: Garage Flooring Options...

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 01:13 PM
So I've finally invested in toolboxes, cabinets and a workbench. And some new lighting. My garage is very small, along the lines of 20'X20'. And it's a modest cinder block construction with a concrete floor. No insulation and minimal heat.

I've seen a number of flooring threads in many forums over the years and I've always thought it nice. But since all these things are yet to be put in the garage, I am thinking of if I should put down some flooring. Work will be done, oil will spill, metal objects will fall.

What do you guys think? What have you done? Should I paint? Should I tile? Should I leave it alone. A clean look would be nice but I also don't want to spend a ton, not because I can't afford it, I just want a floor that looks apropos to its surroundings. I'm sure some of you rich bitches have carpet! :yup:

e6t
04-05-11, 01:14 PM
im interested in this as well.

Caddy Wagon
04-05-11, 01:22 PM
...I'm sure some of you rich bitches have carpet! :yup:

I'm FAR from being rich, but my garage is carpeted (indoor-outdoor style), heated, and cooled. The only reason is because our house was the original model home in our neighborhood. They had the garage door framed out, but had french doors leading into the garage area. That being said, after being in the house 12 years I need to replace it, or put something else down.

JOEYCTS-V
04-05-11, 01:37 PM
I don't know how much you're willing to spend but I went with the racedeck flooring when I bought my house a few years ago. I love the way it looks, it's simple to install and it comes in a lot of different styles and colors. It's also oil resistant. http://www.racedeck.com/

brothleutner
04-05-11, 01:39 PM
I have not done anything to my garage yet, but I painted my utility room floor with rustoleum's epoxy floor coating. There are 3 different "grades" if you will, we did the professional (best) and think it worked out great. I'm planning on doing the garage this spring. This stuff is true epoxy paint, not the fake latex stuff. It stinks going down, but so far has been strong as nails. My only complaint is the the sheen is not consistent. When I do the garage I'm thinking about putting down there clear coat as well to fix this. It's pretty much oil/chemical proof, so cleaning it is easy. Also, the amount of dust in your garage should go down quite a bit. Concrete is very dusty painting keeps it down.

I've thought about putting rubber tiles down, but they are way more expensive, and I would think lots of crap gets underneath them.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=14 Don't know where you live, but Menards is where I got mine. Lowes had the cheaper stuff, and Home Depot had another brand (behr maybe?).

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 01:43 PM
I don't know how much you're willing to spend but I went with the racedeck flooring when I bought my house a few years ago. I love the way it looks, it's simple to install and it comes in a lot of different styles and colors. It's also oil resistant. http://www.racedeck.com/
Not a lot. But if I fell in love with something, I can be persuaded to overspend. Flooring is a last minute thought so anything more than a few hundred bucks is probably too much.

baabootoo
04-05-11, 02:27 PM
I tried two of the big name epoxy-type garage floor coatings, doing the latest just last fall. I spent about $70 or so for each one. They didn't hold up too well. My other car sat over the winter, and left rubber "stains" on it. My snow blower also left some rust stains too. I even sanded the floor like they said all day. The first brand peeled/flaked, and this one stained pretty bad. Maybe the $200 one that they showed on Spike might work, but these ones didn't hold up worth spit.

CASEY122457
04-05-11, 02:37 PM
Did a garage with ucoatit 6 years ago. Has held up well. Floor prep is the key. www.ucoatit.com

thebigjimsho
04-05-11, 04:11 PM
Thanks guise! Keep 'em coming...

OldRoadDawg
04-05-11, 05:24 PM
Thanks guise! Keep 'em coming...
How about a nice polished granite..... :yup:

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/Miscellaneous/garagefloor.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
04-05-11, 05:51 PM
somebody likes to go fast

ThumperPup
04-05-11, 05:57 PM
Naturestone but not so sure it would be great if your going ot be using it as a work area

but it looks really nice
we have the single and the 2 1/2 here and in FL naturstone
but be careful i dropped a w ratchet and it chipped preaty bad dad saw it and was pist lol

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 06:21 PM
Heard nothing but good things about U-Coat It. It's also relatively inexpensive. Major prep work required though.

Jesda
04-05-11, 06:31 PM
I'd be interested in a garage floor that doesn't stain when you drip oil on it.

dvandentop
04-05-11, 06:33 PM
dont paint it unless you are willing to do the cement grinding and also the acid wash to get it perfect for paint.

i did mine myself and did all the above, my friend paid someone and his is peeling like a bitch, not sure what they did different then i did, as they also ground the cement surface.

i did the top clear coat as well so maybe that helps

ThumperPup
04-05-11, 06:36 PM
i hate painted floors steps anyting painted that you walk on makes it so much more slipper i already get scared just walking out of my girlfirneds house her front porch is painted and when its wet its slipper as hell

and my ankle and knee are no the best considering all the surgeries yuck i hate painted floors

V-Eight
04-05-11, 06:51 PM
How about a nice polished granite..... :yup:

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt80/dawgpics_photos/Miscellaneous/garagefloor.jpg

Fuaaaark! Sick garage!

Ranger
04-05-11, 10:40 PM
I wish I had done mine when it was new, but no money at that time. THAT is the time to do it. Time and salt have taken their toll. It is oil and grease stained and the salt has etched the concrete. It's way too late now, but I just consider the stains as 30 years of hard won battle ribbons.

As mentioned, if it is not new, it needs to be cleaned and acid washed very well. The draw back is that is is very slick when wet.

I would never carpet a daily used garage floor. It will just hold grease, oil, water, coolant, salt etc and eventually mold and stink.

