: New Nav

C5James
04-09-11, 09:56 AM
My current factory nav is buggy, it turns off and sometimes doesn't turn on till it wants to. took it in, the dealership deemed it is to be replaced.

i asked if they would allow me to swap for the new version and did the rescearch to see if it would work (plug and play), and cost. The deck for mine they retail at $2600 and the newer one at $2200 so a cost factor it makes good sense.

they said they would look into it since they don't do the swapping they have a third authorized party come to the dealership and swap it. Called York _____ can't remember the rest of the name. so York won't talk to me at all, and said if they offered the swap there is no warranty and would cost me $2000 to upgrade. I said WTF? I said i would be better off getting the new one, purchasing the 2011 style and offering my new replacement one for sale and would make a much better deal for me. and asked how that upgrade for pretty much full price makes any sense at all?? I didn't want to take it out on the girl that was calling me as she was nice and it wasn't her call.

does the 2011 with the USB able to control the ipod onscreen without adding modules?

but seriously can anyone believe that upgrade cost??

2007XTSDub
04-09-11, 08:50 PM
Go to a different dealer. That's crazy.

Sent from Android.

Playdrv4me
04-09-11, 09:11 PM
If the dealership is doing this under warranty, it is unlikely GM will give them warranty credit if they order a part that is not specified for the vehicle the warranty claim is being made on.

tag7800
04-10-11, 02:24 PM
Had the same issue. If you really think about how nuts this is, GM is paying to manufacture and keep multiple near identical units in stock just to keep people downgraded! They would save money upgrading all repairs to the most recent model!

WaterKing
04-10-11, 04:44 PM
Doesn't the 2011 models have a card reader for nav input vice the nav dvd. There was a 2011 model on ebay for 1500 a few days ago.

C5James
04-10-11, 08:50 PM
Doesn't the 2011 models have a card reader for nav input vice the nav dvd. There was a 2011 model on ebay for 1500 a few days ago.

that is correct, one is dvd and the other is a card for the maps. also the newer model offers USB connection. Which i'm curious if it offers onscreen control of an ipod, anyone know?

and i saw that one on ebay as well.

timbertoy
04-11-11, 09:04 PM
I have a 2008 escalade ext. My navigation went and the dealer installed a new unit. My old navigation did not say "AUX" on the screen yet the new one does. Does this mean I can somehow install my pod to it? looked into trying to sinc my phone to bluetooth yet did not accept voice command. If so how can I install my pod to my new navigation? Thanks, Wayne

Playdrv4me
04-11-11, 11:34 PM
NO. The line with "NAV" printed on it does NOT mean you have a USB connection, it's just a different production style.

timbertoy
04-12-11, 06:10 PM
The new screen has an "AUX" on it. My old one never had it. I am not speaking about the front cover plate that states NAV. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

Playdrv4me
04-13-11, 05:56 AM
If you have the Rear seat DVD entertainment system, then the AUX is for the connection on the rear of the center console. It is a "dumb" AUX and not a smart USB connection, If you still want to double check, You'll have to pull it out regardless because your '08 is NOT equipped with the necessary cable or a spot where to plug a USB device in. If you have the USB equipped radio, then there will be an unused connector on the rear right (passenger side) of the radio.

timbertoy
04-13-11, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your reply. I do not have any rear seat DVD only have the center console rear radio. As said my old unit never had a "AUX" on the screen. Just looking to see if i can use my Pod. Thanks again for your input.

Zhariak
04-13-11, 06:30 PM
If you don't have rear seat entertainment, and your NAV system has AUX, then it's the failure of the service tech to reprogram the unit.

Back at the older dealership I used to go to, they replaced my NAV system, and I lost control of the rear rear display. It took many visits, phone calls, etc... for them to FINALLY ****ing re-program it to give me back control. Finally when they used the software, all I got was a "Oh, you were right...". lol

They just didn't disable the AUX on the refurbished unit they replaced your busted unit with (AKA your nav thinks u have rear seat entertainment).

CadX6
04-14-11, 01:37 PM
Starting in 08 or 09 (not sure - but my 09 has it, my 07 didn't), Cadillac started installing the three RCA audio/video connectors on the back of the center console, even on vehicles without RSE, and showing the "Aux" option on the head unit. This allowed you to connect & play your external audio (iPod, etc) thru the head unit although it was basic - no on screen display, control, etc.
If you have the "Aux" button showing, but don't have either RSE or the connectors on the console, I would say your heads unit is not programmed correctly.
As it comes stock, you can not play video on the head unit thru this connection, only audio. Someone on the forum was going to check with a dealer to see if the head unit could be programmed for a certain option code to make the system think that RSE was installed which would theoretically allow video to be input thru the rear connectors. Never heard if they had any success.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-14-11, 06:27 PM
Zhariak, glad to hear that your dealer was able to fix your issue for you. If anyone else if experienceing this same issue feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

timbertoy
04-15-11, 08:17 PM
Thanks every one for your input on my new replaced navigation unit. I did not realize after picking up my EXT that the rear audio was no longer working. Seems I will be making a trip back to the dealer to have it re-programed. Was hoping that my new unit would have been able to work with my pod. I am very pleased with my EXT and love to drive her every day. Again thanks to all for your input including Jim morris, Cadillac customer support being involved.

Sincerely,

Wayne D