: Mileage that you replaced tires

CTSV4now
04-08-11, 05:39 PM
How many miles are you guys getting out of the PS2s?

I am 13K and both front tire's outer edges only are worn down where I can see white threaded material, but the middle of the tires have 6/32 left.

About 3/32 left on the rear worn out evenly.

BeagleBrains
04-08-11, 05:45 PM
Incorrect tire pressure!

CTSV4now
04-08-11, 05:49 PM
What pressure should I have? I am guessing I am under inflated?

Its only the outer edges, not the inner edges, that are wearing out quickly.

oxymoron
04-08-11, 06:07 PM
I replaced mine at 11,400. Fronts might have gone a bit more, but I replaced as a set. I beleive if the shoulders wear out first, you are under and if the center wears out first you are over-inflated. On my rears, there was about 4 inches of "slick" starting at the outer edge. I didn't see any belt material but they wouldn't have gone much farther.

translux
04-08-11, 06:08 PM
I was at 5k when I switched to my winter tires and despite a pretty reasonable amount of treed left the car was as loose as a goose. I tried all kinds of different tire pressures but nothing helped. That's the problem with the PS2's when new they stick like glue but after a few hard miles they get what I can only describe as greasy. Im debating if I should put them back on or get something different.

Teutonaddict
04-08-11, 06:08 PM
Incorrect tire pressure!

Not necessarily, Stephen. We know nothing of CTSV4now's driving habits or typical road surfaces. Doesn't absolutely mean incorrect/under-inflation.

Just like center-wear doesn't equal over-inflation. The the amount of TQ these monsters have, you can wear out the centers without being necessarily overinflated.

Teutonaddict
04-08-11, 06:14 PM
BTW, my right rear is a 2/32 and my left rear is at 4/32--pretty much all the way across the tire at 12K miles. I think that's because I have more left-turn-burning-rubber-launches in and around my neighborhood (pre-flight checklist: Stabilitrak Competitive mode: ON. Suspension mode: Sport).

6speeder
04-08-11, 06:16 PM
check your alignment. Either you are cornering very aggressively (Tracking the car?) or you need more camber in the front alignment.

CTSV4now
04-08-11, 06:38 PM
Zero tracking, no drag racing. Just 15 miles freeway driving and 10 miles city driving all on good roads daily.

RapidRob
04-08-11, 07:38 PM
Replaced both rears at 15K, (not long ago), and fronts will be due soon. There's still some cernter tread left on the fronts, but edge tread is at the markers.

Rob

Ross L
04-08-11, 08:19 PM
23k and counting.
Ross

mastequila
04-08-11, 08:27 PM
I've got 12k on mine and had to replace ONE this week (screw in sidewall). The tech said the others were getting close to needing replacement and will need it in about 3K more miles. I haven't smoked the rears, but I do enjoy pushing the car through turns.

nsaness
04-08-11, 10:08 PM
I have 42,000 on the front tires, but I drive 66 miles each way to work, so a LOT of highway driving. The rears seem to wear prematurely, I get about 14,000 miles out of a set of rears :)

lavaman
04-09-11, 10:19 AM
check your alignment. Either you are cornering very aggressively (Tracking the car?) or you need more camber in the front alignment.

I agree with most of what is stated here, however, higher (more positive) camber will increase outer edge wear so if the edge wear is due to incorrect camber it needs less .

CTSV4now, you have not told us how you are driving your car (city, highway, track, baby it, drive it hard, corner it hard...etc) Driving habits have a significant effect on tire wear.

If you are not pushing your car in the corners, you need an alignment. Toe-in and camber cause front tire wear. Either or both angles are too high. and need to be brought closer to zero.

When I had my V, to be sure it was right, I had the alignment set within the first 500 miles of owning it. My brother owns a tire shop and he and I together made sure it was correct. I traded my V with 19k on it and the front tires were at about 25%.

