: Anyone know when the 2012 SRX will ship?

Audioi
04-06-11, 08:04 AM
Anyone know when the 2012 SRX will ship?
I am thinking its worth the wait for the 3.6.

TheCaptain
04-06-11, 08:25 AM
I imagine the model changeover happens in June/ July, so you'll start seeing them in August at the earliest...

Smokin' SRX
04-06-11, 10:34 AM
Agreed. Talk to a Dealer in late May. Worth the wait................. get the 3.6 eng

SS

Ponyman
04-06-11, 01:44 PM
If you gotta have the 3.6, wait. However if you are able toget a great deal on an 11 with the 3.0, test drive it and see if that engine is enough for you. MANY of us feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 3.0 and it has plenty of power.

Audioi
04-06-11, 08:14 PM
I did drive the 3.0 and the engine/trans was the only part of the car that seemed a little lack luster but IF I can get a good enough deal I would pull the plug. They offered $2k off MSRP plus $1500 for being a previous GM buyer so far. It might help that they have 8 of these on the floor but the sales team is pretty firm.

Ponyman
04-07-11, 08:36 AM
Try another dealership. You can do better. I got more than that off my 10 when they were new in the first year. if that dealer doesn't want to deal, someone will.

RAB
04-07-11, 01:54 PM
Dates for SORP (start of regular production) - 2012 Cadillacs

CTS Sedan - July 18
CTS Coupe - July 18
CTS Wagon - July 18
SRX - July 18
Escalade & ESV 2WD, AWD, Hybrid - August 8
Escalade EXT - August 15

Source for above: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/updated-2012-model-production-dates-100107/

Based on a SORP date of July 18th, I would expect 2012 SRX's to start showing up at dealerships around the middle of August.
I intend to place my order for a 2012 SRX AWD Premium 3.6L in early June.

RAB

Audioi
04-07-11, 02:09 PM
Perfect!
I will probably be doing the same.
Thanks

Smokin' SRX
04-10-11, 12:03 PM
Try another dealership. You can do better. I got more than that off my 10 when they were new in the first year. if that dealer doesn't want to deal, someone will.

Damn, you done good, Pony. $3500 total? I would grab a similar deal today. I got the $2K off MSRP on my 2010, but no Rebates/loyalty avail when I bought. But it sure don't hurt to shop.

SS

Audioi
04-10-11, 09:37 PM
Did some comparison at Hollman this weekend and the $3500 seems pretty near the end.

PJ1520
04-11-11, 12:21 PM
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, just a consideration.

The negotiated price on the 2011 better be pretty good because in a relatively short period of time it will be one model year old. We are now within 5 months of the 2012's showroom availability, and the depreciation difference between the 2012 and what the 2011's will be worth come September 1 is not chump change.

Wife and I have gone through this buy or wait decision ourselves. On two separate occasions, we found ourselves at the end of an August. We were at the cusp of either buying a brand new "leftover" or buying the "just hit the showroom" new release. Both cars were identical features-wise. Two brand new cars. No mileage on either.

Guess which model had a lower book value once we drove either one off the lot? Yup, the leftover new car. And in both instances, the dealers were unwilling to come down enough in price on the previous model year leftover to make it worth our while......even though both dealers had plenty of the previous models still sitting on the lot! So we grabbed the new release in both instances.

PJ

b4z
04-11-11, 12:42 PM
gminsidenews is reporting that the 2012 Impala will only offer the 3.6L LFX engine.
The rating is 287hp/258 torque. So the SRX will have a minimum of 287hp but more likely the 304hp and possible more offered in the 2012 CTS.
Both the 3.0L and the 3.6L tend to have their hp and tq peaks rather high in the rev range.

b4z
04-11-11, 12:48 PM
gminsidenews is reporting that the 2012 Impala will only offer the 3.6L LFX engine.
The rating is 287hp/258 torque. So the SRX will have a minimum of 287hp but more likely the 304hp and possible more offered in the 2012 CTS.
Both the 3.0L and the 3.6L tend to have their hp and tq peaks rather high in the rev range.
keep in mind that since the SRX has a transverse mounted engine there is not guarantee that it will get the same specs as the CTS and Camaro.(304-312hp)

Smokin' SRX
04-11-11, 01:52 PM
keep in mind that since the SRX has a transverse mounted engine there is not guarantee that it will get the same specs as the CTS and Camaro.(304-312hp)

Good point! We should not assume 304HP as a given. The manifolds must fit under the hood. They affect HP. But even the Impala specs would be very welcome and even satisfy me! (almost- LOL)

SS

RAB
04-11-11, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing the rating of the 3.6L LFX for the 2012 SRX will be somewhat higher than the reported rating of the same model engine going into the 2012 Impala. In the past GM have always dialed-in more HP for a given multi-brand engine utilized in a Cadillac model (with the Camaro being the exception here for obvious reasons).
I would expect the LFX engine in the 2012 SRX to be rated for at least 307HP.
HP and torque numbers for that specific engine should be available by the end of May 2011.

