: Sueded steering wheel or not?

che_socal
04-09-11, 05:59 AM
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, while trying to decide if I should splurge for a CTS-V wagon or not. (Currently driving a 2001 Audi S4 Avant.) I've pretty much talked myself into a purchase, but I'm still considering the various options.

One thing I'm unsure about is whether or not to go for the sueded steering wheel. I like the feel of it, but I'm pretty concerned about it getting grimy from sweaty paws (I'm in socal, so it gets pretty warm and sweaty at times).

I don't know if the sueded steering wheel was available on earlier versions, but if it was, and there's someone with a few years of wear (perhaps in a hot region), what does that suede look like now?

Any and all comments on the longevity of the suede appreciated though.

Also, I'm torn between thunder gray and evo green. There are only so many pics out there of evo green (in daylight/sunlight) so if anyone has (or can take) new pics they can post that too would be much appreciated!

MReiland
04-09-11, 08:00 AM
The good news is that you can add it later or replace it yourself later. There are a few threads of owners putting it on vehicles that didn't come with the suede wheel or shifter.

voltrons_head
04-09-11, 09:11 AM
I just picked up my V two weeks ago and I got the suede package. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but now that I've had the car for a little bit I really like it. Feels good to grip.

I came from an Audi as well. Traded in a 2010 S4 for the V.

GM-4-LIFE
04-09-11, 10:44 AM
I have had a CTS-V with the leather and sueded steering wheel and honestly, the leather has a nicer feel to it and you can grip it better. The sueded wheel feels nicer if it's always cold out, but I live in So Cal, so that's really not much of a factor for me. If I could do it again, I would go with the leather wheel.

Busabob
04-09-11, 11:24 AM
I have the sueded and love it. When I drove a V with the standard leather I didn't lkike it as much. Only down side is the sueded wheel and shifter has turned made me "OCD" with my hand cleaning. I'm always worried about getting dirt/germs on it. Must check lights, must check lights, must check lights..........

Nutz
04-09-11, 12:31 PM
The good news is that you can add it later or replace it yourself later. There are a few threads of owners putting it on vehicles that didn't come with the suede wheel or shifter.Case in point. I bought a suede wheel and manual shifter to replace my leather. Im very pleased with my decision 9k miles later. Almost broke even with the resale of the leather set too. I also posted here on the simplicity of replacement if you need it. Both are good quality

Sent via Droid X

getbit
04-09-11, 02:11 PM
suede.
Pull the trigger.

zeolite2
04-09-11, 04:20 PM
I ordered suede, awaiting delivery, car was built in late March. Am keeping my 2001.5 S4 Avant AWE Stage 3 until I am sure I will love the CTS-V wagon as much. Looks like we were both waiting for a suitable Avant replacement.

translux
04-09-11, 04:56 PM
Suede all the way, gives it that race car feeling.
Also not as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer as leather.
Much better grip.
Holding up well after 8k miles
Actually I don't think its real suede like I had in my M3 as that did not wear well and balled up like a cheap sweater.

che_socal
04-09-11, 05:12 PM
I ordered suede, awaiting delivery, car was built in late March. Am keeping my 2001.5 S4 Avant AWE Stage 3 until I am sure I will love the CTS-V wagon as much. Looks like we were both waiting for a suitable Avant replacement.Ha, what a coincidence! Yeah, I want to feel like I'm trading up, not down, and Audi (and others) aren't exactly helping by not importing any spiffy wagons at all (S4/RS4/RS6). :(

It looks like we both came to the same conclusion about what that trade-up was! :) Audi's loss, GM's gain!

thebigjimsho
04-09-11, 09:04 PM
Yes, yes, yes , yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Get teh swayde! It's an artificial microfiber that doesn't wear down and grips better than leather no matter the climate or hand condition. 24k miles with 2 track days and it's worlds better than my '04V and its leather wheel at the track.