: Front and Rear Brakes And Rotors At 19K Miles?

carz80am
04-07-11, 11:15 PM
So, my V is in the shop for the tire rod recall and the tech recommends front and rear pads and rotors for a cool $2800. Says there is 3mm on both front and rear. I'm not doubting them or complaining about the price, just wondering if anyone with this type of mileage had to replace front and rear already along with rotors? I don't track my car, pretty normal driving for the most part

I'm going to get the parts which should run about 1k and install at my shop, just curious of when others had to change theirs

Razorecko
04-07-11, 11:24 PM
I have hear like nobody replacing pads & rotors yet unless they track heavy. I have 30k miles on mine and they're still fine.

Caddy Wagon
04-07-11, 11:27 PM
OMG, $2800 for F/R pads and rotors? wow.

That being said, I would think they should last a lot longer than that in normal driving.

cbloveday
04-07-11, 11:36 PM
21,000 here and no problems. I have about 15 1/4 mile runs with some breaking to slow down for the return road. Aside from that, normal street driving. Either you are hard on the braking, (which I could understand fronts) or something is not right. I would get a second opinion on the rotors.

neuronbob
04-08-11, 12:13 AM
24,000 miles and no brake problems except squealing when coming to a stop. Was in for routine service just a couple of weeks ago and brakes are fine.

OP must really like the track. :) Or there's a problem. $2800 for all four sounds excessive as well.

tedcmiller
04-08-11, 12:33 AM
Maybe the pads could be worn out at 19K miles (sounds a little extreme to me), but the rotors too?

Teutonaddict
04-08-11, 12:42 AM
So, my V is in the shop for the tire rod recall and the tech recommends front and rear pads and rotors for a cool $2800. Says there is 3mm on both front and rear.

I'd want to measure them myself first. 3mm in 19k miles on front AND rear sounds crazy. Rears shouldn't wear at the same rate as fronts in a two-ton, 556HP car.

And I cannot see how the rotors would need replacing at that mileage--they must be trying the old 'you have to change rotors and pads at the same time schtick, because they cannot be worn close to the rotor thickness threshold. I have an analog caliper to measure my rotors, and I never went through factory rotors that quick even when I WAS tracking my car (road courses, not the drag strip).

I just changed front pads today from the factory originals to a lower-dust option, and my stock pads were measuring at 7.5-8.0mm remaining after 12K aggressive miles (the new pads I put on had 9mm of friction material to start). I had every intention to do all four corners, but I got a call from my son's elementary school that he wasn't feeling well, so that cut my car project short. When I do the rears, I'll post back my measurements.

On its face, what your tech is telling you doesn't seem right. If you crank your wheel all the way to lock, you should be able to peek behind the wheel and see how much pad you've got. Those big Brembo's have a big window for viewing (changing pads, really) out the top of the caliper--like a toaster, as Nutz said.

Four-corner brake job at 19K miles seems really, really odd. At $2800, your tech will go a long way towards hitting his quota for April!

baabootoo
04-08-11, 01:33 AM
I track my car hard too, and have no measureable wear in 11K of my miles, and 18K total. I'd get a second opinion for sure. Maybe from a brake place itself? They give free estimates.

OldRoadDawg
04-08-11, 10:04 AM
... I'm not doubting them or complaining about the price,
You should be doing more than doubting them!
Get your V out of that shop... fast!

carz80am
04-08-11, 10:10 AM
Once I get it back from the dealership, I'm going to have my mechanic measure the brakes and see what's going on, but a breakdown from the estimate is as follows
Replace front pads 630.84
replace front rotors 874.50
replace rear pads 330.50
replace rear rotors 430.64
replace windshield wipers 75.00
replace cabin filter 93.02
plus taxes+shop supplies

I talked to Luke and can get all the factory parts for a little over 1k

AMRAAM4
04-08-11, 10:19 AM
$75 to replace windshield wipers (I won't even get into the 19k miles part, I just did mine for the first time on my 43k mile DD GTO) and $93 to replace a cabin filter??

WOW...unless it was the only dealer within 2 hours drive, I'd never go back there.

kirbyCTSV
04-08-11, 10:21 AM
damn...even wipers and cabin filter seem excessive.

rjoffe
04-08-11, 10:38 AM
Not sure on the V2, but on the V1 the cabin filter is somewhat of a PITA to get to.