Busabob
04-09-11, 12:32 PM
My car has 24k and the outers on the front are smooth and the middles of the rears are about done so I'm getting new tires in the next week or two. I bought the car at 12k miles, and I have driven taken the car on some 1G 35 mile twisty roads. I've never had the traction control off (burnouts) and hardly ever launch the car hard.

Domsz06
04-09-11, 12:51 PM
I'm at 15k of houston driving and still have like 6/32 left I think the tech said, IDK.

My tires spin on any road I"m on, he he he wait till i put the pulley back on! :)

OP where in Houston do youlive?

6speeder
04-09-11, 03:00 PM
I agree with most of what is stated here, however, higher (more positive) camber will increase outer edge wear so if the edge wear is due to incorrect camber it needs less .

CTSV4now, you have not told us how you are driving your car (city, highway, track, baby it, drive it hard, corner it hard...etc) Driving habits have a significant effect on tire wear.

If you are not pushing your car in the corners, you need an alignment. Toe-in and camber cause front tire wear. Either or both angles are too high. and need to be brought closer to zero.

When I had my V, to be sure it was right, I had the alignment set within the first 500 miles of owning it. My brother owns a tire shop and he and I together made sure it was correct. I traded my V with 19k on it and the front tires were at about 25%.

I don't know any car that runs positive camber:bonkers: So, yes, when I said add camber I meant more negative camber. When you say his camber angle is too high you will confuse the alignment guy. He will think you want to have less negative camber, exactly the opposite of what he needs.

lavaman
04-11-11, 07:11 PM
I get what you are saying. You are right in that performance cars setup for street driving will have negative camber specs at all corners. To me, higher alignment angles always means moving in a positive direction and lower-negative.

Many cars on the road do however run positive camber. I have owned tire and repair shops (20 years of it) and have personally aligned hundreds of cars. What Im stating is that I bring a lot of experience to the table regarding alignment. Without seeing the OP's car and without his input as to the type of driving he is doing I addressed toe-in and positive camber as the probable cause of the tire wear. Given the fact the V is supposed to have negative camber, too high a Toe-in angle is likely the problem. IMHO

6speeder
04-12-11, 09:47 AM
Interesting. Please share, what cars run positive camber?

In any case, we agree that if he is getting severe wear just on the outside edges of his front tires, with normal driving, the alignment is suspect and shuld be checked.

Kadonny
04-12-11, 09:55 AM
I got about 13 or 14k out of mine. Mostly non highway miles.

Umrswimr
04-12-11, 04:49 PM
42k? Holy f**k. I'm looking at less than 10k on mine at this rate. Fronts and rears wearing evenly across the tire and the rears are a little worse than the front.

phickson
10-23-11, 10:41 AM
Original PS 2's on my 2010 sedan w/30K mostly highway (120 mile daily commute), replacing this week w/ Continental DWs -- we'll see how those do!

Mike 09 V
10-24-11, 05:48 PM
Right at 26K fronts and rears were wearing equally. Put Hankooks on (see other thread I posted). Ps2's were getting really noisy and slippery.

roarkb
10-24-11, 10:30 PM
12kmiles. Went with hankooks. They have 16k on them and still have some miles left.

I will go with ps2 next time.

neuronbob
10-25-11, 03:17 PM
My fronts are both shot, and the left one is actually starting to bald. They have a total of 15k miles on them. The rears, though, are in decent shape and may actually see another season. Very strange if you ask me, especially since I had an alignment six months ago as part of the sway bar bolt (or whatever it was, too lazy to look it up) recall.

I have a full spare set of PS2s in the garage already. (I bought an extra set of OEM wheels from a forum member 18 months ago, and the PS2s I'm wearing now came from them, so my original PS2s have been stored.) I have an appointment with the dealer this week to put on my spare front PS2s and to do an oil change, but I'm considering just throwing all four winters on instead.

BuckeyeInNC
11-03-11, 03:52 PM
Replacing mine at just over 8k. I drive very aggresively in the corners and the outside edges of the fronts are worn (left front exposing cord). The rears do not yet need to be replaced.