http://jesda.com/2011/04/06/review-and-video-2001-cadillac-seville-sts/

ThumperPup
04-06-11, 11:40 AM
2000 The guages also sweep i have seen a few 2001 that sweep also
but i know mine sweeps because i see it sweep all day long

nice review

ryannel2003
04-06-11, 01:45 PM
As usual, great review. Your opinion of the car pretty much mirrors what I feel about mine, and what's eerie is how similar our cars are built. My center console not only creaks, but the top latch is broken off part of the tray used to hold accessories is broken off on the left hand side as well. You didn't mention this in your review, but does your car have the shimmy? Mine has a slight one that even new Michelin tires couldn't help, but then again my suspension has seen better days.

You got a really great deal on yours, especially considering I paid $10k for my STS back in June 2008 with 54k miles.

orconn
04-06-11, 02:26 PM
I guess I have to consider myself lucky, considering all three of our Sevilles have been well put together and reliable. Although I prefer the looks and quality of the the fourth generation over the fifth generation car, and having lurked around the Forums for several years now, I have to totally agree with your review of these cars. I have enjoyed the first and last two generations of Sevilles, having owned each for a considerable length of time and can honestly say, no other American car has given me as much pleasure!

Jesda
04-06-11, 04:42 PM
does your car have the shimmy? Mine has a slight one that even new Michelin tires couldn't help, but then again my suspension has seen better days.

Remarkably, no shimmy. There was a rear 70mph shimmy caused by the tires, so I ordered Pirelli Scorpion STRs on eBay and had them road force balanced.

The shimmy came back 10,000 miles later, but this was a low speed shake rather than a highway shake -- replacing the wheel bearings a few days ago fixed it.

I also have new tie rods.

I've found only one shop in my part of town that offers road force balancing. They charge $25 per wheel.

RippyPartsDept
04-06-11, 07:03 PM
yeah, good review

and good production value
(only complaint is that your voice was a little stepped on by the road noise while driving but really not that badly)

and the article on jesda.com was really good too

ThumperPup
04-06-11, 08:40 PM
Jesda do you have a Mr Tire or a Discount Tire near you
usualy all of there shops have road force
atleast all the ones i have seen in Ohio MI PA NY NJ IL MN do
have you searched on the road force website for locations with there machines ?

Playdrv4me
04-06-11, 10:29 PM
Yea I forgot to mention to you that the camera has some kind of noise reduction feature that lowers your voice volume in addition to attempting to get rid of the ambient noise from the camera shaking and the car moving. Not a big deal but it might be possible to turn whatever that is off.

Jesda
04-06-11, 10:58 PM
There's a feature I just found called "wind cut" that claims to reduce background noise.

There is, however, no way to disable the dynamic compression.

ted tcb
04-06-11, 11:08 PM
Your review takes me back to owning 5 of these cars.

I've ended up with a love/hate relationship.

I absolutely love the body design ... it is the perfectly proportioned luxury sedan.
Muscle car in a taut, Armani suit.

The hate part comes into play as I purchase well used examples of the marque, telling myself
that I will ignore any little annoyances. Of course, I always end up trying to fix every little issue, going
nuts in the process.
I also find the car seems unduly heavy for the interior space.

The centre armrest on my 98, 99, 01, and 03 all rattled.

My 95 and 97 STS' lacked the toys of the later models, but seemed to be fastened together a little
better.

Thanks, Jesda, for taking us down the road with you.

Playdrv4me
04-06-11, 11:21 PM
There's a feature I just found called "wind cut" that claims to reduce background noise.

There is, however, no way to disable the dynamic compression.

The "wind cut" has to be it. As soon as the car was rolling at speed and background noise came in, your voice went way down in volume. Otherwise, that camera takes fantastic video.

ga_etc
04-06-11, 11:27 PM
If you think CVRSS is impressive in such a car, drive an '02.5 or '03 with MagnaRide. The difference will blow you away.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-11, 11:32 PM
Great video Jesda! You set the bar high with this one, it'll be hard to top.... (relentless persuit of perfection...) :lildevil:

You waxed poetic about the 1990-94 Q45's, and you've owned a few of those. If you had to choose a mint '01 STS or a mint '92 Q45, what would you choose?

Jesda
04-06-11, 11:32 PM
I thought MRC was a tiny bit too harsh in the 03. It seems a little bit softer in the DTS.

Great video Jesda! You set the bar high with this one, it'll be hard to top.... (relentless persuit of perfection...) :lildevil:

You waxed poetic about the 1990-94 Q45's, and you've owned a few of those. If you had to choose a mint '01 STS or a mint '92 Q45, what would you choose?

