: DIY post for changing rotors 2005 cts-v

Goonie
04-06-11, 08:52 AM
Hey guys, I've been looking for a DIY post on changing rotors on a 2005 cts-v.

Pads are simple, just not sure if I have to take the whole caliper apart or just the bracket.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-06-11, 09:07 AM
Remove wheel, unbolt two caliper bolts, unscrew rotor retaining bolt, remove rotor, reverse procedure, rinse, repeat.

darkman
04-06-11, 09:11 AM
Rotor removal is simple. Once the wheel is off, you remove two caliper bolts and take off the caliper. The rotor is held on by a single torx screw. Reinstall the calipers using threadlocker and 88 foot pounds of torque. You may need to "re-spread" the pads if they close up on you, but that can be done with a C-clamp or similar device.

Goonie
04-06-11, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys, I figured as much. I know the rotor change is totally different on an 04.

Anyone know what size bolt the bracket is?

DrSpeed
04-06-11, 11:48 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

click on brakes.

It does not cover rotor removal, but it's only one torx fastener.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-06-11, 11:54 AM
Wait what? How is it totally different?

I think it's 19 mm. But that's just from memory.

tweeter81
04-06-11, 11:55 AM
Rotor removal is simple. Once the wheel is off, you remove two caliper bolts and take off the caliper. The rotor is held on by a single torx screw. Reinstall the calipers using threadlocker and 88 foot pounds of torque. You may need to "re-spread" the pads if they close up on you, but that can be done with a C-clamp or similar device.

I changed my rotors and pads last year, and I remember that if you need to spread the pads out further, just use your hands, it is really easy. You don't need any special tools for it.

tweeter81
04-06-11, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys, I figured as much. I know the rotor change is totally different on an 04.

Anyone know what size bolt the bracket is?

The brakes are identical between model years as far as I know, so the procedure is not any different.

thebigjimsho
04-06-11, 12:36 PM
I changed my rotors and pads last year, and I remember that if you need to spread the pads out further, just use your hands, it is really easy. You don't need any special tools for it.
Yep!