: My 08 escalade nav screen went blank, need help!

08cadi
04-05-11, 02:51 AM
I have an 08 escalade, i was putting my car into reverse and my nav screen went to the back up camera and then blanked out. my car is out of warranty, so im trying to fix it before i have to take it in to the dealers. i was wondering if a updated nav disc will solve this problem? Thanks in advance. Kenny.

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 03:48 AM
Is the screen completely black, as in it doesn't look like it's on at all? Or does it boot up and then go to a blank screen that gives an error message? Nav disc shouldn't have anything to do with that. Try pulling the radio fuse for 10 minutes and then replacing it. It should come back after that. If that doesn't work you may need to physically disconnect the radio completely for 10 minutes or so. If all else fails, you may have to take it in.

08cadi
04-05-11, 03:58 AM
thanks playdrv4me, yes, the screen is completely black / blank. i can still take the nav disc in and out, same with the cd changer.

Zhariak
04-05-11, 08:39 AM
This happens to me all the time... It's annoying and a pain in the ass.

Usually all I have to do is turn the car off, open the door, let it sit for 10-15, and then restart it and it will work.

Occasionally though, this happens and the unit is pooched. I've had my NAV replaced 2-3 times because of this happening.

This was 1 of 6 main reasons why I purchased the extended warranty. Goodluck bro

PreachRR
04-05-11, 10:54 AM
Yea I had this happen once but what I saw was that the shifter made it go away.. It was like the feature that puts it in reverse camera mode got stuck and since it wasn't in reverse the camera was off.. once I put it in park it came right back on .. so that was my situation and it works fine now.. When you put it in reverse does the back up camera come on. If so then I don't think its your nav screen.. I think it is that switch in the shifter.. if that is the case try moving the shifter around a bit and see if that restores your screen Good luck..

tonygxp
04-05-11, 05:19 PM
try the dimmer switch. had my '10 Denali do this to me and i tweaked the dimmer back and forth and it came back.

08cadi
04-05-11, 06:29 PM
i found this... TECHNICAL Bulletin No.: 08-08-44-013A Date: September 10, 2008

Subject: Navigation Radio Intermittent Blank/Black Screen, Map Disc Read Errors, Features Not Accessible While Driving, Navigation Radio Resets Upon Start-up (Update Navigation Radio Software)

Models:
2006-2009 Buick Lucerne
2008-2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2009 Chevrolet Equinox
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2008-2009 GMC Acadia
2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent
2008-2009 Saturn OUTLOOK, VUE

with Navigation Radio (RPOs U3R, UZR, U3U, UVB)

Attention: This bulletin applies to vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada only.

Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add information to step #3 of both procedures (in italics). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-44-013 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition: Some customers may comment of any of the following conditions:

^ The Navigation Radio display intermittently goes blank or turns black/off after switching video sources. This most commonly occurs when the shift lever is transitioned from PARK to REVERSE to DRIVE (or vice versa). Other possibilities include switching to DVD movie or Rear AUX (if equipped).

^ The Navigation Radio screen may intermittently freeze, lock up or display "MAP DVD Read Error" messages.

^ Some features may not be accessible while driving. This includes scrolling lists, address book and navigation related entries (i.e. entering a destination).

^ The Navigation Radio, upon start-up, will continue to display the vehicle logo repeatedly. This condition occurs when the vehicle language has been changed, using the Driver Information Center (DIC), in the previous ignition cycle.

Cause: These conditions may be caused by software anomalies.

Navigation Radio Software Update For All Other Vehicles

1. Start the engine, with the gear shift in PARK, wait until the audio or navigation screen is displayed after the opening screen (you may have the press the OK button on the Caution screen).

2. Proceed to the FM audio screen and confirm the current navigation software version by pressing the MENU and SEEK UP (1) buttons simultaneously. If the screen switches, select FM to display the software version. Performing this operation may take a couple of attempts for the radio to detect the simultaneous button press. Refer to the illustration above, which shows the two buttons that need to be pressed. The navigation software version is the first four characters, reading from the left, located in the middle of the screen.

3. If the navigation software version is 101B or 100F, the radio has the latest navigation software available and no update is necessary. However, if the string of letters across the screen are NON-ASCII letters, this indicates an internal communication problem with the RADIO. Refer to the Diagnostic Starting Point-Cellular, Entertainment, and Navigation procedure to begin the diagnosis of the customer concern. For all other navigation software versions proceed to step four to continue the software update.

08cadi
04-05-11, 06:31 PM
am i suppose to find software disc or find someone with a tech2? to do this software update?

08cadi
04-16-11, 02:55 AM
so turned out that the nav unit was bad. i had a shop plug into it and the unit was not responding. so i had to get a new nav from ebay. everything is back to normal, after spending 1k.

hannity
04-16-11, 10:49 AM
08cadi, I'm glad it was just a software update.

Umar Imtiaz
07-06-11, 06:29 PM
If I buy a new nav screen/cd/dvd unit on ebay for my 2007 escalade. Can I just install it or do I need to take it to my dealer to have some programming done. I have seen some head units going for 700 to 1000 dollars.

thanks

Umar

Punmax
07-08-11, 10:19 PM
If I buy a new nav screen/cd/dvd unit on ebay for my 2007 escalade. Can I just install it or do I need to take it to my dealer to have some programming done. I have seen some head units going for 700 to 1000 dollars.

thanks

Umar

You can install it yourself (very easy), but the dealer will need to unlock the unit and program it to your VIN.

toygar
01-15-13, 06:40 AM
i know its an old topic but there are none new pointing this problem.here is a link to a hummer3 forum with a possible fix unless its the circuit board malfunction
http://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/flickering-nav-screen-update-26219/

Nice Ride
01-15-13, 08:41 AM
I have an 09 ESV Plat, it happened to me twice so far. 45k on truck. Screen is totally blank, no DVD movement, no clock or lights, hitting buttons or screen does nothing. Shut truck off, then restarted, fixed problem. Took video to show dealer, you know when you go, the problem is not happening and they sen you on your merry way.

toygar
01-15-13, 08:56 AM
I have an 09 ESV Plat, it happened to me twice so far. 45k on truck. Screen is totally blank, no DVD movement, no clock or lights, hitting buttons or screen does nothing. Shut truck off, then restarted, fixed problem. Took video to show dealer, you know when you go, the problem is not happening and they sen you on your merry way.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/heavychevy396/2011-01-06_134508_2004_cadillac_srx_no_cd_eject_2.pdf
might wanna read through this and i think you'll see that it is suggested that the dealer replace the unit with a new one when there is a problem of it going blank unless i'm mistaken.

it says this "When does the black screen occur? Immediately upon startup? When going into or out of Reverse gear? While driving? Is the concern repeatable? If yes, remove and replace the radio. Did Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-44-013 Navigation Radio Intermittent Blank/Black Screen, Map Disc Read Errors, Features Not Accessible While Driving, Navigation Radio Resets Upon Startup (Update Navigation Radio Software) change the condition?"

2008ext
02-01-13, 08:11 AM
I have a similar problem, my backup lights quit working and the rear view camara is not working on my '08 EXT.
The screen displays; service rearview camara. Any help I would appreciate

Kaz