: Creative Steel Bushing Install ?

veloce
04-05-11, 05:50 PM
I am thinking of doing the Creative Steel Differential Bushing install. I would like feedback from people who have done it. I would like to know if it really is a 2 hour job in the garage and 1 hour on the lift as suggested or what is the real time to be done. How well does the Tool provided work ? Finally the most subjective part is , how bad is the increase in NHV ? Thanks Jeff

The Guns
04-05-11, 09:59 PM
did it last fall. it is maybe longer than a couple hours for the first one.

The tool is absolutely critical...don't even bother attempting without it.

NHV? noise harmonic vibration?? it was unnecessary for me to replace the bushing. I had 36K on the 06 at the time, and the stock bushing was fine. Diff whine did not get any better or worse (includes synthetic oil change in the diff). my diff whine was not a lot to begin with. the bushing also did not eliminate any of the clunking during clutch disengagement. the damn flywheel is a major problem with these; that part will be replaced when i need a new clutch.

I'd suggest you make 100% sure you need the bushing before undergoing the project.

danrob0123
04-08-11, 11:52 PM
Install wasn't too bad, I did it on jackstands, I just removed the 2 bolts for the rear diff mounts, unbolted my exhaust which made it a lot easier to get at the front diff mount (where the bushing is), the you just use the tool along with a rachet to remove old bushing and press in the new one. Reassemble and you're done. The kit comes with a few good instructions with pictures so you shouldn't have a problem. Took me about 3 hours.

The bushing made a hugeeeee improvement considering mine was SHOT having 78k miles. you could hear the diff banging up and down on torque reversal during shifting/ anytime you would push/let go of clutch. Actually went under the car on a lift once and pushed up on the front of the diff and it pivoted freely with about an inch of play. The bushing completely eliminated this clunk and made my car decent to drive again =] and at $65 + 20 for tool rental, best mod for the buck I've ever done. Hope this helps, good luck.

Dan

veloce
04-11-11, 05:54 PM
Dan Tanks for the info. How about Noise Harshness and Vibration increases? I know there will be some but how bad in your case? Thanks Jeff

danrob0123
04-11-11, 09:38 PM
I have not noticed any increases in noises or vibrations. I expected at least a minor increase because of things I had read on here, but I noticed nothing. Only thing that changed was no more differential clunk!!! which is what Max was aiming for when he designed this bushing, and he puts a lot of R&D into creating the perfect polyurethane stiffness to use in all his products to ensure no vibes are increased tremendously while still keeping it strong enough to take abuse. For me this mod was a 100% positive experience and at $85 it's not a big investment by any means haha so I say go for it

bneal1022
04-11-11, 09:48 PM
I have done it a few times as I have changed my diff. It is a solid 2 hour job. Not hard providing you use the tool. I have an awesome walkthrough in pdf. It has pics and all. Pm me if you want it, give me your email. Zero worries about nvh. I had a creative bushing but now have uuc as I had a problem with my creative, but max replaced it with a new one. He is a solid guy. Either way, no worries.

Twitch
04-12-11, 12:19 PM
Just ordered the bushing and tool.

bneal, can you send that PDF to Gixxer988@aol.com?
Thanks

Tony

bneal1022
04-14-11, 10:03 PM
I just sent it, and about 4 of my other write ups to you... good luck

JustinC
04-15-11, 01:17 AM
Can I get the writeup too??? Just ordered diff bushing, motor mounts and install tool as well

Twitch
04-15-11, 10:30 AM
Justin, post up or PM your email. I'll forward them to you.

Got my delivery yesterday, super fast shipping. After checking out the tool, I couldn't wait to get under the car. This thing is amazing!!! He built a wheel bearing into it so you don't have to grind while turning the bolt. A lot of thought went into it and it's really well maid. If I was that type of person, I'd consider keeping it :lildevil: And the laminated instructions were perfect. Not too much nonsense, just enough info for someone who knows their way around a toolbox.

Did it in two hours flat. The exhaust and prep (finding tools, jacking the car, etc) took most of the time. I loosened the drivers side rear bolt and removed the pass side bolt. When I pulled out the big forward bolt, she dropped down far enough to get the tool in. Quite a bit of grease on the old bushing so it slid out with minimal effort. Once you get to the diff, the hardest part is unscrewing the pass side rear bolt. It's just long and you can't use a socket to get it out all the way, so a gear wrench would be real handy. I did not pull an axle out or unbolt the driveshaft. Just dropped the exhaust.

