: More Muffler advice...experts??

caddygirlny
10-07-04, 12:27 PM
most of the mustang guys with the 4.6L use flowmaster...
so since our caddy is 4.6L displacement. wont putting flowmaster exhaust make it sound comparible to the mustangs throaty V8 sound..i think it sounds awesome.

anyone ever get a 40 series muffler...apparently they r the ones that sound aggressive...and give the V8 that throaty sound, and then theres the 50 series flowmaster muffler that is a little more milder than the 40 series.

just curious if anyone would know the outcome if i were to put these on the caddy...maybe id get that awesome v8 sound im looking for...or maybe im making a mistake..

Thanx

caddydaddy
10-07-04, 01:12 PM
I thought you were saving up for the Corsa cat back? Since you're after max power from your STS, that's the way to go! 22 HP over stock, plus the awesome sounds! Check out the sound files on Corsa's site. It gave me chills is sounded so bad-ass!

http://www.corsaperformance.com/STSdyno.jpg

Edahall
10-07-04, 02:04 PM
Here's some sound clips of mine with Deltaflow Flowmaster Model 50.

Cold Engine Rev (http://www.sharemation.com/ed100mph/subdirectory/muffler1.mp3)

Warm Engine Rev (http://www.sharemation.com/ed100mph/subdirectory/Muffler2.mp3)

caddygirlny
10-07-04, 07:37 PM
yea but corsa is so expensive ugh!!!! it will take me yrs to save up for it...

gc_caddy
10-07-04, 07:52 PM
Listening to the Corsa exhaust notes, it doesn't impress me that much. To me, the Corsa just sounds like stock, only louder.

I agree with Caddygirlny... the Mustangs do sound great. Their exhaust 'tone' is more bass-y and much deeper.

I find that tone much more to my liking. The tone is very similar to that of the late 70's Trans Ams with dual exhausts. I had a Corvette back then, but I still couldn't match that tone. Those T/As were awesome sounding.

caddygirlny
10-08-04, 10:27 AM
yea gc caddy!!!...i called up flowmaster and they said the mustang guys use 40 series flowmaster mufflers, and the 50 series are a little more milder...im wondering what would happen if i put the 50 series mufflers on the same 2.5inch piping leaving the resonator on....maybe id get a louder and more throatier sound...but i dunno if i wanna take the 230 dollar risk of buying them and then id hate it...ugh!!! what to do!!!

gc_caddy
10-08-04, 10:59 AM
I know what you mean about spending money and not knowing if you'd like the new mod. It's like buying new tires. You spend a lot of money, and if you don't like them (noise, comfort, performance, etc.), they're with you for a LONG time! :)

Good luck and please keep us up-to-date.

yea gc caddy!!!...i called up flowmaster and they said the mustang guys use 40 series flowmaster mufflers, and the 50 series are a little more milder...im wondering what would happen if i put the 50 series mufflers on the same 2.5inch piping leaving the resonator on....maybe id get a louder and more throatier sound...but i dunno if i wanna take the 230 dollar risk of buying them and then id hate it...ugh!!! what to do!!!

Aurora40
10-08-04, 11:54 AM
Everybody likes a different exhaust sound. Some people like that loud continuous tone, while others like the burbly, broken up tone. A Mustang 4.6 and GM 4.6 are totally different engines with totally different exhaust configurations. I doubt you will get them to sound the same. But if you like that loud continuous sound, a Flowmaster will probably help you get it.

FYI, here's my 4.0 Premium V8: http://members.aol.com/aurora402002/clips/aurora.wma

gc_caddy
10-08-04, 12:23 PM
Yeah, you're so right.
There are guys that like the "Harley Davidson" sound, and there are those that like the "Japanese Racing Bike" sound. I'm a "Harley" guy! :)

[QUOTE=Aurora40]Everybody likes a different exhaust sound. Some people like that loud continuous tone, while others like the burbly, broken up tone. ...

caddygirlny
10-08-04, 01:16 PM
wow that sounds pretty good aurora...im guessing its the corsa exhaust, b.c it sounds very similar!!!

Aurora40
10-08-04, 06:42 PM
Yup, it's a Corsa.

wake
10-09-04, 12:34 AM
I've been thinking the same thing about Mustang 4.6L mufflers for our cars... The only problem I'm thinking though is that it's not going to sound the same or even similar... The exhaust systems between our vehicles is dramatically different from the Mustang's...

I do agree though, nothing sounds as good as a V8 Mustang with a flowmaster system, and this is coming from a guy driving a Corvette with a flowmaster system...

I have been contemplating finding some stock mufflers from a 4.6L GT and seeing how they'd sound on my ETC... I think the stockers would give a nice throaty sound without being too loud or creating a drone... I don't want to be too loud, but I do want at least a little rumble at idle and growl when I run up the RPM range... My 98 ETC is quieter than my old 94 base coupe...

Jim

w8itgtsbtr
10-09-04, 04:42 PM
Yeah I have flowmaster delta flow 40 series on my car. Oh and I removed the resonator and replaced with a pipe. They sound nice. I dont have a recording of it yet or anything but it definitly has a very deep throaty sound to it. Its a mild sound though, not as raunchy sounding as a mustang, but similar tone...But anyway.

caddygirlny
10-09-04, 08:26 PM
wow if you could get a sound file ASAP...that would be great and id get those mufflers in a heartbeat if i like it......

dkozloski
10-09-04, 09:07 PM
In January of 1980 I was driving through downtown Los Angeles at about 2:00 AM when I heard the strangest howling sounds echoing off the buildings and up and down the streets. Into view came a rear engine Ferrari. As it passed I caught the plate number which was California plate 250LM. This car was blasting through the gears at WOT and making the most glorious engine sounds that I ever heard in my life. You could hear him for miles. Not one police officer was to be found. My guess was that they were enjoying the show as much as I was. The hair standing up on the back of your neck and chills up and down your spine only begin to describe this once in a lifetime experience. With later research I decided the car was indeed a 250LM, had been a Le Mans winner, and must have cost the owner millions. It was well worth it. One 250 LM sold for $5,500,000.

w8itgtsbtr
10-10-04, 04:31 PM
caddygirlny, I'll try and get something online for you, but I gotta find some camera or somethin first. maybe within a few days or week or so.

caddygirlny
10-11-04, 07:58 PM
thanx!!!

Sean McDonald
10-12-04, 10:43 AM
I also have 2 40 series flowmaster's on my 94 STS. I love the sound and it's quite loud. It sounds quite unique and is different then the sound you would get from a Mustang. Definately turns heads! :thumbsup: