: Struts are shocks, and shocks not covered by GMPP???

DRBLING
04-05-11, 08:41 AM
O/k, bought an 08 ESV with 46,750 miles, now has 47,750.

Have dealer check shaking steering wheel, says struts are leaking.

Then says, you need new struts, but they are called shocks by GMPP, and shocks are not covered in the GMPP warranty.

The original 50,000 mile warranty is replaced by the new GMPP plan. :banghead:

Can this be?

darhef
04-05-11, 09:11 AM
What's the difference from the old protection plan and the new GMPP? Are they not honouring the 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper?

hcvone
04-05-11, 09:31 AM
I thought the extended warranty took over after the standard warranty ran out, you still have your standard warranty

DRBLING
04-05-11, 10:30 AM
I thought the extended warranty took over after the standard warranty ran out, you still have your standard warranty

Dealer says GMPP takes over at time of sale, so original 50k warranty is gone. Dealer General Manager is being asked today if they can help me out here.

GMPP covers struts, but they call them shocks, and shocks are not covered. Can you beleive this? !!

2007XTSDub
04-05-11, 11:09 AM
Yup I went through this with my rear shocks not being covered. Compressor for self level was covered but shocks were not.

Sent from Android.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-05-11, 11:17 AM
Thats interesting, that the GMPP warranty takes over at time of purchase...

RippyPartsDept
04-05-11, 11:40 AM
Escalade does not have struts... it has shocks.

also, the bumper to bumper should cover this... try another dealer (at least calling to confirm what this dealer is telling you) before getting too upset about this

DRBLING
04-05-11, 12:11 PM
Escalade does not have struts... it has shocks.

also, the bumper to bumper should cover this... try another dealer (at least calling to confirm what this dealer is telling you) before getting too upset about this

I thought the Escalade ESV front had struts. Dealer said the front struts were leaking. But said needs new shocks, because GMPP calls the front struts shocks. ???????

RippyPartsDept
04-05-11, 01:07 PM
My parts catalog calls them shock absorbers.

the main difference (as I understand it) is that struts will support the vehicle's weight and because of that there is no upper control arm (and upper ball joint).

either way i don't see why shocks wouldn't be covered but struts would be covered... and by GMPP no less... maybe it's time to try a different dealer?

emseedee
04-05-11, 02:14 PM
A month ago, I bought an '07 ESV. I called GM directly and they volunteered the information that I still had bumper to bumper coverage. I also bought an aftermarket extended warranty. I have already had a replacement door handle under bumper to bumper.

darhef
04-05-11, 02:26 PM
Yup I went through this with my rear shocks not being covered. Compressor for self level was covered but shocks were not.

Sent from Android.

Did you get your compressor replaced under bumper to bumper, or extended warranty?

RippyPartsDept
04-05-11, 02:39 PM
Yeah the GMPP has to be purchased before your B2B runs out but the B2B still takes care of you up until it runs out

2007XTSDub
04-05-11, 06:25 PM
I got it covered with extended. They would not cover the rear shocks.

Sent from Android.

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 06:45 PM
The bumper to bumper original warranty doesn't just fly off into the sunset somewhere just because you buy a GMPP. These coverages follow the vehicle NO MATTER what. Find another dealer, this one sucks ass.

evois
04-05-11, 08:25 PM
the gmpp takes over once you buy it even before warranty expires. that is why my local dealer advised me to wait until it is only less than 10 miles before expiring to purchase the gmpp. but, I don't know why struts or shocks are not covered. how much did you pay for gmpp?

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 09:14 PM
That can not possibly be correct. GMPP is OPTIONAL coverage sold through GM. If a dealership pulls up any GM car on GM VIS, they will see a complete list of warranty items that were or are active on a given vehicle. There is a separate field for extended service plans that says "YES" or "NO". Multiple warranties can run concurrently... For example, emissions runs concurrently with Bumper to Bumper, even though some of the same parts are covered. Your original new vehicle warranty is a contract between you and GM, so not covering a part during that warranty period, just because you bought GMPP, would seem to be a breach of contract. The reason a dealer would tell you to wait until you are a few miles til the expiration of the original factory warranty is because your GMPP warranty period runs from the date of contract through the end of the time you specify. There's no reason to double up coverage a year before the end of your factory warranty because you are going to lose a year of GMPP by doing so.

