: About to purchase a Escalade ESV - some questons

B-Line
04-05-11, 04:37 PM
I'm about to purchase a blk/blk, 2008 ESV. It's got about 37k miles, asking price is $41,987.
I'm going to be trading in my 2008 F-350, lariat, Crew cab - dually.

I want to do the transaction for my vehicle plus $10k. I'm doing it through a dealer and want to the ESV certified.

Anything I should know or do before the purchase? Anything to look out for? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
B

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 05:37 PM
I'm about to purchase a blk/blk, 2008 ESV. It's got about 37k miles, asking price is $41,987.
I'm going to be trading in my 2008 F-350, lariat, Crew cab - dually.

I want to do the transaction for my vehicle plus $10k. I'm doing it through a dealer and want to the ESV certified.

Anything I should know or do before the purchase? Anything to look out for? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
B

I would think that with gas going the way it is 42k should be no where near out of line for an '09. The 2009s were the first year with Bluetooth, electronic motorized tilt AND telescope steering (as opposed to mechanical tilt only), the latest engine reliability improvements, and a much higher likelihood (though no guarantee) of no wind noise.

That said, if you can get the 08 for what you feel is a good deal, they aren't bad by any means. Check thoroughly for wind noise from the A pillar on BOTH sides of the truck, make sure it shifts smoothly, ensure the truck is completely cold (as in overnight) and when you start it listen for any tapping or knocking... Not a big deal if it lasts a few moments, but it should almost immediately quiet down. If not you have bad piston slap. Check the heated and cooled seats, they like to pooch out. Listen for any driveline whine, grinding or other noises carefully.

If it passes those tests, you should be good to go for a long time.

B-Line
04-05-11, 05:54 PM
I didn't realize that Bluetooth only became available in 2009. So I either have to step up a year or go aftermarket?

B-Line
04-05-11, 07:16 PM
Wow, really strange... I was just looking for a 2009 and there are non on auto trader. There are 2007's, 2008's, 2010's but there is strangely not a single 2009.

And the price jumps up a lot from the 2008 to the 2010. It would be less costly, significantly to just purchase a 2008 and do an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth.

evois
04-05-11, 07:30 PM
btw, there only steering wheel tilt but no telescoping adjustment in the 09's

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 07:55 PM
btw, there only steering wheel tilt but no telescoping adjustment in the 09's

Sorry, you are correct, that is a 2010 thing.

To B-Line... all hope is not lost with the Bluetooth. Do a search here for "VCIM" or "Bluetooth VCIM". It can be easily added by doing a module swap (but you will lose OnStar, if that matters to you, it doesn't to most of us).

B-Line
04-05-11, 10:39 PM
oh good to know, I don't give a shit about Onstar. Do you know the approximate cost of doing that swap?

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 11:04 PM
oh good to know, I don't give a shit about Onstar. Do you know the approximate cost of doing that swap?

Recently, the modules have been very tough to find (GM doesn't sell them separately), but USUALLY with a little patience you can find the modules on Ebay for between 200 and 250.00, sometimes with the Bluetooth antenna and sometimes without. The antenna is usually sold for 25.00 separately if your module doesn't come with it (it is just a nub that sticks out of the end of the module). It should not cost more than 300.00 no matter what. Then it is just a matter of removing the trim around the radio, the radio itself, and unclipping the existing non Bluetooth VCIM out of it's hole, and replacing it with the Bluetooth VCIM. No programming or anything else is required and you immediately gain full bluetooth functionality.

There are MULTITUDES of compatible part numbers for the VCIM, but the one I am using is 20827036. I literally have that memorized now.

B-Line
04-05-11, 11:15 PM
Excellent information. Thank you.

I might have also just contracted the services of a limo company/dealer who is going to try to help me find an ESV at auction. I'll pay them $1000 and save some money rather than buying through a dealership. The only downside, I can't get it certified.

Playdrv4me
04-06-11, 03:24 AM
Excellent information. Thank you.

I might have also just contracted the services of a limo company/dealer who is going to try to help me find an ESV at auction. I'll pay them $1000 and save some money rather than buying through a dealership. The only downside, I can't get it certified.

Not necessarily, sometimes you can find one that was pre-certified before the previous owner's purchase (which means you'd likely be owner 3). They do turn up that way from time to time, particularly right now since even people who bought them recently are going right back and dumping them out of fuel price fear.

Zhariak
04-06-11, 09:53 AM
I bought a 08 ESV brand new back in 08.

Pros (of the 08):
None of this stupid fuel management BS. You've got all 8 cylendars running all the time. The vehicle sounds beefy, throttle response is amazing, etc... I had a few 09 or later rentals, the fuel management stuff ANGERED me beyond beleif. Huge delay in some when I needed to accelerate ASAP. Price point will be better then a newer model (which with a few exceptions are all the same).

Cons:
No Bluetooth
No magnaride or whatever it's called.

When you purchase the vehicle, check to make sure that all the door panels inside of the vehicle are flush with the door, check for rattles with cranking up a deep bass tune...

There might be some mis-alignment with the panels inside of the vehicle towards the 3rd row of seats (on the side of the vehicle behind the back doors, I saw this is in a few, including mine), but it's not a big deal, mine are still fastened, solid, and dont make sounds.

Other than that, I have to say the 08 ESV is a beautiful ride, that I DONT regret buying brand new... Just make sure that you ask around for the best dealership in your area to get service done (you'd be amazed at how much damage some places will do when fixing issues)