: 6MT V Owners

alq80
04-06-11, 07:01 PM
Ok, so I am making a decision on buying a 2010/11 V sedan (i know you have all heard this a million times!). I want 6MT and was wondering how easy they are to daily drive, i.e. clutch stiffness and engagement point/range.
Also, have you had any major issues or anything I should be aware of when buying a manual V? (reason i ask is because there are rarely any manual Vs around where I live!)

I have driven BMW manuals and they are as easy to drive as an auto, but some cars simply are a PITA, like the 350z or EVO 9, and I was just hoping that wasn't how the V felt.

Also, what are the good and bad about the car in general; things you noticed after ownership for a month or more that you didn't think of before?

Thanks in advance :)

Teutonaddict
04-06-11, 07:22 PM
With the exception of a brief stint in a slushbox X5, my seventeen years prior to V2 ownership were in BMWs with MTs. And for 15 of those years they were V8s with MTs (starting with '94 530i/5MT before two 540i/6MT, and then the last six being the 400HP N/A 5.0l E39 M5). I find the Caddy's Tremec 6-speed and clutch to be an easier three-pedal operation altogether than my previous M5. Shift action is smooth and precise, and clutch take-up is easy to modulate. I had short-shifters in most of my Bimmers, and while I'd be interested in one for the V2, it's not a pressing concern.

My one gripe is that the pedals aren't quite as conducive to heel-and-toe downshifting. I bought a set of billet pedals that I plan to install tomorrow, and they should work a little better due to a little extension lip and shimming up the height to even up with the brake pedal.

Mine is a DD and I'm not bothered in the least by having to row my own. In fact, it increases my involvement and enjoyment every time I fire her up!

Teutonaddict
04-06-11, 07:25 PM
I should probably clarify--the operation in my E39 M5 wasn't any worse than the Caddy, but the small-diameter dual-mass clutch on those cars was a known weak point. I had one replaced under warranty, and I don't anticipate similar problems with the V.

hlantin
04-06-11, 08:06 PM
Teutonaddict pretty much summed it up. i came from an 06 330i and i prefer this v's setup much better than the bmw. the height of the brake pedal is a little higher than i would like, but it's a not a deal breaker. i drive in LA traffic and it doesn't bother me...

wetcoast
04-06-11, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't trade my 6MT for any other sedan right now! It's a breeze to drive in stop and go freeway traffic if you enjoy standard transmissions.

Torxila
04-06-11, 09:00 PM
6MT coupe here. Had previous E46M3 Cab 6MT (Nice). 6mt, 'vettes with BIG clutches & HP that were a bit grabby on the street when you were trying to just sneak around. The 6MT in the V is super smooth, as stated clutch take up is linear and easy to modulate. I'm not a track guy so can't speak to heel/toe trickery, but I can tell you the no lift shift on acceleration is way cool as is the hill assist parking brake that auto releases as you let out the clutch. I seem to use it a more than I expected.

I actually downshift all the time as I come up to a stop light or sharp turn/curve and love the involvement with the stick car. I'm not one of those guys who just pushes in the clutch and coasts to a stop.

Just my .02
George

Cowan480
04-06-11, 09:03 PM
100% love mine - SUPER easy to drive!! Ive been daily driving mine for over 20K miles with no problems!! PM me with your number and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

dvandentop
04-06-11, 09:05 PM
6mt in the v is smooth due to the dual clutch, also the heel toe is a little harder due to the dual clutch but is easier to do with practice.

e6t
04-06-11, 09:38 PM
my clutch is crap. twice.

other than that, i LOVE the car. despite my bad and hopefully isolated experience, id take the manny over the slush again.

garfin
04-06-11, 09:38 PM
I would echo all of the above positive comments on this manual. A light clutch, smooth shifting action and easy to drive - especially in stop and go traffic. Definitely not a hardship!
This is simply the smoothest and easiest to drive manual car I've ever driven. What a joy!

Best regards,

Elie

alq80
04-06-11, 09:53 PM
Guy, first of all thanks! These responses were very encouraging and coming from one of the larger BMW forums, it's amazing to have people respond without saying "search" or "noob"!!

I am extremely relaxed about buying now and hopefully I will join in with some photos as soon as I buy the car.

I would PM my number but I have not yet been granted those priveleges, so I will when I can

Razorecko
04-06-11, 10:04 PM
Love my stickshift, 30k & still have 0 regrets

Teutonaddict
04-06-11, 10:19 PM
...but I can tell you the no lift shift on acceleration is way cool as is the hill assist parking brake that auto releases as you let out the clutch. I seem to use it a more than I expected.

George makes a great point. I haven't tried out the no-lift-shift feature yet, but I have found myself using the auto-releasing electronic parking brake on more than a few occasions. While I miss the positive feel of pulling a handbrake, I can't fault how seamlessly the hill-holder feature works. One of those first-I-thought-it-was-a-gimmick-but-now-I'm-lovin'-it things.

jrcmlc
04-06-11, 11:11 PM
My clutch is horrid. 1200 miles 2011 CTS-V sedan.