David Nicholas
04-08-11, 10:59 AM
Something's not right. The big "Brembo pitch" is the ability to change the pads without taking the caliper off - the expectation is the rotors will outlast at least the first set of pads..

e6t
04-08-11, 11:53 AM
$630 to replace the front pads?

F my A.

musclesbmf
04-08-11, 01:18 PM
Replacement pads from Cadillac parts counter is 443 just for the front. Ridiculous. I asked when I was getting the factory part number.

Mark

4DR_ZR1
04-08-11, 02:23 PM
There is NO way you could wear out rear rotors by 19K, and I would find it hard to believe you even wore out front pads by that mileage - unless you are using the brake pedal as a foot rest.

You can get the cabin air filter from AutoZone for $30. I thought they were easy to change.

But if you have the $$$ to burn... go for it.

JFJr
04-08-11, 03:56 PM
41,000 miles - pads and rotors fine. I don't track the car. I would get a second opinion.

Jud

Kirk3
04-08-11, 04:37 PM
I just replaced my PS2s and full set of rotors and pads at 28k. Tires were an obvious necessity. Pads and rotors were not as easily noticeable other than the endless squealing, I was also skeptical when Cadillac told me this at 24k miles. Another shop told me I could wait a while, so 4k miles later I did it. Sadly the price they quoted you is not too far off what I spent at another shop. I paid a little bit more than that and got new tires as well.

On a side note, I know I drive hard on a regular basis so I was not terribly surprised by all of this.

FFBOS
04-08-11, 04:51 PM
I paid $88 for an oil change the other day at Caddy. Just to feel them out for the first time while it was in there for a recall. Not gonna do it there again....

neuronbob
04-09-11, 12:09 AM
$75 for wiper replacements? Wow. I just spent $40 on replacement blades/arms at the dealer and it takes all of a few seconds to install each. I'm a doc and I don't even charge that much.....$35 for a few seconds of work!

carz80am
04-09-11, 12:13 AM
[/QUOTE] Parts and labor? or just parts? [/QUOTE]

think that's for the blades and labor

[QUOTE]Replacement pads from Cadillac parts counter is 443 just for the front. Ridiculous. I asked when I was getting the factory part number.
[QUOTE]

Luke at Lindsay Can get you those for alot less

thebigjimsho
04-09-11, 09:49 PM
A grease monkey shlub can replace all pads and rotors on that car in an hour. Give me a lift and this not-so-mechanically incline goober can do it in less. A little over $1G for all parts involved and 2 hours TOPS in labor. PERIOD. Anyone demanding more than $1,500 are greedy bastards...

sotxmike
04-09-11, 10:40 PM
Something's not right. The big "Brembo pitch" is the ability to change the pads without taking the caliper off - the expectation is the rotors will outlast at least the first set of pads..

Can we really change the pads without removing the calipers? Front and rear? I'm getting ready to install some Hawks pads need to know.

thebigjimsho
04-10-11, 06:08 PM
Can we really change the pads without removing the calipers? Front and rear? I'm getting ready to install some Hawks pads need to know.
Absolutely.

baabootoo
04-10-11, 06:13 PM
A grease monkey shlub can replace all pads and rotors on that car in an hour. Give me a lift and this not-so-mechanically incline goober can do it in less. A little over $1G for all parts involved and 2 hours TOPS in labor. PERIOD. Anyone demanding more than $1,500 are greedy bastards...

Isn't shlub spelled with a "c"?????????? :) I like your vocabulary!

thebigjimsho
04-10-11, 06:23 PM
Isn't shlub spelled with a "c"?????????? :) I like your vocabulary!
I've spelled it both ways...

mpouls1
04-10-11, 09:54 PM
21k pads and rotors fine.

Teutonaddict
04-11-11, 12:02 PM

SoTx- see this thread for a link to a great FAQ on changing brake pads. It's a V1 example, but the only difference between in and our V2s is a 13mm retainer bolt on the front caliper. It really is an easy job!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/226687-diy-brake-pad-guys-any-special.html#post2556434