: Back in the shop for the roof

tbss08
04-08-11, 06:16 PM
Dropped the V off at the dealer for another repair attempt with the roof noises. It appears the welds have either broken again or another section is loose, not sure.

They are also going to repair the paint which was damaged on the last repair attempt, repair the damaged rims and fix the leaking rear main oil seal.

I asked them if they wanted to give me a real good deal on the V coupe they have and put this one out to pasture. The salesman is suppose to be working the numbers to see what they can do.

Any takers on how long they have the car this time?? Last time was 7 weeks, do you think it will be longer?

newcadman
04-08-11, 06:34 PM
Hope the fixing of the rear main seal leak is more successful than when Curtis had it done and he reported it was leaking again shortly after the "fix"!

Would you be good enough to keep us posted as to how your dealership's attempt at fixing the rear main works out?

tbss08
04-08-11, 06:37 PM
Hope the fixing of the rear main seal leak is more successful than when Curtis had it done and he reported it was leaking again shortly after the "fix"!

Would you be good enough to keep us posted as to how your dealership's attempt at fixing the rear main works out?

Sure will. I think it might be a bit before I get the car back though. I'm not sure what they are going to do with the roof creaking and popping again.

Ross L
04-08-11, 07:01 PM
How about some subframe connectors. ThAt would cure the sunroof creaks, dash noises(im having)and roof issues( you're having). Are you listening d3? ;)
Ross

mastequila
04-08-11, 07:21 PM
how bad are the creaks you guys are hearing? While I was waiting to pick up my 09 from service yesterday, I noticed that my sunroof looks much lower in the front and back center than other CTSs on the lot. The top of the foam seal on mine is below the top of the metal roof, while on the other cars the seal actually bulged out a little and was above the metal roof. It looked more even all the way around on those cars.
Mine makes little creaking sounds when cornering but nothing I'd call loud. I do wonder how well it's sealed though since it seems the foam seal is barely pressing against the metal roof.

shade
04-08-11, 08:38 PM
TBSS08 - I think you need to hand one of the shop slaves a few hundies to have it fall off a lift of something.
If they have to fix the welds again I would say 4-6 weeks. The dealer should be bending over backwards at this point to get you into another car. They should sell you one at their exact cost and give you the hold back money for the BS gone through.

tbss08
04-08-11, 09:19 PM
AMEN!! I am hoping the dealer steps up with the offer on the coupe. I swore I wouldn't go back to GM but the V is addicting.

On the subframe stuff, it will not help if the welds are broken on the roof panels. I do believe the first weld attempt did not hold and there is some garbage under the metal which is contributing to the creaking noise. Well I say creaking, yesterday with the temps in the 80's I thought the sunroof was going to explode the noise was so loud. My wife noticed the noise the other day, and she doesn't pay attention to anything in a car.

The noise is almost like a cracking sound with some pops. When I pull out of the garage in the AM when I cross the threshold the roof makes a very loud and rapid succession snapping noise. There are times it scares the crap out of you from the sharpness of it.

Maybe the body shop can lose the car or something, if only I could be so lucky. If all the repairs are done on the car I bet it is pushing somewhere around 12k in repairs to the vehicle so far.

I hope GM decides to step back in and help, if not I'll be forced to look at something else. I really like the V but I don't think I can trust this one.

neuronbob
04-08-11, 11:01 PM
TBSS08 - I think you need to hand one of the shop slaves a few hundies to have it fall off a lift of something.
If they have to fix the welds again I would say 4-6 weeks. The dealer should be bending over backwards at this point to get you into another car. They should sell you one at their exact cost and give you the hold back money for the BS gone through.

This and LOL!

TBSS, I hope t]he dealer takes care of you this time by putting you in a Coupe.

GARBAJ
04-08-11, 11:21 PM
I know but one thing, given all of the posts on the "pan roof"... That is -- I will not order a V on a boat, with a goat, on a plane, on a train--with a pan roof... Anyone want to place odds on finding a TG V with a 6mt, satin wheels and all options inluding Recaros WITHOUT a pan roof? Me neither. It will most certainly have to be ordered...

baabootoo
04-08-11, 11:29 PM
tb, what brand/number oil are you running?

tbss08
04-09-11, 07:42 AM
Mobil 1, 5W-30. Same oil as factory and run since day one. We also run this oil in my wife's TBSS with no leaks and no issues. She has the LS2 engine in it.

cbloveday
04-09-11, 12:37 PM

Grant, Let me explain what Jesse found when he removed the engine:

The seal and repair was done per the Bulletin and they actually repaired it per specs. However during the process of torquing the oil pan bolts, there is a certain sequence for tighting the bolts which will alleviate any stress in one area before it clamps down. According to Jesse, they tightened one bolt, then the others, which put stress on it a created a crack in the unit. That is why I was loosing more oil than before the TSB was done and subsequently had drops on my garage floor. Prior to the work, my floor was clean.