My stock bushing was completely shot. It banged (not clunk) between gears and light throttle inputs. It even made the car feel like it was coming apart going over bumps. The car was soo much smoother last night. I have about 400 miles on the new clutch, and with the car feeling the way it should I decided to give it some gas in 1st and 2nd. Throttle response is so much better with the 30lbs reduction in the drive train. You get instant acceleration and the tires don't stand a chance......No, I'm not getting off topic with a clutch review, read on...... So I give it about 50% throttle in second, the back kicks out a bit,,,,and I hear a pop. I ease off and make sure the diff is still good. It's fine but i notice a bit of a clunk now. Before this incident I noticed what I'll call some very faint driveline lash during torque reversal situations. Didn't rally feel it, but heard it sometimes. Now it's a bit worse and you notice a bit of a clunk, otherwise the car drives fine. It was late, so I'll have to wait till tonight to look under there. I was really hoping to show my appreciation by sending the tool back the day after I got it. I doubt it's an issue with the bushing so the tool should be on it way Monday.

With this bushing and my specter bushings, the whine is a bit louder and more high pitched. I have some Amsiol 75/140 in the garage. Hopefully it'll quiet it down.

Tony

bneal1022
04-17-11, 03:15 PM
tony, don't bet it making it quieter. I have amsoil 75w-110 as a middle of the road with redline additive. i ended up yanking out my specters when i added aftermarket axle and a brand new diff. I wanted all whine GONE. It took removing the specters. Glad it all worked out for you. it is an easy job. Actually i cant hear anyhting over my cutouts !!! I never thought about not unbolting the drive shaft... good point !

JustinC pm me your email and i'll send the write ups.

Twitch
04-18-11, 01:09 PM
It actually worked. Changed the bushing Thursday and the oil Friday. I was a bit louder and definitely higher pitched than the stocker. With the 75W-140 it sounds a lot like the stock bushing. The first time I did the Amsoil (a couple years ago) it got quieter after a few hundred miles. I'm hoping that's the case now.

Gidish
04-23-11, 01:09 PM
What is preferred, the CS bushing or the UUC? I need to replace mine and was wondering if one was a bit easier to replace than the other? Will the CS tool work with the UUC too?

w07364
06-07-11, 02:53 AM
I did the Creative Steel (http://www.creative-steel.com/home.php) front bushing install today. Max (user name MotorMounts, 888-316-1811) and Kristie are super friendly, they shipped parts quickly, and they gave TERRIFIC customer service (I called and spoke with Max a few times when I had questions).

They say it isn't necessary but I pulled my Borla exhaust pipes so I would have more room to work. Removed the three bolts holding up the diff, supporting it with my floor jack, and then slowly lowered it down until the axles were resting on the frame.

I rented the Creative Steel removal/install tool when I purchased their bushing, which came with color photo instructions. The tool is VERY well made and incorporates a wheel bearing to reduce friction when tightening the tool during removal and install. From the time I had their removal/install tool configured correctly and started turning the wrench, it had the bushing out in one minute with minimal effort. Install was the same. Worked like a charm! Their tool is a "must have." I've heard some horror stories about trying to get the bushing out.

The only real issue was getting the front bushing bolt out and then back in. The bolt is very long and came out fairly easily until the head collided with the decreasing radius of the exhaust heat shield, which is attached to the underside of the floorpan tunnel. I had to create a small valley in the heat shield material to gain the extra space so I could work the bolt the rest of the way out. It still took some effort and a few choice words...... Getting the front bushing bolt back in was equally a P.I.T.A. It was the most time consuming part of the operation.

I had my daughter helping as I'm teaching her to wrench on cars so it took us about four hours total with the exhaust removal. It was a learning process and subsequent bushing changes on my friends' Vs will be much quicker.

I'd heard other V owners complain about whining noises from the diff after installing urethane bushings so I was a little worried. I had my first bushing replaced by the dealer but decided to do this one myself. My car has 115k miles and the familiar "clunking" was starting to return. I have never had any diff whining or other problems besides the worn out bushings.