RippyPartsDept
04-05-11, 10:55 PM
all good stuff there ^^^

they do charge more the later you wait to sign up for it though (i think)

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 11:36 PM
I should probably also add that I'm not guaranteeing that the original B2B necessarily covers shocks either. I know brakes for example, and tires, aren't considered warrantable items typically, but many dealers will help you out with those within the first 15-25k miles out of dealer courtesy. What I am saying is that if they WERE covered, you shouldn't be able to DELETE that coverage just because you bought a GMPP.

DRBLING
04-06-11, 03:10 PM
Well, progress on this issue I think. I called Cadillac Customer Service, they gave me a case # and said they understood my points, said they would call the dealer and work on a solution.

But get this. The girl on the phone tells me I am talking to her in Argentina. But, very friendly & helpful, gave me the impression Cadillac knows of leaking struts and something should be done for the customer.

2007caddy
04-06-11, 10:05 PM
They are not covered, it's states so in GMPP contract....I was sold one and was told it was the same coverage of the bumper-to-bumper from a GM/Cadillac dealer that was being shut down by the GM cuts in 2009...didn't read the fine print until I replaced my transmission coolant lines at $600, argued my case with GM customer service and they offered me 50% off (couldn't argue with the dealer I purchased it from because they shut down)....I paid almost $3500 for the GMPP in 09 long before my bumper-to-bumper expired....if I would read the " what is not covered " section I wouldn't have purchased it....it could end costing you over 6k when you add up all the cost that are not covered....

RippyPartsDept
04-07-11, 01:45 AM
seems like a critical section of the warranty terms to not read

txlaw2002
04-08-11, 01:29 AM
[QUOTE=DRBLING;2550621]Dealer says GMPP takes over at time of sale, so original 50k warranty is gone. Dealer General Manager is being asked today if they can help me out here.

This is bullshit. Your factory warranty still applies. Talk to the GM and call GM and complain. Somewhere within the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, this is addressed.

CRL1
04-08-11, 10:48 AM
From page 2 of the Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty Booklet.

"Up to 6 years or 100,000 miles(whichever occurs first)"
"From the original in-service date. Effective upon expiration of the
New Vehicle Limited Warranty"

This booklet is found online at

http://www.cadillac.com/assets/en/pdf/tools/cpo/benefits/privileges/Certified+Pre-owned+Warranty.pdf

Neither shocks or struts are listed in the coverages.

RippyPartsDept
04-08-11, 11:55 AM
well there you have it

although i asked one of my senior techs and he said that they should be covered

DRBLING
04-08-11, 01:35 PM
I checked the GMPP web site, lists struts as covered, shocks not covered.

A 2 wd Escalade has front shocks, a 4 wd has front struts. I have a 4 wd Escalade.

I told this to Cadillac Cust. Service, plus I am not yet at the 50 k mile mark, Caddy should cover this anyway as it is a common problem.

Caddy Cust. Service said they would get back to me in a day or two with an answer.

DRBLING
04-08-11, 02:44 PM
Good news. My salesman at the dealership just called, "Don't worry, the struts are being taken care of, no cost, sorry for the issue".

chris12
05-17-11, 11:20 PM
I just got word from my dealer today that one of my front struts is leaking on my '07 esv. They recommend that i have both fronts replaced and want ~$1200 to do it. (The truck was purchased in November 2006, so I'm out of warranty.)

My vehicle currently has 39,xxx miles and I think it is rediculous that the struts have already failed. I would like to contact gm as it sounds like this is a common issue.

If I was to write a letter where and whom would I address it to?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-20-11, 04:05 PM
If you wanted to write a letter specifically you could send it to: General Motors Company P.O.Box 33170 Detroit,MI 48232-5170. You could also get into contact with our Customer Assistance team as well and get in contact that way. You could simply send me your name, address and phone number and I'll get you all setup as well if you'd like.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

chris12
05-20-11, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff.

I'm going to voice my concerns one last time to my dealer next week before I go over their head. If they can't help me I'll contact you via pm. Would you mind posting your email?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-11, 01:15 PM
I got your message. Thank you for sending me your information.

chris12
05-30-11, 01:05 PM
I got your message. Thank you for sending me your information.

What happens from here with my claim? Will GM contact me?

I sent you a few PM's but I'm not sure if you are getting them..