: Need help. Don't want to get ripped off by the dealer. BCM failure?

2004V
04-05-11, 11:38 AM
I was cleaning leaves from the engine and battery area the other day and so I disconnected the battery to remove it so I can clean under it as well. I accidentally grounded the positive battery terminal for a second while removing it and it sparked and after I put the battery back in, the nav screen said "theftlock activated", my airbag light was on, as well as the traction control light on the dash. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, and nothing. I got frustrated with it, so I took it to the dealer this morning and they reset the traction control light, and the theftlock on the nav screen, but said the dash integration module may have been short circuited and it won't allow the airbag light to go off. They want like $250 for the part and $375 to install and program it. Seems ridiculous to me especially since I can buy the part for $50 on Ebay and install it myself in minutes. The only thing I can't do is program it to work with the car. Anybody ever have to do this? is this a dealer only job or is there any cheaper alternative? I really feel like they're ripping me off.

CancerJCC
04-05-11, 01:02 PM
I know what I would do. DIY. And no I have never done this but you may just drive it for a few days and see if the problem goes away. (Some MIL lights have a 3 run cycle with no faults before they go off thing). I don't know if thats the case but doing nothing is certainly easy enough! :)

Stepside
04-05-11, 09:09 PM
So, ask the dealer how much to program it or ask another dealer.

In the future if you ever have to disconnect the battery . .
Always disconnect the Negative terminal 1st. to avoid what happened to you.

Sorry to here that. Good luck with the fix.
Also, if you ever need to weld anything on the car . . Disconnect the battery 1st.

2004V
04-06-11, 11:38 AM
thank you, Stepside for that piece of advice. Total cost came down to about $200 after some research!
I initially thought the charge of $375 was mostly to program it, since it takes no time or effort to get to the BCM, but after calling a different dealer, their charge to program a new one is $89. I can't believe the almost $300 difference is labor to remove two screws and two clips under the glove box. That's all it takes. Took me about 30 seconds to get to it. Also, the BCM (Body Control Module) and the DIM (Dash Integration Module) are the same thing in our cars. I got confused because the dealer called it the DIM, but most everywhere else it is referred to as the BCM. Also, online places like gmpartsdirect have the OEM part for $115 vs $250 at the dealer. You have to buy this part brand new, used will not work because they cannot reprogram it once it is programmed to a certain VIN. The part number in my car is 25750679, but that part is discontinued. The new one is 10391431. Total cost to replace and reprogram it should be about $200, compared to $600+. And it is good advice to always remove the negative terminal first. I knew that, but was in a hurry and careless.
I thought I'd post this up for anyone that has similar problems in the future. The part number is the same for CTS-V, CTS, and SRX (04-07).

evandag
12-05-12, 11:41 PM
i also own a 2004 Cadillac Cts-v and my bcm got wet and and needs to be replaced. i took out the bcm and was wondering do i need to bring my car to the dealer to have it programmed or can i just bring them a new bcm? because my car is currently apart and would be a pain to have it towed.

Thank you

RyRidesMotoX
12-06-12, 12:51 AM
You will need to have the whole car there most of the time. They need to get the Tech 2 on it usually. My buddy had an ECM issue and they needed the whole car there also. Call around to some GM specific mechanics. They might have a Tech 2 and will almost always program it for cheaper.

Cadillac Cust Svc
12-06-12, 11:43 AM
Evandag, I'm sorry to see you're also experiencing BCM concerns. If you would like my assistance contacting your dealer at any point, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. (Including your full name and the last eight of your VIN would be very helpful!)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service