I am not clear and the exact process. One can contact Jesse and he'll explain it. It is a big deal.

tbss08
04-16-11, 07:25 AM
UPDATE on repairs:

Talked with the dealer on Friday. They said the oil leak was coming from the oil cooler and it has been replaced with no leaks. I don't know about that but we will see. The oil was from the same area as the rest of the complaints about oil leakage.
I'm very curious on the diagnosis of the oil leak. I haven't heard of anyone having the leak from the oil cooler.

The car is at the body shop again for the roof and should be back next week.

shade
04-16-11, 11:03 AM
Very easy to diagnose.
Wipe area around the drain bolt and suspect area very clean.
Take picture.
Come back in a couple days/weeks and see if oil exists.
Take picture.
Take to dealer and ask when your new car at cost is going to be ready.

tbss08
04-26-11, 09:13 PM
UPDATE.
Talked with the service adviser today. The repair was attempted again on the welds but the noise is still present. The body shop manager is confused and has never seen anything like this before. The service manager had a call into the regional rep last week but with the Holiday didn't receive a call back until today. The Regional rep has a call into corporate to find out what to do next.
I hope to hear something back in the next day or so and get this fixed once and for all.

neuronbob
04-26-11, 11:02 PM
^^^^^
Personally, I think it's obvious what needs to be done by Corporate.....but I guess they need time to come to the same conclusion I would. I simply don't see why this is a no-brainer for them. Would a company executive allow his/her brother/sister/mom/dad/best bud drive around with a potential safety defect?

Good luck again, man!

Caddy Wagon
04-26-11, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope they get it fixed or get you a new car.

e6t
04-26-11, 11:08 PM
have you had them pull the headliner and then drive the car to see if the noise can be isolated? id keep stripping stuff out of it until they can be absolutely sure of what it is. if you have never seen the inside of the roof with the headliner out, youd see how these things rattle so much... there is a TON of stuff above the headliners of these cars!

tbss08
04-26-11, 11:14 PM
have you had them pull the headliner and then drive the car to see if the noise can be isolated? id keep stripping stuff out of it until they can be absolutely sure of what it is. if you have never seen the inside of the roof with the headliner out, youd see how these things rattle so much... there is a TON of stuff above the headliners of these cars!

On the initial repair they had everything stripped but the drivers seat from the inside of the car. The noise was isolated to the right rear weld area above the door by using vise grips to pinch the metal together and eliminate the noise. The headliner was out, sunroof out, seats out, center console out and all trim out. Yes I saw the car like that, it is not a pretty site.

e6t
04-26-11, 11:43 PM
On the initial repair they had everything stripped but the drivers seat from the inside of the car. The noise was isolated to the right rear weld area above the door by using vise grips to pinch the metal together and eliminate the noise. The headliner was out, sunroof out, seats out, center console out and all trim out. Yes I saw the car like that, it is not a pretty site.

wow.

tbss08
04-28-11, 08:12 PM
SA called to let me know two engineers from up north will be down either Monday or Tuesday to help diagnose the car. I'd like to have them diagnose the car to the factory for a complete tear down to figure out what the heck went wrong.
More next week.

tbss08
05-04-11, 05:45 PM
UPDATE on the roof repairs:
Talked with the dealer on Tuesday. GM sent two engineers down Monday and they claim to have the roof fixed. I asked what they did and the service adviser did not know for sure. I hope to have the car back tomorrow or Friday. The dealer has to put the headliner back in and it should be ready to roll. I'll see what the paperwork says as far as the problem. I'm also curious to see if the oil leak was the "Oil Cooler". A few days of driving and I should be able to tell.
If it is still leaking, I wonder what it will take to get the regional rep and someone high up in GM here to make the decision on this car?

LFTW8S
05-04-11, 06:13 PM
Dropped the V off at the dealer for another repair attempt with the roof noises. It appears the welds have either broken again or another section is loose, not sure.

They are also going to repair the paint which was damaged on the last repair attempt, repair the damaged rims and fix the leaking rear main oil seal.

I asked them if they wanted to give me a real good deal on the V coupe they have and put this one out to pasture. The salesman is suppose to be working the numbers to see what they can do.

Any takers on how long they have the car this time?? Last time was 7 weeks, do you think it will be longer?

TBSS08...I'm having sunroof creaks/pops, clicking wheels, and paint issues. I asked the regional rep to look at it and give me their input. The rep offered to DVM the car for a new one of my choice. The deal...I get 15% of the original MSRP to go towards buying a new car. The deal is worth about $10k plus what the dealer will give me for the trade. Have they offered this to you yet? If so, what are your thoughts as I am unsure.

tbss08
05-04-11, 07:25 PM
After the first failed repair attempt GM and I talked through lawyers. We settled the litigation.
The regional rep did not offer any help the first time. There was talk of making a few car payments seeing as the vehicle was in the shop for 7 weeks. I had asked for a buyback to allow me to purchase a different vehicle and that was scoffed at.
A 15% discount on a car isn't too bad. I got almost 9K off of mine when I purchased it new almost two years ago. I think you will take a beating on the trade in for the car. I'd ask to do an exchange of collateral.