Joe

alq80
04-06-11, 11:38 PM
Hill holder? Like in the bmws? That's great I love that feature!

mrl859
04-07-11, 12:24 AM
With the exception of a brief stint in a slushbox X5, my seventeen years prior to V2 ownership were in BMWs with MTs. And for 15 of those years they were V8s with MTs (starting with '94 530i/5MT before two 540i/6MT, and then the last six being the 400HP N/A 5.0l E39 M5). I find the Caddy's Tremec 6-speed and clutch to be an easier three-pedal operation altogether than my previous M5. Shift action is smooth and precise, and clutch take-up is easy to modulate. I had short-shifters in most of my Bimmers, and while I'd be interested in one for the V2, it's not a pressing concern.

My one gripe is that the pedals aren't quite as conducive to heel-and-toe downshifting. I bought a set of billet pedals that I plan to install tomorrow, and they should work a little better due to a little extension lip and shimming up the height to even up with the brake pedal.

Mine is a DD and I'm not bothered in the least by having to row my own. In fact, it increases my involvement and enjoyment every time I fire her up!Where did you get the billet pedals???

GAGS-V2
04-07-11, 02:39 AM
but I can tell you the no lift shift on acceleration is way cool

Explain please?

I have been driving a stick for quite some time. I had an 05 V with MT that was OK, I hated the FLOOR emergency brake! I had for a short while a 2010 Genesis Coupe with a MT, one of the harder ones to get used to that I have ever been in. And now I have the 2011 Coupe. I don't think a MT makes you a better driver but it does make you a more aware driver!

Vcoupe11
04-07-11, 09:34 AM

Mine is a DD and I'm not bothered in the least by having to row my own. In fact, it increases my involvement and enjoyment every time I fire her up!

I would be interested in hearing your review of the new pedal setup you are installing. In particular how well it addresses the height difference between the gas and brake pedal.

Gary

Teutonaddict
04-07-11, 09:40 AM
Where did you get the billet pedals???

SRP Racing. Used to be a forum sponsor. High quality and really reasonable pricing.

Teutonaddict
04-07-11, 09:40 AM
I would be interested in hearing your review of the new pedal setup you are installing. In particular how well it addresses the height difference between the gas and brake pedal.

Gary

Will do, Gary. Plan to do the pedals after my brake job (and wheel wax) today.

Teutonaddict
04-07-11, 09:49 AM
but I can tell you the no lift shift on acceleration is way cool

Explain please?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/193325-no-lift-shift.html#post2162831

and

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/189871-no-lift-shift.html

Tuna
04-07-11, 09:56 AM
My V2 Wagon with MT is really smooth and easy. A lot better than my V1 MT. I like it. Compares with the shifting on my C6 and my previous Vettes with MT. Can't compare with any of the German or Jap cars as I own nothing but GM cars.

JFJr
04-07-11, 11:49 AM
I would echo all of the above positive comments on this manual. A light clutch, smooth shifting action and easy to drive - especially in stop and go traffic. Definitely not a hardship!
This is simply the smoothest and easiest to drive manual car I've ever driven. What a joy! My experience, too, and somtimes I forget that I'm driving a manual transmission car because it is so effortless, even in city traffic. I particularly like the "hill-holder" parking brake and the fact that the clutch engages fairly close to the floor, similar to a racing setup. Also, it is magical how easy it is to engage reverse; some of my past Corvettes were a little cantankerous in that respect.

Jud

alq80
04-07-11, 11:57 AM
well thanks for the input guys and i am looking at a CPO 2010 V sedan w recaro seats and 6MT :) Hope fully i will be able to post some pics soon as I am about ready to get into one of these cars haha

jrcmlc
04-07-11, 12:19 PM
Jud: Your clutch engages and disengages close to the floor? WOW, I would love that. Mine is right at the top of the pedal and horrible, notchy, abrupt and just plain unpleasant. Looks like I need to have a conversation with the dealer.

Joe

JFJr
04-07-11, 12:51 PM
Jud: Your clutch engages and disengages close to the floor? WOW, I would love that. Mine is right at the top of the pedal and horrible, notchy, abrupt and just plain unpleasant. Looks like I need to have a conversation with the dealer.

Joe Well, "close" is a relative term. I have never myself or had anyone else have a look at the distance above the floor when it starts to engage; it just feels close and usually surprises the very few (lucky) people I have let drive my car with me in the passenger seat. I think my point is that clutch engagement, shifter travel and effort, and throttle response all seem to work in harmony and feel right. Try to "lead" clutch engagement, while in 1st gear, with a little rpm and you may notice a difference in smoothness.

Jud

jrcmlc
04-07-11, 01:35 PM
It's not just 1st gear, it's every gear change, it's the chatter of the clutch sometimes, it's the enagement point. All seem very wrong.