The STS, hassles and all.

Playdrv4me
04-06-11, 11:35 PM
I thought MRC was a tiny bit too harsh in the 03. It seems a little bit softer in the DTS.

Was just about to say the same. My opinion is that it's not necessarily "better" it's just "different" on the STS. It's nice having the choice between the two types of ride quality depending on what you find to be the higher priority (ride or sportiness).

ga_etc
04-06-11, 11:45 PM
It's been a while so I guess I'll have to find another one to drive, but the '03 I drove didn't feel any harsher than the ETC with CVRSS, but when you turned the wheel the STS stayed flat and held the road like it was on rails. Too bad the car was so damn dirty, and not the color combo I wanted.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-07-11, 12:03 AM
I'd love to drive a Magnaride STS. I've just gotta find one in my area...

ThumperPup
04-07-11, 12:13 AM
every time i pass a dealer around here with a 02 or 03 on hte window i stop to see if its a STS or SLS
hoping its an STS want to test drive one think about hey why not maybe get it i have a little saved up put as a down payment
knowing i probably wont unless i find the perfect one

but it seems like they are all between 5-8k with somehting major needing to be fixed

i can't belive one thing i saw the other day out in brunswick ohio not a 02 or 03 with magnaride thats what i am looking for one day to get

but i was driving buy saw an 2000 sts at one of the brunswick ohio dealers had it parked right out front on the lawn
saw the price said 4695 i was like wow for a 2000 and at that price must be in great condition got into check it out
and i had 3 light son the SES ligth was on needed a MAF
SYS light was on needed a front Left Struts
also in with the SYS it needed a front left wheel speed sensor
i asked the dealer you know your asking alot for the car and alot is wrong he said but where holesaling this to the public at a great price i just loughed and said ok well tell that to the person that comes back after purchasing saying hey i had to put 1000 into a new struts 500 into a wheel bearing and speed sensor and maf sensor

made me freaking lought the dealer asked me what i thout would be exseptable i said under asumption that the head gaskets where good or had been repalced id say 2k also this had 181k on it
lol

i almost thout of you Jesda i was thinking perhaps this is the one you drove up to look at in ohio lol

ryannel2003
04-07-11, 12:26 PM
I thought the MRC in the '03 STS I drove was absolutely perfect, and a noticeable difference over my STS. The car felt tauter and was more prepared to corner than the CVRSS, even though when I bought my car 3 years ago it was still fun to drive. By now I'm sure my CVRSS barely reads the road, let alone adjusts in the corners.

If anybody is looking for a clean STS, I'm absolutely obsessed with this one at the moment:

'02 STS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-STS-69K-LOADED-YouTube-Video-/290551715500?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a63b56ac#ht_36363wt_1149)

drewsdeville
04-07-11, 01:24 PM
Those iridescent colors like the white diamond and crimson pearl do nothing for me on these cars...or any car for that matter. The paint itself is neat to look at, but for me it detracts from the cars appearance as a whole.

Looks super clean nonetheless.

gdwriter
04-07-11, 11:15 PM
Glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks the Seville’s headlights suck. Really my only complaint with the car. I’ve tried GE Nighthawks, which were a little better, now have Phillips CrystalVision, another incremental improvement. Having the headlights professionally wet sanded soon; did it myself with the 3M kit; results were decent, but I’m sure a professional job will be better.

Spot on for the review. You know how much I adore my Seville for it’s timeless elegance, comfort and performance. I love that it’s fun to drive or utterly effortless — however you want it to be. Giving the Northstar a WOT is still thrilling.

I think mine must have built on one of Hamtramck’s good days. The only fit-and-finish issue I’ve seen in mine is the A-pillar trim on the driver’s side is not completely flush and the front console door is misaligned (the dealer said the spring is probably stretched, but the whole console would have to be replaced; not worth it. My iPod sits on top of it, so it’s barely noticeable. No squeaks or rattles and the interior looks beautiful, especially after I’ve used Pledge on the wood trim and it’s gleaming.