The photo above is not a garage. It's a show room.

hueterm
04-06-11, 12:18 AM
Jim, my friend Bill who was at the meet put down the epoxy in his garage and absolutely loves it. He hasn't mentioned any kind of peeling, or staining, but I can ask him -- and see what kind he used.

thebigjimsho
04-06-11, 01:00 AM
Shweet!

The Tony Show
04-06-11, 09:34 AM
I seriously want to do something with my garage floor, but it's so loaded with crap it would take two days just to empty out, then another two to clean and floor it.

Let us know what you do and poast pics, Jim. :thumbsup:

hueterm
04-06-11, 10:27 AM
Jim, here's what I got from Bill:

Mike,

I used the RUST-OLEUM EPOXY Shield product (pictured below). I liked the idea of the decorative chips to enhance the look. It was a two-part mix, which means you have to have good insulation and once you mix it you have to apply it quickly. These were supposed to last longer and be more durable than the 1-part epoxy products.

The biggest key to application is to make sure you acid wash the concrete with a mild acid wash before you put this stuff on. A mild acid wash will slightly roughen up the concrete to make the bonding much stronger. You have to be careful not to use the acid too strong or let it sit on there or you could pit your floor. But I would not recommend skipping this step, I think it was key.

I did the entire three car garage and I have only really had one small inch round hole pop up towards the door behind where the exhaust comes out of the car. Not sure if I didn’t let it cure long enough when I first put car back in or what but it has not gotten worse over the last three years. As far as discoloration, I have one six-inch round area of slight brown discoloration under one of the cars. It is not oil. Lisa’s car has leaked oil after oil changes, etc. and that wipes right off. In talking with my neighbors they guess that it is probably a stain that was on the original concrete that is “bleeding” through the epoxy after the years. Not sure but I have tried to clean it off to no luck so far.

I would definitely recommend doing it for anybody that wants to improve the look of their garage. It is a one weekend project in the summer. Good ventilation and don’t forget to acid wash the floor with a mild acid.

Let me know if he has other questions.

Bill

dkozloski
04-06-11, 11:32 AM
End grain hardwood is the ultimate shop floor. It withstands all kinds of damage and will last for literally hundreds of years as well as knock your eyes out with the look. There are lots of examples on the web.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CE8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realhardwoodfloors.com%2Fend-grain-block-durable-wood-floors.html&ei=p3qcTYrlIZT6swOEs_CbBA&usg=AFQjCNE_kjpyELEOqOYyMqvNI3rjiRPPyw

thebigjimsho
04-06-11, 12:51 PM
I was discussing this with my father last night. I think we both agree on waiting until later in the spring when things dry out and stay that way. Splitting it up into 2 halves should be easy enough. Either the Rust-o-leum or U-Coat-It seems to be the way to go.

But keep 'em coming!

thebigjimsho
04-06-11, 12:54 PM
End grain hardwood is the ultimate shop floor. It withstands all kinds of damage and will last for literally hundreds of years as well as knock your eyes out with the look. There are lots of examples on the web.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CE8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realhardwoodfloors.com%2Fend-grain-block-durable-wood-floors.html&ei=p3qcTYrlIZT6swOEs_CbBA&usg=AFQjCNE_kjpyELEOqOYyMqvNI3rjiRPPyw
Thanks, Koz. That would definitely be a stunning floor. But like most realtors say, don't overbuild for your neighborhood. My garage is modest, as is my house, as is my neighborhood...

Ranger
04-06-11, 01:37 PM
I seriously want to do something with my garage floor, but it's so loaded with crap it would take two days just to empty out, then another two to clean and floor it.

Let us know what you do and poast pics, Jim. :thumbsup:
That's the other thing that keeps me from even considering it.

Stingroo
04-06-11, 01:46 PM
Those end grain floors look AWESOME. Like holy crap, I had a floorgasm. :rimshot:

Aron9000
04-06-11, 04:04 PM

We have those type of floors in our art gallery. Before the building was repurposed, it was the main post office in Nashville, a large and stunning art deco building from the 1930's. All the exhibition space was where they sorted/stored mail, and it still has those original wood floors. They still look amazing after 80 years and some very heavy use/abuse.

DitkaFan
04-06-11, 05:38 PM
I painted and used the Behr floor paint. It has help up great. I did not acid wash, but the house was brand new... The only think I did was put down a primer which I was told helped the paint bond to the garage floor. I did not have the flecks/chips added in... I wish I had. I am thinking about repainting it this summer to so I could add down the white/gray/black flakes/chips. I think it looks nicer that way.

jayoldschool
04-06-11, 07:04 PM
That sweet garage in in Canada. Near Toronto. It has been featured on Dream Car Garage. He had his in ground lift disassembled and powder coated to match the colour scheme.

Regarding epoxy: if it isn't two part (mix two liquids before use), it isn't real epoxy.

For more garage floor info than you will ever want to learn, check out the flooring section of garagejournal.com/forums

johnny kannapo
04-07-11, 12:19 AM
This was $200. including the pressure washer rental. The year earlier I painted it with floor paint and it was half flaked away come springtime. This time I bought the Rustoleum epoxy/mix w/flecks and its holding up real good this spring, I expected some of the cracks to redevelope but not this year. major scrubb/acid/pressure, I filled all the little cracks with the epoxy crack filler. I invested in a floor squeegee & that floor stays clean now.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/56360741.jpg?t=1302145522

dvandentop
04-07-11, 12:39 AM
yep i did the rustoleum as well from menards stores and it turned out great. be sure to do the clear coat, sure it is a little extra but i think that is the key.