: would you be interested in loaning your car for research in exchange for free stuff?

Directechs
04-07-11, 05:24 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm tossing around an idea that I want to bring up to my company as an effort to get some research done.

As you may/may not know. Directed Electronics is a manufacturer for remote start/security systems. Every now and again, we bring in cars for testing/research/pictures, etc. from friends, family, or new car dealerships we're partnered with.

My question to you guys is, would you be interested in volunteering for this program?

Keep in mind some draft details:

-ideally we like to deliver the car the same day it was borrowed, if it is to spend more time with us, arrangements are made in advance
-we normally prefer the vehicle is driven to and from our facility in Vista, CA, but depending on the conditions/distance, we can also arrange to have it picked up by a flat bed
-your vehicle would not be driven other than in & out of our service bay or around our building if any road tests are required
-in exchange for letting us borrow your vehicle, we will provide you with a choice of one of our security/remote start product(s) (please note that we can not install the product in your vehicle, we would simply provide you the product and could provide you with contact information for a local authorized dealer for installation)

all of these details are subject to change but it will all be arranged and in place before your vehicle would get here.

again, nothing official yet, just hoping to get some feedback on whether or not to present the business case.

Thanks,

Directechs

shrb
04-10-11, 12:55 PM
OK, this is stupid. Why would we "loan" our precious babies to a bunch of research "guys" that are guaranteed to not take as good care of it as we would? NO

cvettr/cts-v
04-11-11, 11:32 AM
It already has an alarm and remote start why go aftermarket?

mrl859
04-11-11, 07:19 PM
I contacted them, as I live fairly close, but I wondered what they can offer me as well. As the previous poster stated, we already have remote start and alarms built in along with on-star in case the anti-theft doesn't work. So far, I haven't heard back.

Directechs
04-14-11, 08:23 PM
shrb -
OK, this is stupid. Why would we "loan" our precious babies to a bunch of research "guys" that are guaranteed to not take as good care of it as we would? NO

Great question! Our support staff consists of 18 experienced technicians, including the most MECP Master certified technicians on a technical service team for any manufacturer. We are also ASE certified and each have several years of experience working in and around automobiles from various backgrounds and disciplines. We were also the very first technicians to successfully integrate an aftermarket remote starter (not to mention document) the first generation GM push to start platform found in the XLR and Corvette (rocker switch PTS button). We've worked a variety of cars from a variety of classes; from GT-Rs, Freightliners, BMWs, and Porches at our facility here in Vista, not to mention the exotics some of us have the experience of working with before we came to Directed. Lastly, we were also approached to install the remote starter on the Toureg you may have seen on an Apple commercial that featured our SmartStart system for the iPhone.

Long story short, we know our way around expensive cars :).

cvettr/cts-v -
It already has an alarm and remote start why go aftermarket?

Great question as well! our aftermarket systems could offer you several upgrades over your existing factory features including but most certainly not limited to: 2 way confirmation (as well as alarm trigger alerts) via LED or LCD screen confirmation, extended range (up to a mile under the right conditions), or even the capability to control your existing features through your iPhone, Android or Blackberry smartphone using our SmartStart system.

mrl859 -
I contacted them, as I live fairly close, but I wondered what they can offer me as well. As the previous poster stated, we already have remote start and alarms built in along with on-star in case the anti-theft doesn't work. So far, I haven't heard back.

Sorry, I tried replying back to you, but I apparently don't have enough of a post count to reply to PMs. As I mentioned earlier, we're a security and remote start manufacturer, so we could only offer our products within that category. As I mentioned to cvettr/cts-v, you still have expansion options on top of your existing OEM functionality with our systems.

Thanks for the replies guys, and as I mentioned before, nothing is set is stone as of yet, just gathering enough feedback to build a case. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Directechs
04-14-11, 08:24 PM
here are some pics from some of the most recent shots of vehicles that we've developed for...

http://nilleon.com/SPN/xlr.png

http://nilleon.com/SPN/gtr.png

http://nilleon.com/SPN/evo.png

TheCaptain
04-14-11, 10:27 PM
Ooh, up to 1.6 kms two way remote start communication, AND through BlackBerry! I like you guys already! :D

mrl859
04-15-11, 12:49 AM
With an ihpone app that allows you remote start, lock, unlock, and panic from anywhere in the world (where there is phone service), what is the benefit of these items?

TheCaptain
04-15-11, 03:28 PM
For those of us with a 2010 that don't get MyLink. OR those whom have a Blackberry, since MyLink isn't supported on Blackberry yet.

Directechs
04-15-11, 05:35 PM
-mrl859

With an ihpone app that allows you remote start, lock, unlock, and panic from anywhere in the world (where there is phone service), what is the benefit of these items?

Well I'm certainly not a sales person (again I'm one of the technicians), but I'll do my best to address your question.

-Not all SRX's are capable of using the MyLink app
-SmartStart is also capable of controlling your vehicle anywhere there is cell service
-SmartStart is supported on more devices at the moment(and will continue to grow)
-The premium SmartStart service plan that includes ALL features (vehicle control, alerts, tracking, etc.) is somewhere around $199 for 3 years, OnStar is $199 per year for the Safe & Sound package according to their website.
-SmartStart offers alarm tamper, hot spot, geo fencing, speed limit etc. alert notifications to your phone.
-SmartStart can offer adjustable runtimes and automated engine starting based on temperature or voltage thresholds
-Our remote starters are not limited to how many consecutive remote start cycles you can perform without cycling the key

These are just some quick things off of the top of my head, but again I'm not a sales guy, just trying to answer your question. Your nearest dealer or the Viper.com/SmartStart website may be a better source for price or feature comparisons.

-TheCaptain

For those of us with a 2010 that don't get MyLink. OR those whom have a Blackberry, since MyLink isn't supported on Blackberry yet.

Also excellent point.

Please keep your feedback coming. Again, I'm trying to gauge the interest for participation, if you have product specific question I will be happy to answer them but I'd hate for this thread to become more product focused and be closer to being spam.

If the general consensus is that this is no one would see a value in the offer, then that's great too; that's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

Thanks again!