: Rebuilt carb issues

7.0,hellyeah
10-07-04, 01:53 PM
I just put a rebuild carb I took off an older '77 coupe deville on my '79 coupe deville, It started up ok, but the idle was extremely high. The Idle screw isnt contacting the throttle linkage at all. I tried pushing it back by hand but that didn't work, it just stayed high. I thought it might not be warmed up so I took it for a spin. Still the idle remained high and it surged a little bit. I did drop the idle when I put it in gear, but not as much as it did with the old carb. Is there something I'm missing? All the wires are correct, the mixture seems fine; theres no black smoke and it doesnt seem lean. It actually runs great besides the high idle. Any suggestions? I was thinking about rebuilding the one I had on there and just keeping the new one on till I'm finished with the rebuild, but it would be nice just to fix the one on there now. There is a little difference in the numbers:17059530 on the original one and 17058530 for the one I got from the '77. Should the difference matter? Thanks for any suggestions!

FASSTWOOD
10-07-04, 03:39 PM
If the set screw isn't touching it sounds like your choke isn't disengaging on my 79 there was a fuse for the choke. It also works with your oil pressure switch make sure that circuitis okay. If the OPS is unplugged you won't get current to the choke. Once the car is warm the carb flaps should close almost all the way they are probably wide open on yours this would prevent the car from idling normal...

7.0,hellyeah
10-07-04, 04:47 PM
Okay, so I found out what it was: the linkage by the choke, all of it was not in the right place. I wouldnt know why because I didnt remove any of it. The main tab that operates the the primary 2 bbl flap was stuck up, therefore the flap was wide open causing a high Idle. I fixed it after about 2 hours of scratching my head