: Active Fuel Management - Worth it or now?

B-Line
04-07-11, 11:34 PM
I'm planning on getting a 2008 but my buddy just told me, he thinks that the later models have an Active Fuel Management, Displacement on Demand feature that may make owning a newer version less expensive in the long run.

I was just reading one of my older posts and noticed someone mentioning the serious dislike of the Fuel Management system. Could all of you please elaborate some more. I'd like to know more about it. What year vehicles was it introduced? How bad does it impede performance?

I would drive about 7k miles a year on the ESV (trying to calculate the value of a fuel management system vs. the cost of buying a newer vehicle.)

Thx,

skierjp
04-08-11, 05:08 AM
I have a 2011 ESV and I've watched to see how often it runs on 4 cylinders. It appears like it only goes to 4 when you let off the gas and are coasting. I can't see where it saves much at all. I live in Florida and can't imagine it being of any use up north. I hear you can get a programmer and bypass it. My only worry is the warrenty. I only have 3000 miles on it. Onstar says I'm getting a average 14mpg. 90% of the miles are in town, I haven't been on a trip with it. Maybe this weekend to West Palm. I also tow a Nautique almost every weekend in the summer so it will be interesting what the mpg will be.
I'm really interested in a programmer. I had one in my diesel truck and it was awesome..., but it cost the dealer 5K in damages to the motor.

hcvone
04-08-11, 07:22 AM
I'm planning on getting a 2008 but my buddy just told me, he thinks that the later models have an Active Fuel Management, Displacement on Demand feature that may make owning a newer version less expensive in the long run.

I was just reading one of my older posts and noticed someone mentioning the serious dislike of the Fuel Management system. Could all of you please elaborate some more. I'd like to know more about it. What year vehicles was it introduced? How bad does it impede performance?

I would drive about 7k miles a year on the ESV (trying to calculate the value of a fuel management system vs. the cost of buying a newer vehicle.)

Thx,

It all depends on how much highway driving your truck does, for about a year now we have been playing with the tune of my 10's to get the 4 cylinder mode to stay in until about 80 mph, stock kicks out at just before 70 mph and to lean the tune, this has both of my trucks getting 24-26 mpg on the highway, of course this does nothing for city mileage which for me is 11-12 mpg, but there is no performance difference from pre fuel management to now, I have had every year since 07'. Even 100% stock I was getting about 2 mpg more with the active fuel of my 10' compared to my 09', but again you will only see this on the highway where the 4 cylinder mode can be used for a long period of time, you also have to learn to be easy on the gas to keep it in the 4 cylinder mode once there

Playdrv4me
04-08-11, 04:51 PM
It's a checkbox feature, like 3D on a new TV as far as I'm concerned... If it's there great, if not I don't care. It certainly would not sway me from one truck to another, and even though they have made it more reliable, it IS just one extra thing to go bad later on. "FlexFuel" is even more useless.

I took a 600 mile trip last night and did about 20mpg on the whole way without having it. That same trip last time going the other direction only netted about 17, so hell if I know.

WaterKing
04-09-11, 02:10 AM
Reconsider your year if you are getting used. 2009 IMHO is the best year..first year for included Bluetooth, easier to install USB and still has rainsense washers which were deleted in 2010. Loss for 2009 is the tilting of the nav screen, and I think the headrests no longer tilt...Someone with a 2009 can better answer the more detailed things. Also I think E85 engines post 2008 have bigger injectors.

xxe92xx
04-09-11, 03:36 AM
it is a good feature, obviously more useful on highway/longtrips....60-65mph on cruise control sounds like a sweet spot, unless it doesnt work with cruise control?