: 1991 Brougham Side Molding - Remove to Clean Under It?

Brougham1990
04-04-11, 10:39 PM
I was waxing my 1991 Brougham today and it occurred to me that the paint under the side moldings must be pretty dirty and may be starting to rust without my knowledge.

I know that the clips that hold the molding on are somewhat fragile. Is it worth it to remove the molding and clean/inspect the lower half of the doors or should I just keep my fingers crossed that nothing bad is going on out of sight/out of mind...

There is no rust anywhere on the car at the moment and it is always garaged. I'm just a bit paranoid that a problem is lurking...

csbuckn
04-04-11, 10:44 PM
I gotta admit, I would LOVE to know how those come off. Off to youtube...

cadillac_al
04-04-11, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't do it. They are too finicky to get on perfectly. One of mine fell off my Deville last year and the paint was still nice underneath; just dusty. I usually just try to run a lot of water through there and call it good. It's not an impossible job but not worth the aggravation IMO.

csbuckn
04-04-11, 11:37 PM
This is the best I got from a search:

On the 90-92 fleetwoods, you have to open the doors and take off the 4 round headed nuts
They're weird looking nuts. I think there 13mm, I dont remember.
Theres 4 per door, 2 on each end
once they are off you, you have to either pull up or down on the stainless molding and it will pop off. Once thats off, pull the bottom out on the plastic molding then pull up! Its simple.
The fender and rear stainless moldings will have screws that need to be removed then pull up or down, the same as the doors.

robb257731
04-05-11, 08:59 AM
I've done this on both the bro-hams.....if there's no signs of rust at the belt line or the bottoms of the door, just leave it alone. CSbuckn is right on the procedure. That being said, the clips will be extremely brittle. I was very, very careful taking the trim off, and they snapped like crazy. Putting it back on was even worse, and I ended up scouring ebay to find 'new' clips. Once I got them, some of them still snapped when I was putting the trim back on. Nobody's got the bloody things....when I took the one car to get paint quotes, the shops all said that was an issue and they'd have to rig up their own clips.

mjs182004
04-05-11, 08:55 PM
I just went through this and didn't break one clip! although those round nuts all snapped off and now I have no idea what to do with them. the molding will stay on without those but they tend to move some when opening the doors.

intragration
04-07-11, 02:00 PM
My feeling would be, if I couldn't see rust bubbling from around the edges of the trim, I wouldn't worry about it. You could damage the retainers and find that there was no problem. If you DO start to see hints of a problem, you can take the trim off and repair it. In the case of areas hidden by trim, the repair doesn't have to be beautiful, just functional.