: Northstar removal guide - feedback wanted

vincentm
04-07-11, 05:11 PM
Slapped this together these past few days, wanting some feedback as to how it can be improved. Main point of this is for avoiding having to flip through multiple chapters/books in the FSM and/or links in the AllData.

tateos
04-07-11, 05:27 PM
Slapped this together these past few days, wanting some feedback as to how it can be improved. Main point of this is for avoiding having to flip through multiple chapters/books in the FSM and/or links in the AllData.

My honest first impression is that the directions would be a lot shorter if they were for dropping the cradle.

jimsbox
04-08-11, 12:52 AM
Looks very thorough but I agree with Tateos. I did my engine (00 DHS) and I think you are going to find it very difficult to get to a lot of the parts you are disconnecting with the engine in the engine bay. There is a good reason why the vast majority of people here drop the cradle. Also, it is much easier to disconnect many of these pieces with the cradle out. Also, it is a good time to check out all the systems associated with the cradle. I would seriously have to wonder how easy it will be to separate the engine from the tranny that way, it was a bear even with the cradle out due to corrosion of the locator dowels between the engine and trans and I would be nervous about aligning the engine to the trans without damaging the pump drive shaft coming out of the torque converter. If you do take it out the top try to take lots of pictures for those that follow. Personally, if I ever have to do it again I will again drop the cradle. Dropping the cradle is more intimidating to think about than it really is.

I wrote up a procedure for making sure your timing will be correct although some think it is not a big deal. It is in tech tips, the link is below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/213921-helpful-hunts-dealing-timing-when-you.html

Good luck whichever way you do it and keep us posted.

Jim

vincentm
04-08-11, 10:29 AM
Looks very thorough but I agree with Tateos. I did my engine (00 DHS) and I think you are going to find it very difficult to get to a lot of the parts you are disconnecting with the engine in the engine bay. There is a good reason why the vast majority of people here drop the cradle. Also, it is much easier to disconnect many of these pieces with the cradle out. Also, it is a good time to check out all the systems associated with the cradle. I would seriously have to wonder how easy it will be to separate the engine from the tranny that way, it was a bear even with the cradle out due to corrosion of the locator dowels between the engine and trans and I would be nervous about aligning the engine to the trans without damaging the pump drive shaft coming out of the torque converter. If you do take it out the top try to take lots of pictures for those that follow. Personally, if I ever have to do it again I will again drop the cradle. Dropping the cradle is more intimidating to think about than it really is.

I wrote up a procedure for making sure your timing will be correct although some think it is not a big deal. It is in tech tips, the link is below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/213921-helpful-hunts-dealing-timing-when-you.html

Good luck whichever way you do it and keep us posted.

Jim

Here's a funny read i came across:

http://www.denverlancaster.com/2009/06/its-like-legos-but-i-swear-lot-more.html

tateos
04-08-11, 02:55 PM
I agree with Jim on this:

it was a bear even with the cradle out due to corrosion of the locator dowels between the engine and trans

There's not a lot of room between the front of the engine/oil pan and the passenger side of the cradle

Revned911
06-25-11, 02:22 PM
Here's a funny read i came across:

http://www.denverlancaster.com/2009/06/its-like-legos-but-i-swear-lot-more.html

I can tell you for sure it wasn't funny when I did it. I pulled it from the top because a guy wanted the engine for a pontiac fiaro and I needed the rest of the car to move as one unit (ie all 4 wheels working) so I move it as needed.

drewsdeville
06-25-11, 05:54 PM
Based on my own experience, I think the whole cradle dropping vs out the top conflict isn't always about the difficulty as much as it is the limitations faced... I, for example, always pull FWD engines out the top as I have limited space and lack the equipment to lift/support the car as well as sneak the cradle out and move it. If you have these limitations, the "out the top" instructions are going to be a lot more useful, whether it's more difficult or not.

stoveguyy
06-26-11, 10:59 AM
thing is the motor holds the pass side of the trans up. yank motor and trans drops. cv axle will lay on frame rail. not sure i would want to move car with axle grinding on frame rail. i yanked motor and installed from top. got very lucky. dropped right in and dowels lined up perfectly.

Katmann
05-27-13, 12:50 PM
Can a 2005 STS 4.6L LH2 be removed from the top ? it is 05 LH2/ M22 Vin# 1G6DC67A450164632

83CADMAN
05-31-13, 12:36 PM
I just pulled out the top and I didnt have to:
1. disconnect the A/C
2. remove the power steering pump

I used a floor jack under the trans with a picker over the right fender to lift the engine just enough to disengage the trans. I then had the room to reach everything on the backside. ie; elect connectors and exhaust. Then right out it came. No bloody knuckles either!
BTW! According to my FSM, the steps to drop the cradle, "prefered procedure" far out numbered the steps to perform "altrenate procedure" out the top removal.

RippyPartsDept
05-31-13, 01:07 PM
the 2005 is totally different

rear wheel drive configuration makes it quite a bit tougher

even our guys don't like to do them and we've got lifts, jacks, table stands etc to make it easier

sorry but i don't have a good answer for you
if i had to guess i'd say no ... but then again anything's possible