: DIsconnecting the sway bar end links and driving

iametarq
04-06-11, 05:11 PM
I want to disconnect and probably remove my stabilizer bar end links and take it for a test drive after that to determine if my rattles are from the links or bushings associated with the stabilizer bar, or if they are related to the struts.

Any harm in doing this? What function does the stabilizer bar serve in driving? Is it horizontal stability? Or does it do something with keeping the strut & knuckle in alignment?

This is for my Deville, but would probably do this on my Seville if I needed to.

Thanks

Submariner409
04-07-11, 09:57 AM
You'll notice more front end roll - the stabilizer (sway) bar is essentially a torsion bar which "ties" the front suspension arms together, thus transmitting some of the cornering force from the on-side suspension to the off-side suspension.

It should not hurt anything to drive a short while with the links disconnected for noise analysis. The bar is not an alignment feature - it's a suspension arm control feature.

iametarq
04-07-11, 12:45 PM
Thank you, I simply want to pull out of my garage, to the street, drive 100' to the corner, turn right drive down the hill, and go around the block and then come back. Of course if there is no rattle then the drive will be much shorter. I will post back results next week.

iametarq
04-11-11, 10:59 PM
Sweet success! I disconnected the end links at the top where the attach to the strut. Took her back out for a drive down the street at 25mph and the rattle/rumble/clunking is not present.

Now I know for sure the strut assembly is fine. Unless of course the noise only happens if the end links are connected? Is that possible?

Regardless I'm going to get the end links and stabilizer bar bushings replaced this week or next.

Here's how I had it rigged during the test drive:

http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20deville/suspension/.cache/640x480-end_link_test.jpg

drewsdeville
04-12-11, 03:13 AM
Sure it's possible. The ends of those links are essentially small ball joints. Any slop will make noise. Grab the studs and try to wiggle them around in their sockets. Feel loose?

Good luck getting the bottom studs out of the sway bar. Can be a little difficult sometimes.

stoveguyy
04-18-11, 05:38 PM
thats a good way to ruin your muffler bearings.

iametarq
05-02-11, 01:29 PM
thats a good way to ruin your muffler bearings.

What are muffler bearings? I just drove down the street with the links disconnected and came back.

I could not get the bottom bolts from the end links off, too rusted, so I'm having the shop do them this morning.

EDIT: Got the car back, new links are on and there is no more rattle over bumps!! :thumbsup:

Glock3540
05-11-11, 06:22 PM
Muffler Bearings were used tongue in cheek.....

iametarq
06-24-11, 10:00 AM
Muffler Bearings were used tongue in cheek.....

:banghead:

david3100
09-26-11, 02:59 PM
Thanks iametarq. My 99 Deville is doing that on one side. I'll try what you did and see if my problem is similar to yours. I checked my muffler bearings already. Also, thanks for the picture and the "heads up" on the rusted nuts, so to speak.

johnny kannapo
10-01-11, 10:52 PM
You want to make sure the link is secured as pictured and not left dangling or it may cause damage elsewhere.