You should check out the August 2001 issue of Automobile (I got one on eBay). Very complimentary story on the Seville STS and DeVille DTS.

cadillac kevin
04-08-11, 12:07 AM
the 4th and 5th gen sevilles and the similarly styled edlorados are my favorite caddys from 1990 onward. the styling makes my jaw drop- its so simple yet elegant at the same time.
interior looks very polished on yours- the wood is beautiful.
bose stereo sounds just like mine, but I don't have a woofer in the car behind me and I've got 5 less speakers.

ben.gators
04-08-11, 12:35 AM
I thought the MRC in the '03 STS I drove was absolutely perfect, and a noticeable difference over my STS. The car felt tauter and was more prepared to corner than the CVRSS, even though when I bought my car 3 years ago it was still fun to drive. By now I'm sure my CVRSS barely reads the road, let alone adjusts in the corners.

If anybody is looking for a clean STS, I'm absolutely obsessed with this one at the moment:

'02 STS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-STS-69K-LOADED-YouTube-Video-/290551715500?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a63b56ac#ht_36363wt_1149)

LOL... I have been watching this car for awhile... however I don't have enough cash now to step in.... But after one year or so I need to make a decision! Spending 2500$ for new struts and shocks for my 99 STS, or selling the car and buying a low millage 2002.5, 2003 STS!

ryannel2003
05-13-11, 11:15 PM
I'm going to revive this thread because I have been thinking in the past month or so of getting rid of my STS and moving on to something more fuel efficient and cheaper to own. Problem is that once you've owned a car like this it's hard to see yourself driving anything else. I don't think most people care that much, but I have a hard time finding anything else that would make me as satisfied as owning a Seville. I've owned mine for 3 years in June and I still smile when I walk outside to it. Sometimes though I would like to drive it off a cliff. I have a list of Seville's on the internet that are absolutely beautiful examples. If anybody is looking for a Seville, these are some great candidates:

'93 STS (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=289662614&dealer_id=75441&car_year=1993&systime=&doors=&model=SEV&search_lang=en&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1305339137270&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=45000&color=&address=28562&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=CAD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=347&standard=false)
'96 STS (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=299700004&dealer_id=1393311&car_year=1996&systime=&doors=&model=SEV&search_lang=en&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1305339137270&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=45000&color=&address=28562&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=CAD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=2488&standard=false)
'94 STS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Cadillac-Seville-STS-Sedan-Polo-Beautiful-L-K-NR-/180665249190?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a107ceda6)
'97 STS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-Cadillac-Seville-STS-SUPER-LOW-MILES-V8-Luxury-/190532664022?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5ca1bad6)
'02 STS (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=299620324&dealer_id=100016026&car_year=2002&systime=&doors=&model=SEV&search_lang=en&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1305339137270&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=45000&color=&address=28562&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=CAD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=2462&standard=false)
'03 STS (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=299620324&dealer_id=100016026&car_year=2002&systime=&doors=&model=SEV&search_lang=en&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1305339137270&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=45000&color=&address=28562&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=CAD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=2462&standard=false)

BTW I don't have anything against SLS's... they're just not as plentiful with low mileage as the STS's. SLS's are great if you're looking for the style of the Seville with the ride comfort of the Deville. Plus they get better gas mileage.

orconn
05-14-11, 12:32 AM
I prefer the clean styling of the fourth series STS verses the chrome embellishment of the SLS of the nineties. Once series five Sevilles differentiated the STS and SLS only with the chrome grill and fog lights the aesthetic difference no longer made a difference to me.

gdwriter
05-14-11, 02:42 AM
Finally got around to watching the full video. Nice choice of Adele for your audio demo. And I completely agree that driving this car makes you feel like a million bucks.

greencadillacmatt
05-14-11, 04:40 AM
^Like Hoover's Chauffeur said, I finally watched your review. (Thanks ryannel for reviving the thread!) Why do you not work for an automobile publication of some sort? That was an excellent review!

FrankT
05-14-11, 09:38 AM
Nice video Jesda, I agree with your review of the STS.
I looked at a 2004 SLS this week with 40k on clock, no way was I interested, I didn't even want to drive it, no wood grain, no bose, no moon roof, cheaper seats, no heated seats, no, no..... just a plain jane and he was asking 11.5K, too much I think. I'm still looking for a clean 01-03 STS.
Next time your in Mich, let me know, I'll program your dash to say Hello Jesda, instead of Driver 1, Mine says Hello Frank T.

Jesda
05-14-11, 02:40 PM
Nice!!

Stingroo
05-14-11, 08:30 PM
That's actually a cool touch. :)

Hello Mr. Nice-Pants.

I can see it now....

maeng9981
05-15-11, 03:16 AM
Never noticed that 2001+ dash works differnetly than those 00 and before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRVOJUEiGI

Not only by the gauge sweep but also the springy vs smooth feeling of the gauges at startup