. Idle to Wide Open Throttle! TC and StabiliTrak off! -DA

Ross L
07-27-11, 08:32 PM
I gotta get some DR's:). Man, track prep makes ALL the difference. Just try to hook if a Honda v tech just drug water all over the staging lane and the track crew didn't mop/tack it.

CTSVeee
07-28-11, 04:00 PM
Stock car, Auto tranny, original tires, 1,200 miles on ODO at the time.
+1000 DA
Front tires 40
Rear tires 24
60' - 1.80
1/4 - 12.10
mph - 115.9

smackdownCTSV
07-28-11, 10:05 PM
^ Really good. Way to represent. That corrects to 12 flat @ 116 mph. How did you launch it? Did you do a little burn out to clean off the tires or a big burn out to get them really sticky? I'm really itching to go but the DA has been hella high. Just last night it was 80 degrees with DA around 2000!

voltrons_head
07-28-11, 10:52 PM
how do you like the reccaros (I assume you have them) vs the B8's sport seats OP?

Hey man. The Recaros feel a bit loose when you get in and when you're driving hard. The Audi seats were a bit more comfortable and more stable.

Still haven't been to the track. It's been so damn hot that I haven't been very anxious to go with such poor da but CTSVee's times are making me want to go.:D