: Fuel Type

mastadan20
04-06-11, 09:01 PM
I am a first type owner of a 2006 STS and a little curious as to what fuel is recommended to use......Thanks in advance

malatu
04-06-11, 09:55 PM
Topic has been beat to death. Do a search and check out the info and discussions. In a nutshell, put in what your manual suggest.

mastadan20
04-06-11, 10:54 PM
thanks bro

chazglenn3
04-07-11, 12:20 AM
Do you have a V6 or V8? I'm not sure about the V6, but the V8 will produce a bit more power on premium gas, but runs just fine on regular and mid-grade thanks to a knock sensor. My V8 has gotten nothing but regular since the price went up.

caddyfat2
04-08-11, 08:08 AM
My V8 has gotten nothing but regular since the price went up.
I feel you. Me too!

Greg00coupe
04-08-11, 02:11 PM
It's more about a higher tier gas then the brand. As you'll find if you do some searches.

malatu
04-08-11, 02:35 PM
It's more about a higher tier gas then the brand. As you'll find if you do some searches.

.... and that higher octane fuel isn't better ... it's just different ...

mastadan20
04-09-11, 04:27 AM
well i've decided to go with mid-grade for now......thanks for the help

KRSTS
04-09-11, 07:56 AM
More profit for the oil companies:helpless:

Platinum06
04-09-11, 12:54 PM
Mine runs fine on mid-grade

chazglenn3
04-09-11, 03:45 PM
And would also run fine on regular...

EChas3
04-09-11, 04:34 PM
^^^ Probably. Gas does vary.

Use of Top Tier gas can keep any engine running better, longer because it has a superior additive package to brands not participating in the Top Tier program.

turnne
04-09-11, 08:41 PM
^^^ Probably. Gas does vary.

Use of Top Tier gas can keep any engine running better, longer because it has a superior additive package to brands not participating in the Top Tier program.

Gas can vary by region as well....so its really not as easy to figure out what is really good...and what you are just paying extra for ant not receiving any additional benefit

My 05 1SG AWD V8 has never had anything but 87 Octane and that is all it ever will under my ownership...I use the owner's manual as a guide

Warren

SlickCityStan
04-09-11, 08:59 PM
Top tier gas doesn't vary by region to be a top tier gas the oil company has to meet a standard set by the automotive engine designers and engineers so a oil company has to insure that their brand meets that standard in whatever region they sell. That standard has nothing to do with the octane rating. The top tier designation has to do mainly with the level of detergent additives and the gasoline's ability to keep the affected engine systems clean. I am oversimplifying but that's the basic principle of top tier as I understand it.

EChas3
04-09-11, 09:02 PM
Top tier gas doesn't vary by region to be a top tier gas the oil company has to meet a standard set by the automotive engine designers and engineers so a oil company has to insure that their brand meets that standard in whatever region they sell. That standard has nothing to do with the octane rating. The top tier designation has to do mainly with the level of detergent additives and the gasoline's ability to keep the affected engine systems clean. I am oversimplifying but that's the basic principle of top tier as I understand it.

You're right the standard is the same everywhere.

You're wrong in that Top Tier only specifies the additive package, not the fuel itself.

SlickCityStan
04-09-11, 09:13 PM
You're right the standard is the same everywhere.

You're wrong in that Top Tier only specifies the additive package, not the fuel itself.please explain. the offical designation is Top Tier Detergent Gasoline and it applies to all grades of the same brand. And I did say "mainly"

EChas3
04-09-11, 09:40 PM
The top tier designation has to do mainly with the level of detergent additives and the gasoline's ability to keep the affected engine systems clean. I am oversimplifying but that's the basic principle of top tier as I understand it.

This is more of a bullseye than you think. Stated more strongly. it's even more true. Top Tier is all about the additives. Gas is gas (according to regional & seasonal requirements & EPA sanctions.)

For example, almost all brands of gas in the 5-county area around Milwaukee are identical and come out of the same pipeline. I think Shell is trucked in but there aren't many of those stations. Some markets have more diversity and/or the EPA agreements are less restrictive. Nationally, there are over 100 formulations even before adding various amounts of ethanol, detergents and other additives.