: Shocks / Struts: Anyone had to replace?

Josuave
04-06-11, 04:06 AM
I'm intermittently getting a vibration at highway speed. The Stealership said my strut has a small leak and my ball joint has some play in it. They're talking something like $3K for everything. No thanks! What options do I have as they said there are no aftermarket Shock/Strut available?
Thanks.

hcvone
04-06-11, 06:57 AM
I have had customers pick up caddy shocks on e-bay at a good price, there are not really any options, what year is your truck?

darhef
04-06-11, 10:10 AM
Yeah, just recently had to replace the two front shocks and a lower control arm. Apparently they can't replace just the ball joint in the aluminum arms. Dealership wanted 1500.00 + for the shocks plus install and 350.00 for the control arm plus install. I bought a PAIR of Brand new OEM shocks on eBay for half the price, shipping included. but I paid full price for the control arm at the dealer. I would recommend you change both front shocks. There is a good chance the other is on the way out as well.

baleman
04-06-11, 04:49 PM
I'm intermittently getting a vibration at highway speed. The Stealership said my strut has a small leak and my ball joint has some play in it. They're talking something like $3K for everything. No thanks! What options do I have as they said there are no aftermarket Shock/Strut available?
Thanks.

I am also experiencing the same issue. I found Arnott is selling replacement that fit 2007 Escalade on ebay. Has anybody heard of them?

TexFinn
04-06-11, 08:54 PM
I am also experiencing the same issue. I found Arnott is selling replacement that fit 2007 Escalade on ebay. Has anybody heard of them?

Arnott is pretty highly regarded at least among Ford Expedition owners. I actually used one of their kits to convert a 2000 Expedition from air to conventional suspension some years ago. Good service and good products.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-06-11, 11:19 PM
Arnott shocks are good. If you have magnetic ride, not so much... I used them on my 2002 as a replacement shock with the bypass. If you use the bypass shocks, they are cheaper at Advanced Auto Parts using available coupons from this forum.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6_pid150.htm l

baleman
04-07-11, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the information, I am glad it is a known company. I will try them out and post the installation in a few weeks.

48Dodge
04-07-11, 02:01 PM
I checked at Advance before going to the dealer. They have OE replacement shocks in the system, but they aren't available yet. Price is listed at $0.00. I told the guy I'd take a dozen of them. He said when that happens that means they will be available for sale within 6 months. Could be next week, could be an entire 6 months from now. After getting a price on shocks from the dealer and the install price, I took it there. They screwed up and replaced the wrong shock (noise sounded like the front left, turns out the front right is the bad one), so they did that one out of their pocket. I'm scheduled to go in on Monday to replace the right one. Fingers crossed that will fix the noise.

halfnoon2002
04-07-11, 04:25 PM
Possibily a stupid question, but after a strut has been replaced should they do an alignment? Dealer just replaced the front driver side strut on my 07 and told me they didnt need to align it after they replaced it. I always thought an alignment was necessary after any suspention work. Is this accurate?

darhef
04-07-11, 10:29 PM
Possibily a stupid question, but after a strut has been replaced should they do an alignment? Dealer just replaced the front driver side strut on my 07 and told me they didnt need to align it after they replaced it. I always thought an alignment was necessary after any suspention work. Is this accurate?

Maybe coincidence but, I had to go back and get an alignment when my front shocks were replaced. There was quite a noticable pull to the right.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-12-11, 09:58 AM
halfnoon2002, are you currently experienceing an issue with the alignment of the vehicle?

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

halfnoon2002
04-12-11, 07:57 PM
halfnoon2002, are you currently experienceing an issue with the alignment of the vehicle?

Nothing that I notice, I just thought it was a must after suspention work?

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-13-11, 04:37 PM
I am unsure on whether it is required or not. I would suggest possibly speaking with another dealership if you can on whether or not they feel it would be required after the kind of work you had performed. I hope that helps you.

48Dodge
04-13-11, 09:15 PM
The only time I can think it would be required is if you hit a pothole or curb and blew a shock out that way. Since the shock doesn't support the vehicle it shouldn't affect the geometry of it whether it's new or old.

Kazo Zako
05-10-11, 01:02 PM
Well I went through replacement of the front ones - developed small leak, i racked up 82000mi on 08 ESV. You can get direct replacement shock from GM auto parts store for about $360 each and it is 1.5-2hr labor, any decent mechanic should do. Arnott's are great air shocks if you forfeit magnetic ride, they supply by-pass plug to fool computer.

Big Windy Ext
05-10-11, 07:41 PM
The dealer replaced my front ones when I started getting a rattle in my front end. No alignment was performed nor seemed needed.

ronjohn
05-30-11, 09:59 PM
I beg the manager and cadillac to replace my struts... He did it for free.