Joe

Razorecko
04-07-11, 02:13 PM
you guys using the no shift lift, can it be done at any rpm and at any throttle pressure/opening ?

jrcmlc
04-07-11, 02:27 PM
What are we talking about with the no-lift-shift (I understand you don't let off the gas, I've shifted many a car that way)...is this a built in feature of the V, or are you guys just crunching into the next gear powershift-style?

I know some other cars have this feature but those are the ones that have true DSG style gearboxes, not just a double disk standard clutch...

Joe

garfin
04-07-11, 02:57 PM
you guys using the no shift lift, can it be done at any rpm and at any throttle pressure/opening ?

Absolutely!
...and I think that's a good way to gradually get the feel for it. Try doing a part-throttle, quick 1-2 "no-lift shift" at 3000 RPM and you'll see! :yup:

What are we talking about with the no-lift-shift (I understand you don't let off the gas, I've shifted many a car that way)...is this a built in feature of the V, or are you guys just crunching into the next gear powershift-style?

I know some other cars have this feature but those are the ones that have true DSG style gearboxes, not just a double disk standard clutch...

Joe

It's definitely a feature that's engineered into the V, as well as some other GM cars. I believe the idea is that blower boost is maintained when disengaging the clutch on a shift, as opposed to the boost level decreasing without that software.
If I'm not mistaken, the boost level is maintained at whatever level it's at when you shift, as long a you keep your foot on the accelerator and not let up.
If I'm missing something here, please feel free to add any further details.

Best regards,

Elie

thebigjimsho
04-07-11, 03:19 PM
It's ashame the V is so damned expensive. Because it would make a great beginner car with how easy it is to shift...

wfo
04-07-11, 03:55 PM
I understand the questions and concerns..good that you ask. But you really need to take one out for a nice test drive. A good reputable dealer like mine will let you take one for as long as you want. When you do, all your questions will be answered.

The Cadillac V series car is no Nissan 350Z or Mitsubishi Evo as you mentioned being a PITA to own in a manual . Those are ricers with no guts, no torque and no "wow factor". Not even in the same league. The V has a huge "wow factor" let's not forget that. Both in looks and performance.

Like a Corvette, the V is a torque monster, raw in your face power and gobs of potential for even beastlier creations, the only limits being your wallet.

69clunkmaro
04-07-11, 05:54 PM
The clutch is really comfortable to drive. Not too hard, not too soft. It does however engage pretty high. Not too happy about the pedal positions. Gas pedal seems too far back, and clutch and brake are too high up. That could just be a personal issue? Foot size? i don't know... otherwise you get a really good mechanical feel of what the car is doing when you are doing it. Sorry if that sounds confusing.

translux
04-08-11, 12:41 AM
Other than some notchy recent shifting-linkage?-I love the manual set up in this car.
It has so much torque that even when your forget to shift down it still goes, heck I have come to a near stop in 4th gear and still pulled away.
And yes the no lift shifts wide open from 3rd to 4th are amazing, just make sure you are on a track with a long straight because you will be well into triple digits. ;)
I find heal and toe to to be pretty easy in a pr of 11 1/2 driving shoes. But really the need to down shift is much less due to the huge amount of torque unless i have short shifted.
I live in the Chicago area and get stuck in hour long stop and go. Just leave it in 2nd and let on and off the clutch. Most of the time no gas needed.
IMHO it's the only way for me two own this car.

Razorecko
04-08-11, 01:03 AM
Other than some notchy recent shifting-linkage?-I love the manual set up in this car.
It has so much torque that even when your forget to shift down it still goes, heck I have come to a near stop in 4th gear and still pulled away.
And yes the no lift shifts wide open from 3rd to 4th are amazing, just make sure you are on a track with a long straight because you will be well into triple digits. ;)
I find heal and toe to to be pretty easy in a pr of 11 1/2 driving shoes. But really the need to down shift is much less due to the huge amount of torque unless i have short shifted.
I live in the Chicago area and get stuck in hour long stop and go. Just leave it in 2nd and let on and off the clutch. Most of the time no gas needed.
IMHO it's the only way for me two own this car.

Yep. Can you believe that b.s road construction plan initiated by Quinn for the tune of 11.5 Billion ? I gotta move out of this state. If its not the troopers in the winter than its the orange cones in the summer

GMX322V S/C
04-08-11, 11:05 AM
...Not too happy about the pedal positions. Gas pedal seems too far back, and clutch and brake are too high up. That could just be a personal issue? Foot size? i don't know...Try GM hedging against mouth-breathing morons that cause their own "unintended acceleration" and their lawyers.

fasterthanrays
04-08-11, 03:54 PM
I've never driven any OEM manuals that I couldn't daily drive comfortably including the V.

translux
04-08-11, 06:12 PM
Yep. Can you believe that b.s road construction plan initiated by Quinn for the tune of 11.5 Billion ? I gotta move out of this state. If its not the troopers in the winter than its the orange cones in the summer

Or get into the paving business!
You need to head out with me to the Autobahn in Joliet for some serious fun.

jrcmlc
04-08-11, 06:21 PM
I have been considering moving out of IL for a while...just never gotten around to it.

Joe