PJ1520
04-12-11, 10:44 AM
If Cadillac/GM goes with a single engine offering for 2012, they had better get it right or they risk losing the significant momentum they have achieved in this market segment with the highly successful introduction of the GenII SRX.

Just the availability of the higher output 2.8L turbo for 2010 and 2011 in the GenII SRX enabled Cadillac to sell more cars (with the lower output 3.0L), even if the turbo was not a high volume seller in and of itself.

As I have stated previously, the GenII SRX moved the MSRP base price point downward (versus the GenI) and made the SRX far more attractive to a much larger demographic. Off the top of my head, the Lexus RX 350 was hitting annual sales numbers of about 100,000 units per year while the GenI SRX was stuck around 20,000 units, and way back in the pack of this market segment. Lexus by and large has rested on its laurels and is now losing market share as a result.

The GenII changed all of that, that Lexus dominance. The RX may still be the highest seller in this market segment, but the GenII Cadillac SRX has taken huge chunks of market share from the competitors....and I believe moved from 5th in sales in the segment to either #3 or #2 behind the RX. That is a huge market shift and speaks volumes in just 1-2 model years.

The handwriting is on the wall. The Japanese products are arguably at a short term crossroads. Bulletproof Toyota has taken two sizeable recall hits to its quality image (and bottom line) the past 16 months, and sales have at best been been flat. The recent terrible and catastrophic natural and man-made events in Japan have changed the playing field for the time being, affecting production there AND here. Available vehicle inventories are declining, and this summer the Japanese automakers and their U.S. dealerships will be up against it. The door is open, wide open, to whichever automobile manufacturers have the vision and the stones to move, and move aggressively.

Ford makes no bones about its intent and is without a master when it comes to new and innovative product offerings, with the JD Power quality accolades to back them up three years running. The directly competing 2011 Lincoln MKZ sports best in class power and fuel economy (3.7L V6 with 305hp, 280 lb.-ft. torque and 19/26mpg) with an available hybrid in the lineup to boot. In case you have not noticed, the Lincoln MKT offers an available 3.5L twin turbo V6 rated at 355hp @ 5,700rpm and torque of 350lb.-ft. @ 3500rpm.....granted, the MKT is not exactly a one-to-one competitor (it's larger) to the GenII SRX. But it opens eyes and throws down the gauntlet to any other luxury SUV/Crossover manufacturer, domestic or foreign......even if they don't sell a ton of MKTs with that engine. In short, Ford is already engined up and is taking no prisoners now and going forward.

For the sake of this discussion, the time for GM and Cadillac to make a slightly bolder decision on the SRX (single engine choice for 2012) was/is now. "We don't just build luxury cars. We build Cadillacs!" or.........."The Cadillac of luxury cars!" say the commercials. It's time in my book where the rubber hits the road and a more aggressive engine choice is in order, one that will silence any previous critics yet maintain the very advantages that got the SRX to where it is. The next SRX single engine offering for 2012 had better put out.....and not just horsepower, but torque too. The 3.6L V6 for 2012 discussed here with 287hp/258lb. ft. falls a bit short in my mind: first, because there is no higher output option for 2012, and second because the highest rated available engine for an SRX keeps moving toward less powerful while the weight of the vehicle has remained relatively unchanged 2004-2012:

Gen I: 4.6L V8 320hp @ 6,400rpm and 315lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,400rpm
Gen II: 2.8L V6 turbo 300hp @ 5,500rpm and 295lb.-ft. of torque @ 1,850rpm
2012: 3.6L V6 287hp @ and 258lb.-ft. of torque @ (2012-2013 release?)

To the consumer (and to the manufacturers) fuel mileage and flex fuel capabilities may be increasing in their level of importance. But when we are talking about the premium luxury market demographic, economy is not on the list of top 3 must haves.

So my (optimistic and trusting) take on the next SRX engine for 2012 release is North of the horsepower and torque ratings of the next (Impala) engine discussed above.

