: Nav - how do you enter data while in motion?

WesH8398
04-08-11, 10:55 AM
I thought there were posts about this already but I can't seem to find them... Maybe it's this Tapatalk app...
Anyway, what's the method to defeat the nav's data entry lock-out while you're in motion? Is it software related or just a combination of button pushes? Thanks guys.

Andringa
04-08-11, 11:01 AM
I don't believe there is a software or button combination that will allow you to enter data. There is a button combination that keeps a DVD on screen while driving and that may be what you are thinking about.

The only possible solution that I remember reading about was that you could try to cut the signal wire that feeds the vehicle speed to the Nav. Like I said, I don't know if anyone really looked into that option or got it to work.

mstrjon32
04-08-11, 11:38 AM
I bought a Garmin. It would be great to use the built-in Nav, but unfortunately, it's really a piece of junk.

rlj5
04-08-11, 02:06 PM
I thought there were posts about this already but I can't seem to find them... Maybe it's this Tapatalk app...
Anyway, what's the method to defeat the nav's data entry lock-out while you're in motion? Is it software related or just a combination of button pushes? Thanks guys.

Answer is............. you don't "always been a pita"........ !@#!@%*.... it's undefeatable

I use an aftermarket gps most of the time just for that reason

WesH8398
04-08-11, 10:56 PM
Huh. Too bad. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a GPS/NAV system. I don't know that we can blame GM for this one though. Blame the safety regulations, which I would imagine are largely government influenced.

mstrjon32
04-09-11, 02:27 AM
I'm a little surprised that there is no way to defeat the inability to enter data while moving, though. On most aftermarket GPS systems you have to turn off "safety mode" or something...it's not like you don't have to agree to the disclaimer every time you start the car anyway.

JimmyH
04-09-11, 03:17 PM
it's gps. it doesn't need the vehicle's speed. it knows if you are moving or not. unless maybe you cut its link to the speedo, and you are next to some tall buildings and lose satellite.

JNR
04-09-11, 11:50 PM
Maybe if you could trick it into thinking the e-brake is applied and you're not moving, but not sure how it's setup or if that's even possible. You're right, the nanny-ness sucks. They could of at least tied it into the passenger sensor. I mean, why can't a passenger input the info? Unfortunately, just the world we live in, I guess...

I wish somebody would come up with a nice radio unit that would interact with the oem, but hav a real stereo/navigation system and retain the oem look...Like gut it and see how to change and improve it. If electronics were my thing I would do that, as it can't be that complicated if you know what you're doing...Just the small market I guess. Shame more people can't dwell into these niche markets...