My test ride showed the Creative Steel bushing to be as quiet as the OEM bushing in my car. I have ZERO noise transmission or vibration as a result of the Creative Steel bushing, which was the case with the shot-out OEM bushing. Upshifting and downshifting is notably more responsive due to the reduced movement of the rear diff.

I have the Creative Steel transmission mount, engine mounts, and shifter bushings (for my short shifter by PISNUOFF - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/192900-custom-short-shifter-ordering-process.html), which I plan to install in the coming weeks.

When I was talking with Max, he mentioned they have designed a Ford 8.8-inch rear diff, axle, and driveline modification for the V, which will completely eliminate all of the issues associated with the 04-07 diff and axles. Max said a complete Ford 8.8 diff, with new axle shafts, and new driveline, with all necessary parts/hardware was around $4,500. Apparently he already has it installed in his V. I'll be saving my pennies.

GDPossehl
06-07-11, 03:19 PM
^^^ Word for word, this was my same experience. I had a little difficulty putting my exhaust back on because my studs were a little crooked, but the rest was exactly the same.

I really don't see how anyone could do this with the exhaust still on though...

Twitch
06-07-11, 03:59 PM
Second time around I did it without removing the exhaust. Just unhooked it from the pass side hangers and let it sag. I used a gear wrench this time, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. Didn't unbolt the driveshaft either. Having done it twice within a couple months, install was about an hour.

CADZILA
08-09-11, 07:54 PM
Second time around I did it without removing the exhaust. Just unhooked it from the pass side hangers and let it sag. I used a gear wrench this time, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. Didn't unbolt the driveshaft either. Having done it twice within a couple months, install was about an hour.

What is a "gear wrench" ? I have worked in the automotive field in one form or another for 25 years and have never heard of a gear wrench.

Twitch
08-10-11, 09:13 AM
What is a "gear wrench" ? I have worked in the automotive field in one form or another for 25 years and have never heard of a gear wrench.
Really??? It's a combination wrench, but the closed end is ratcheting.
Google it for pics.

CADZILA
08-10-11, 01:58 PM
Really??? It's a combination wrench, but the closed end is ratcheting.
Google it for pics.

You mean a Ratcheting Wrench like this..

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=hand&Group_ID=12779&store=snapon-store

"Gear Wrench" must be an east coast term...

lollygagger8
08-10-11, 02:31 PM

Is he for real?

htcoles
05-17-12, 10:28 PM
Just about to rent the CS tool myself and give it a go! I have heard some mention of grease for the install of the new bushing. Can someone elaborate? I am not much of a mechanic, but done a few jobs when I have to, so I am glad he asked about a gear wrench!:) Just lube up the edges with standard grease to help slide the new bushing in? I am working on a 2004 SRX.....anyone know if all the procedures are about the same? CS seems to have done it on an 05 and 06 SRX, so I am making an assumption it is the same. Also, I plan to use a lift. What is the best way to release the rear diff and make sure it is still supported since I will be too high up for hydraulic jack? Once I lower it, the frame and exhaust will hold the weight for the install assuming I don't disconnect the exhaust, right? Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

HAMSTAR
05-18-12, 02:16 PM
Just about to rent the CS tool myself and give it a go! I have heard some mention of grease for the install of the new bushing. Can someone elaborate? I am not much of a mechanic, but done a few jobs when I have to, so I am glad he asked about a gear wrench!:) Just lube up the edges with standard grease to help slide the new bushing in? I am working on a 2004 SRX.....anyone know if all the procedures are about the same? CS seems to have done it on an 05 and 06 SRX, so I am making an assumption it is the same. Also, I plan to use a lift. What is the best way to release the rear diff and make sure it is still supported since I will be too high up for hydraulic jack? Once I lower it, the frame and exhaust will hold the weight for the install assuming I don't disconnect the exhaust, right? Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

WRT installation of the new CS bushing, I followed a tip from a Caddy mechanic that worked like a charm. Put the bushing in a freezer overnight. When you are ready to install it, pull it out of the freezer, rub a little dish soap around it to help it slide in. Put it on ice as you take it out to the car, because it begins to expand the moment you take it out of the freezer. Take it off ice and put it in immediately, careful to make sure the red lines are horizontal. It popped right in for me. I had to "encourage" it a little bit with a hammer and a piece of teflon, but it pretty much slipped right in.