: Getting about time for new tires

torogt
04-05-11, 09:15 AM
Its about time for new tires but I can't decide on putting 235/50/18 frt 255/45/18 rear or same size all around. Have been looking at continental DWS or Kumho Ecsta LX or ASX, leaning more toward the DWS but the 235/50 are on back order. So far tire rack has the best price, any opinions out there?:hmm:

hazcaddy
04-05-11, 09:36 AM
I was in the same boat, and spent a bit of time over the winter researching the Conti DWS vs. Michelin Pilot AS Plus. Looked at some head-to-head reviews, and the Contis came out looking good in just about all of them. If I had kept my STS, I would have gone with them.

SlickCityStan
04-05-11, 11:29 AM
As far as size is concerned Why not go with the sizes that are on the door sticker. I'm running on Toyo Versadas with no complaints, but the Continentals have the most positive feedback from more owners. I think the staggered tire size is more of a marketing ploy than actually having any real advantage in driveability so going same size around wouldn't and shouldn't present any problems.

EChas3
04-05-11, 09:28 PM
I've had 4 235/50R18 DWS for more than a year (15k miles) and am very happy. I know from personal experience how much rotating tires extends tire life. My 1SG rides better with less noise than the OEM Michelins (MRC & AWD make for a firm ride). I don't notice any negatives from no stagger.

Saila22
04-05-11, 11:59 PM
Went with the DWS here in snowy Michigan and have been VERY satisifed! Getting ready to switch back to my summer set-up with Bridgestones riding on the Vogue's!!

chazglenn3
04-06-11, 01:08 AM
Aren't Bridgestones and Vogues both tires???

caddyfat2
04-06-11, 09:38 AM
Aren't Bridgestones and Vogues both tires???

Vogue also has a great line of Cadillac rims.

Jesda
04-06-11, 04:50 PM
I installed a set of Continental DWS on my Volvo S60 and found them to be impressive in rain storms and very smooth and quiet.

KRSTS
04-06-11, 05:18 PM
I'm still a fan of Michelin but the OEM's on my STS were absolute crap.:ill:

chazglenn3
04-06-11, 08:13 PM
Vogue also has a great line of Cadillac rims.

I learn something new every day...thanks!

Frikiton
04-07-11, 12:06 AM
I also was in your same shoes and thanks to EChas3 help I went 235/50R18 all around not only because I found someone on craigslist with the DWS with 80% tread and it was only for $300. I was having a hard time finding that size everywhere since its been out of stock nationwide but I found 2 websites that might have it.

torogt
04-07-11, 12:37 AM
What I can't understand is why the use of the different sizes front and rear from the factory, especially on the AWD. On my old muscle cars we always put wider tires on the back for more traction and for looks but i just can't figure why put different size front and rear on a AWD car with 8in. wide rims front and rear. I think I'll just buy 235/50/18 cont DWS's and put them all the way around and call it good! Unless there's some GM engineer out there that can tell me why they did it and what the advantage is.

Frikiton
04-07-11, 08:39 AM
What I can't understand is why the use of the different sizes front and rear from the factory, especially on the AWD. On my old muscle cars we always put wider tires on the back for more traction and for looks but i just can't figure why put different size front and rear on a AWD car with 8in. wide rims front and rear. I think I'll just buy 235/50/18 cont DWS's and put them all the way around and call it good! Unless there's some GM engineer out there that can tell me why they did it and what the advantage is.

Supposely Cadillac's rear wider are for better traction as well since it is a heavy car.