: shuddering clutch, take 2.

e6t
04-05-11, 11:12 AM
Back in the shop... wish me luck.

BeagleBrains
04-05-11, 12:34 PM
I apologize for this.
It sounds like clutch chatter/slippage when engaging the clutch too slowly.
I experience this when taking off from a stop, where traffic prevents my moving forward normally. It shudders when I have to disengage the clutch peddle because I am unable to proceed forward.
99% of the time I release the clutch steadily and fairly rapidly, results in a smooth controlled forward motion.

JFJr
04-05-11, 01:10 PM
I apologize for this.
It sounds like clutch chatter/slippage when engaging the clutch too slowly.
I experience this when taking off from a stop, where traffic prevents my moving forward normally. It shudders when I have to disengage the clutch peddle because I am unable to proceed forward.
99% of the time I release the clutch steadily and fairly rapidly, results in a smooth controlled forward motion.Same here. When slow traffic in front prevents me from using sufficient rpm when engaging the clutch, I experience some "chatter." This has to be a normal characteristic of the V's clutch because we're not driving cars with 4-cylinder engines and more forgiving clutches.

Jud

jrcmlc
04-05-11, 01:12 PM
I very much dislike the engagement/disengagement of my clutch with 1200 miles on it, and have experienced the chatter a couple of times as well as not-nearly-smooth-and-linear transition through the pedal range... I've never had a clutch feel like this, so I suspect something is a little off, just haven't gotten around to complaining about it yet.

Joe

e6t
04-05-11, 02:01 PM
for the first 5000 miles, i told myself it was "normal"... the normalness got worse and worse until it would shake coffee out of a cup. it isnt normal. it is particularly bad in reverse.

when i got the car back after the clutch replacement, it was smooth. a week later, it started back a little... now its gotten worse. i assume that in 2000-3000 more miles it will rattle my brain again.

its not right.

ive driven numerous bmws, mercs, lambos, ferraris, every corvette, mustangs, cobras, porsches, audis and damned near everything out there and have never felt anything like it, other than a car with a bad clutch.

hulksdaddy
04-05-11, 03:59 PM
Good luck with it bud. Hope they get it right for ya.

e6t
04-05-11, 04:18 PM
its been escalated. im nearing the point of not wanting this car anymore. im afraid after its been gutted several times, it will never be right.

i bought this car planning to keep it forever and i dont feel comfortable that it wont fall apart down the road.

its a shame. i love the car and could have easily been a convert.

hulksdaddy
04-05-11, 04:24 PM
I hear ya. Wish I loved mine, but hasn't treated me right yet. First one was replaced by Cadillac after a vibration had them replace the driveshaft, rearend and tranny. Now, the replacement's at the dealer, with a vibration, and they haven't located the cause yet. Been in touch with the district manager. If something big needs to be replaced, we'll go from there. Have to decide if three times the charm, or three strikes and you're out.

Caddy Wagon
04-05-11, 04:28 PM
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on mine once I get it.

e6t
04-05-11, 04:31 PM
worst thing is that ive got a wagon loaner and its as smooth as butter. no squeaks, no rattles, no nothing.

i think i got a bad example.

Caddy Wagon
04-05-11, 04:38 PM
Is the loaner a stick ?

hulksdaddy
04-05-11, 04:49 PM
I've got a DTS loaner. Like driving a big old, comfy couch. Kinda like it! :D

e6t
04-05-11, 06:12 PM
Is the loaner a stick ?

No.

I was supposed to have a dts as well, but they brought around the wagon and I didn't have time for them to get me a different car.

I may go back to get the dts, but I'm glad I've got this car. At least I know that all cts' aren't POS.

NROTIK
04-05-11, 07:24 PM
Hulks.. Good luck.. My coupe auto was built the 7th of march and other than a lot of stone chips.. I have no problems and I am very very picky!!!!

gOt BoOsT
04-05-11, 07:56 PM
hopefully they re-surfaced or replaced the flywheel. if they didnt that could be the problem...

e6t
04-05-11, 10:43 PM
hopefully they re-surfaced or replaced the flywheel. if they didnt that could be the problem...

The buffed it or polished it or something... I'm thinking warped flywheel... We'll see...

GMX322V S/C
04-06-11, 02:23 AM
Dang, I feel for you guys with shuddering clutches. I got to drive a stick at the V-Series Academy last year and as you can imagine, that poor beast had been flogged mercilessly. There was pretty bad shudder while creeping (as you would in heavy traffic) to the drag strip starting line, so I just began to drive it more aggresively--blipping the throttle and then engaging it more firmly, etc. Not how I would want to drive it every day.

However, it did seem to continue to respond well to this more aggressive style of use. For the drag launch, I held revs at about 1,500 RPM and didn't quite dump it, but held for about a half-count right at the engagement point and only floored it after she was fully engaged. I then no-lift shifted into 2nd. Pretty awesome rush.

I got to do this twice and there was no muss, no fuss. She wasn't notchy going into 2nd, didn't grind, no burning friction materials smell, etc.

It's a tall order to serve so many masters: power vs. mass vs. smoothness vs. ease of operation vs. cost, etc.

Razorecko
04-06-11, 09:20 AM
Yep, to drive the stick smoothly you do have to be a little bit harder on it

e6t
04-06-11, 09:47 AM
Yep, to drive the stick smoothly you do have to be a little bit harder on it

when you drive it harder, it doesnt shudder. BUT i dont want to sound like Big Daddy Don when dropping my kid off at school in the morning.

IF this is the way the car is supposed to be, I dont want it. It sucks and is unlike anything I have ever driven. If there was a disclaimer on the sticker that said impossible to drive smoothly at slow speeds, I'd have passed.

what to do what to do... a shuddering clutch or the slushbox out of a tahoe... tuff call.

hulksdaddy
04-06-11, 09:52 AM
when you drive it harder, it doesnt shudder. BUT i dont want to sound like Big Daddy Don when dropping my kid off at school in the morning.

IF this is the way the car is supposed to be, I dont want it. It sucks and is unlike anything I have ever driven. If there was a disclaimer on the sticker that said impossible to drive smoothly at slow speeds, I'd have passed.

what to do what to do... a shuddering clutch or the vibrating slushbox out of a tahoe... tuff call.

Fixed!

GMX322V S/C
04-06-11, 10:39 AM
when you drive it harder, it doesnt shudder. BUT i dont want to sound like Big Daddy Don when dropping my kid off at school in the morning.I share your sentiments...and would agonize over it as you are as well. In my case, I did my agonizing for two weeks before I placed my order... I hope a complete clutch and flywheel replacement (and proper bedding of course) fixes your problem for good. Best of luck.

Razorecko
04-06-11, 10:52 AM
I wonder if an aftermarket clutch would fix the issue. McLeod makes an aftermarket clutch for us thats supposed to be good to 1000hp , pretty much as stout as the tranny

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-11-CADILLAC-CTS-V-SC-McLEOD-RXT-TWIN-DISC-CLUTCH-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1559a2e0QQitemZ12061 7280224QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

jrcmlc
04-06-11, 12:16 PM
I had a custom-made centerforce kevlar/copper clutch in my race car for years. It held over 1k rwhp and drove like the nicest clutch you could imagine. It was a single disc setup also.

I have driven almost everything under the sun, modified, race, stock, etc from all different brands and I completely concur with what the OP is saying...nothing has ever been like this, so I assume something is wrong.

Joe

cdog533
04-06-11, 02:44 PM
I wonder if an aftermarket clutch would fix the issue. McLeod makes an aftermarket clutch for us thats supposed to be good to 1000hp , pretty much as stout as the tranny

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-11-CADILLAC-CTS-V-SC-McLEOD-RXT-TWIN-DISC-CLUTCH-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1559a2e0QQitemZ12061 7280224QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Yeah, that was getting to be my thought as well. If the stock clutch is malfunctioning, or you just hate the feel, take a look at an aftermarket clutch and possibly a new flywheel. That would take care of it for sure. Will the new Corvette clutches work?

One other thing: If the new clutch worked good for a while, but is now sucky, is something getting on it? Like oil from a leak/seal? That will make clutches act odd. Maybe it took it a while to accumulate enough to make it go bad again. If the clutch housing is dripping oil, I think you'd see that though.

jrcmlc
04-06-11, 04:07 PM
I can't speak for the OP, but mine did seem to suck less when it left the dealership than it does now, 1200 miles later.

Joe

e6t
04-06-11, 04:21 PM
the wagon i have is twice the car my V is. sad. no rattles, no noises... rock solid at 25,000 miles.

JFJr
04-06-11, 05:14 PM
Yep, to drive the stick smoothly you do have to be a little bit harder on itAlso, with the "V" I find that if you "lead" clutch engagement in 1st gear with a little rpm just before it engages, it will be very smooth.

Jud

e6t
04-07-11, 07:53 PM
Got a voice mail today that my car was ready. I calld back the SA to listen to what they did before driving all the way to the dealer. No mention of the clutch. I asked what they found and he said they "couldnt duplicate" the shudder.

Summarily dismissed. Just like that.

I about lost my mind right then.

Caddy Wagon
04-09-11, 11:54 PM
If I have any clutch issues, I am going to get one of these and not look back. The kit comes with a new flywheel and dual disc clutch, and is good for 1000HP. You can also get the RST version, which I believe is good for about 800HP, but the don't recommend it for use with a drag radial (although I have read some reviews of the RST from other users that say it works awesome at the track with no issues, and the pedal is lighter than stock with good feeling engagement.)

Mcleod RXT Street Twin Assembly w/ Steel Billet Flywheel (2009-2010 CTS-V)
part number 64058-00-07M

http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/RXT+Twin+Disc.mcl

You can find them for $1100 or cheaper.