: DIY Brake Pad Guys--any special tools required?

Teutonaddict
04-06-11, 06:42 PM
I'm planning on swapping out my pads for a lower-dust option for the street (when I get back to the track, I'll definitely do a dedicated track set). As I've not done this yet on the V2, any special tools required to open up these Brembo's? I'm assuming that a hex head socket is required to unbolt the calipers--anybody know the size?

BTW, based on the experiences I'd seen posted on the SRT8 boards, I decided to give Centric's semi-metallic Posi-Quiet pads a shot. Centric now owns Stop-Tech, and I had their BBK on an earlier M5 and liked it. I got a full set for $84 shipped from RockAuto (compared to $135 + shpg from Dave Z), so I figured that I can try these out and throw them away if I'm not happy with their performance relative to stock. I'll be sure to bed them in properly and report my experience here.

Thanks for any insight you can provide before I dive in tomorrow.

Nutz
04-06-11, 09:13 PM
Since you own a great car like a CTS-V you don't have to remove your race ready Brembo calipers. The pads come right out of the top of the calipers like a toaster, once the retainer pins are pushed out! Truly an "ah-ha" moment when I first found out. Enjoy.

Teutonaddict
04-06-11, 09:23 PM
Since you own a great car like a CTS-V you don't have to remove your race ready Brembo calipers. The pads come right out of the top of the calipers like a toaster, once the retainer pins are pushed out! Truly an "ah-ha" moment when I first found out. Enjoy.

Now THAT is kewl!! Hadn't even thought that far ahead, but now that you mention it, I should have recognized by looking. I am going to enjoy my 'chore' tomorrow. Thanks, Nutz!

Tony407
04-07-11, 01:26 AM

That is WAY cool.

Tony

Silver -V-
04-07-11, 10:04 AM
The old Cadillac FAQ for the V1 series had a great write-up on how to change the pads. This works for about 98% of the V2 procedure. Print it out and follow it, and you will be able to do all 4 wheels in about an hour with no experience. - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bpadchange/index.html

I still go back to that old FAQ, and would love to have a new one made for the V2

musclesbmf
04-07-11, 10:19 AM
Great info.
thanks for sharing!!

Mark

Teutonaddict
04-07-11, 10:35 AM
The old Cadillac FAQ for the V1 series had a great write-up on how to change the pads

Thanks mucho, Silver-V!! I'd been thinking to search on the V1 board since at least our rear pads are the same, but I neglected to do so. I've got it printed out and ready to go. I expect I'll take a little longer as I plan to really clean and wax my wheels while I have them off the car.

Boy, after reading the V1 write-up this is going to be the easiest pad swap I've ever done.

Heck, I may get my CAI out of the box and onto the motor today!!

Teutonaddict
04-07-11, 11:51 PM
The old Cadillac FAQ for the V1 series had a great write-up on how to change the pads. This works for about 98% of the V2 procedure.

This really was helpful, thanks again Silver V! The only difference I found on the fronts was the addition of a 13mm bolt on the caliper holding the pads in place (or more likely providing more structural rigidity) in addition to the two pins per side. Really was incredibly easy.

BTW, my trick for compressing the pistons is a mondo channel-lock that pushes the worn pad with one jaw, and the seat for the aforementioned new bolt with the other jaw. Opened her up and the new pads at full thickness just dropped right in!

FWIW, after a bedding/burnishing procecure (12x 40-->05mph runs), I find that the new pads have very similar bite and behavior to the factory pads. Now we'll wait and see about dust (but I'm highly encouraged that said bedding process did not coat my freshly waxed wheels, as the factory pads surely would have!!).

Finally, I didn't get to the rears today as my oldest boy came home sick from school. Will have to do that this weekend. More then!

baabootoo
04-08-11, 12:30 AM
You're not worried about semi-metallic wearing the rotors? Why not just ceramics?

Silver -V-
04-08-11, 10:19 AM
The Brembo calipers/pads are very easy to change out. You will find the rears to be just as easy or easier. Next you will want to flush your fluids and get on a track! You will need to meet up with us at Harris Hill, Texas World or MSR and see what your car can do in the corners with good pads.

Teutonaddict
04-08-11, 10:31 AM
The Brembo calipers/pads are very easy to change out. You will find the rears to be just as easy or easier. Next you will want to flush your fluids and get on a track! You will need to meet up with us at Harris Hill, Texas World or MSR and see what your car can do in the corners with good pads.

I'm there!! PM me when you're slated for an upcoming event. I re-joined BMWCCA because they had a recent event at H2R, only to discover that my helmet was SA95 rated (my three kids have conspired to keep me off the track of late!!). My new Simpson's on the way, I've got a case of Motul 600 in the garage, and I'll get a set of track pads so I'm ready to go.

Now what I need to do is get my old M5 track wheels out of storage and sell them to make room for a future track wheel setup for the V. The TSW Nurburgring + Nitto NT01 combo in same sizes all the way around looks appealing.... I'll do the first few on street tires just to get a feel for the V on the track. The torque out of corners on my old E39 M5 used to make me giggle--I cannot imagine what the LSA is going to do for me!!

markrn
04-10-11, 01:26 PM
Any info on what the torque value for the 13 mm bolt is ? Thanks for any info

Teutonaddict
04-11-11, 11:05 AM
Any info on what the torque value for the 13 mm bolt is ? Thanks for any info

I don't have a torque value, but it didn't take much pressure on my small 1/4" drive socket wrench to back it off. I kept that in mind when tightening without factory spec TQ values.