PJ

RAB
04-12-11, 11:15 AM
News flash from GM News (Media.GM.com)

For Release: April 12, 2011, 10 a.m. EDT

2012 Cadillac SRX Offers More Powerful 3.6L Engine
New engine delivers improved acceleration, E85 ethanol FlexFuel capability

• Bluetooth becomes standard on all models
• Heated steering wheel for luxury, performance and premium versions
• New 20-inch machined-face wheel finish

DETROIT – Cadillac will offer a new, more powerful engine for the 2012 SRX, providing buyers of the luxury crossover with improved acceleration both from a standstill and when passing.

The SRX will receive a 3.6L direct-injected V-6 engine projected to deliver 300 horsepower (224 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. (353 Nm) of torque, according to preliminary tests by Cadillac. The SRX’s current 3.0L direct-injected V-6 engine provides 265 horsepower (198 kW) and 223 lb.-ft (302 Nm) of torque. SRX models with the new engine are expected to arrive at dealerships in late summer. Pricing will be announced closer to the start of production.

Dramatically redesigned for the 2010 model year, the SRX has quickly climbed the luxury crossover ranks. SRX total U.S. sales rose 153 percent last year to 51,094, outselling the Acura MDX, Audi Q5 and Mercedes-Benz GLK350, and second only to the Lexus RX350 in sales among midsize luxury crossovers.

With the new engine, the SRX is projected to top the Lexus RX350 in horsepower and torque. Lexus rates the RX350’s 3.5L V-6 engine at 275 horsepower (205 kW) and 257 lb.-ft. (348 Nm) of torque.

“SRX is resonating with luxury buyers by offering the function of a crossover and the distinctive style of a Cadillac,” said Don Butler, vice president of Cadillac marketing. “Now, we’re raising the standards even higher by providing the SRX with enhanced performance. The new engine will make the SRX more responsive for passing on the highway, entering freeways from on-ramps and climbing hills.”

In addition to more horsepower and torque, the new engine has a wider rpm range for its maximum torque, which gives the driver more power across a wider range of speeds and driving conditions.

The new engine also is FlexFuel capable, meaning it can use either gasoline, E85 ethanol or any combination of the two. EPA fuel economy ratings have not been finalized, but Cadillac expects the SRX to provide customers with comparable real-world fuel efficiency. The current engine has an EPA rating of 18 city/25 highway mpg.

Other enhancements on the 2012 SRX include standard Bluetooth phone connectivity on all models, a heated steering wheel on the luxury, performance and premium trim levels and door lock switches on the driver and passenger door panels. The new model will continue to have door lock switches on the center console. Also for 2012, SRX will offer a new machined-face finish on the 20-inch wheels, which are standard on performance and premium trim levels.

“Every detail counts,” Butler said. “The SRX has been a phenomenal success, but at Cadillac, we’re always looking for ways to make our automobiles better.”

Popular features already offered on the SRX include a moveable cargo fence and large under-floor storage space in the rear, a liftgate that can be programmed to stop at different heights and an UltraView sunroof that covers 70 percent of the vehicle roof.

The SRX also is available in an all-wheel-drive version that incorporates an electronic limited slip rear differential. This system not only improves traction in slippery road conditions but provides side-to-side torque transfer along the rear axle to enhance control during hard cornering.

About Cadillac
Cadillac has been a leading luxury auto brand since 1902. In recent years, Cadillac has engineered a historic renaissance led by artful engineering and advanced technology. More information on Cadillac can be found at media.cadillac.com.

# # #

Direct link to news release: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news.detail.brand_GM.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Apr/0412_srx

smiley47
04-12-11, 11:31 AM
I wonder if the 2012 SRX will have "Rain Sense" wipers? It's been deleted from many other models including the Escalade.

PJ1520
04-12-11, 11:47 AM
RAB.......where were you an hour ago when I needed you most!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

PJ

RAB
04-12-11, 12:28 PM
I wonder if the 2012 SRX will have "Rain Sense" wipers? It's been deleted from many other models including the Escalade.

Smiley - I wouldn't be surprised if GM decide to remove Rainsense on the 2012 SRX as a cost savings, as they've done on other Cadillac models.
I've had Rainsense on several Cadillacs as well as a couple of Oldsmobiles over the years. In general it's a nice feature, but I've found it doesn't work well in certain winter conditions up here in the north - when operating the vehicle during a snowfall or when there's freezing rain. For me.. I'm perfectly satisfied with standard adjustable interval wipers.

RAB.......where were you an hour ago when I needed you most!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

PJ

Sorry PJ!!
I posted the GM news release as soon as I spotted it... which worked out to be literally minutes after you hit the submit button. Incidentally your post was well written - great job. :thumbsup: