: Gas Cap

mjv53
04-07-11, 12:41 AM
Anyone out there having problems with the gas cap not sealing. I keep getting check engine light , after some looking around I found I can make it go away with the gas cap, off then on, thought I had it fixed then, the next day same light same fix. Is ths a problem others are having? I have a 2010 AWD turbo, if that makes any difference.

Smokin' SRX
04-07-11, 09:22 AM
Sorry. Common occurrance on all cars, but re-tightening cap usually clears it for good. Will post back if I find anything for ya. Meantime, hit Onstar and ask what code is coming thru. May be 2 items that need attention!

SS

PJ1520
04-07-11, 04:31 PM
mjv........I wasn't going to respond to this because SS has it covered. But if it will make you feel any better, my SIL's Mercedes had this problem a week ago. The check engine light came on and he called me. It was the gas cap.

In his case, his boss borrowed his car and refueled it before returning it to him. The gas cap wasn't screwed back down far enough, until the clicks begin. The CEL came on. He took the cap off and put it back on and the light went out, hasn't returned.

A very common problem, also can be experienced with a bad gas cap......something to know in case your CEL keeps coming back on.

PJ