: Maintenance and Fluid Changes

xxe92xx
04-08-11, 11:39 PM
I have about 5200 miles on my truck and wanted to know when to change the fluids. I looked in the manual and maybe I missed some parts, but this is all I found. I intend to change the fluids earlier than the manual states, just for better peace of mind. It might be more expensive, but I can spend the money.

Rotate Tires: 5,000 - 8,000 miles
Engine Air Cleaner/Filter: check every oil change or 50,000 miles
Engine Coolant: 5 years/150,000
Transmission Fluid: ?
Transfer Case Fluid: ?
Front/Rear Differential Fluid:
Engine Oil/Filter: Oil Life Monitor
Maintenance I/II/III: ?

Please feel free to add any other fluid changes or maintenance that I have left out! :D

MrHolland
04-09-11, 12:09 AM
I do my tires every 5000mi
Engine air filter once a year at least
Coolant, 2-3 years
Transmission fluid 7500mi or annually
Differentials annually
Engine oil 2000mi

I know this will seem extremely excessive to some but I don't mind spending the money for maintenance and rarely have had any problems out of my cars. I began this type of maintenance intervals after purchasing an all original antique car. It has nearly 300,000 miles on it today. I also have a suburban that has nearly 250,000 miles on it. I do all of my own service. My cars would have probably lasted this long without service as frequent, but I also have a great deal of peace of mind. I've also never had any problems selling one of my cars.

xxe92xx
04-09-11, 03:26 AM
I do my tires every 5000mi
Engine air filter once a year at least
Coolant, 2-3 years
Transmission fluid 7500mi or annually
Differentials annually
Engine oil 2000mi

I know this will seem extremely excessive to some but I don't mind spending the money for maintenance and rarely have had any problems out of my cars. I began this type of maintenance intervals after purchasing an all original antique car. It has nearly 300,000 miles on it today. I also have a suburban that has nearly 250,000 miles on it. I do all of my own service. My cars would have probably lasted this long without service as frequent, but I also have a great deal of peace of mind. I've also never had any problems selling one of my cars.

damn haha I thought I was being a bit excessive....so transmission fluid every 7500 miles? I have heard every 25,000, 40,000 or even 50,000 miles, once a year sounds like a good idea too...I dont think I can rack up 25,000 in a year....for the differentials I have heard every 25,000 miles.....engine oil every 2000! if your are using synthetic I think every 8000 miles would be best, obviously you can go longer but since we are both a bit "excessive" haha I think you should extend the engine oil change to atleast that

MrHolland
04-09-11, 03:46 AM
None of my cars get many miles on them each year. Maybe 5 - 10,000 for any given car. Yeah the trans fluid is easy. I plumb in a brass "T" fitting into the cooler line. When its time I remove the cap from the fitting, start the engine and pour new fluid in the top until clean fluid comes out of the bottom. Its a beautiful thing. Air filters and diff fluid depends on where you live and how you drive. Engine oil,,,,yeah i know..... When it gets changed it still looks new. I have a friend that always asks for my old oil so he can change his oil Hahaaaaa..

Playdrv4me
04-09-11, 03:56 AM
At the mileage you are at, it would be prudent to go ahead and check your differential fluid levels NOW, or if they can not be checked without changing the fluid altogether, just go ahead and change it. GM is notorious for underfilling some of the components, but the diffs in particular so it will be a good base line to start from. As for the transmission, once a year is somewhat excessive, and 50k is probably still too long. The sweet spot is 30k for just about any vehicle in my opinion. You can make yourself "feel" better by changing the fluids as frequently as you want, but 30k for the transmission, given the improvements in fluids today, is more than sufficient.

Also, one of the most overlooked fluids, even by those who have obsessive fluid change habits, is the POWER STEERING fluid. This stuff gets disgusting faster than just about anything else. Do the PS fluid at the same intervals as the transmission. In fact, it wouldn't be bad to do the transfer case, the transmission, the PS fluid and the differentials all at the 30k mark (after the initial change I mentioned) from now to eternity, it will be a lot easier to keep track of that way. Coolant should be done every 4 years regardless of mileage.

MrHolland
04-09-11, 04:06 AM
The intervals I listed are for my antiques and my suburban which does get driven a fair amount. My Cadillac I haven't serviced yet because it has been parked in the garage since I purchased it. Im not sure about the service interval I will use, but it too will be excessive. Power steering fluid, excellent suggestion. I completely forgot to mention that.

"Obsessive fluid change habit" is that a real condition???? LOL

ELUSIVE
04-09-11, 10:12 PM
Every 2000 miles even with full synthetic?
That's about the equivalent of brushing your teeth every 6 minutes.

MrHolland
04-09-11, 10:47 PM
No its not full synthetic, that's only in my Cadillac. Although its 2000mi its only 3 or maybe 4 changes per year. I knew I'd get lit up for posting in this thread. I admitted its excessive but I don't mind doing it. Thread isn't about me, its about another member asking a question.

Playdrv4me
04-10-11, 03:32 AM
If you can afford it, you certainly aren't HURTING anything. So... end of discussion as far as I'm concerned. The numbers I posted are for those looking for a more regular schedule depending on their budget etc., but everyone has the right to do as they wish, nothing wrong with that.

ELUSIVE
04-10-11, 08:32 PM
Agreed..it doesn't hurt anything.
As an alternative, try sending in a sample to a place like Blackstone Laboratories. Costs about $20 and they do a full analysis of the oil. Really pretty cool.
If the oil is in fact still in great shape (no coolant, no gas, no water, etc)...then at least you know and can try going a tad longer next time.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Cheers!

Playdrv4me
04-10-11, 11:52 PM
Agreed..it doesn't hurt anything.
As an alternative, try sending in a sample to a place like Blackstone Laboratories. Costs about $20 and they do a full analysis of the oil. Really pretty cool.
If the oil is in fact still in great shape (no coolant, no gas, no water, etc)...then at least you know and can try going a tad longer next time.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Cheers!

I listen to trucking radio on XM, and the truckers SWEAR by these oil samples. They can go 100, 200, 300k on an oil change by keeping close tabs on their oil samples. Never over stretching, or under utilizing the oil in their crank case.

MrHolland
04-11-11, 02:22 AM
I listen to trucking radio on XM, and the truckers SWEAR by these oil samples. They can go 100, 200, 300k on an oil change by keeping close tabs on their oil samples. Never over stretching, or under utilizing the oil in their crank case.

100,000 miles on one oil change, am I understanding this correctly??

Playdrv4me
04-11-11, 05:15 AM
100,000 miles on one oil change, am I understanding this correctly??

For a diesel truck. Which would be equivalent to us getting 15k or more. Hell, in optimal conditions the GM OLM can take you all the way out to as much as 12,500 miles.

The oil samples test EVERY minute aspect of the oil, from metal content (breaking down even what KINDS of metals may be present, and in what quantities which can help alert you to problems that may not even have to do with the oil, such as bearing breakdown), to silicates ("dirt and sand") to even minute traces of moisture. It's an amazing science.

MrHolland
04-11-11, 07:37 AM
Im very intrigued and impressed. Certainly worth researching for myself.

ELUSIVE
04-11-11, 10:54 AM
I was intrigued as well and gave them a try last year on my 2001 Ford Expedition. I'd had it for about 9 years and I'd read good things about their analysis and wanted to see what condition my oil and my engine were in. It was rather cheap so i figured what the heck. The following are the reports that I received from them on 2 different samples (with my customer specific data removed).
Gave me a little reassurance to be honest.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17964735/blackstone1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17964735/blackstone2.jpg

Cheers
Stacey