: Wind noise do it yourself fix!!!!!

balladw
04-04-11, 10:36 PM
Okay, I found the source of the main leak for most escalades, and ext's. I have a buddy that did it to his, a week after he picked it up in 07, and his is a early build. If your noise is coming from the window/ mirror area on your truck, I have a solution. Go to your local glass shop and pickup some black window urethane.... And I will take pics tomorrow. I did a small test before the actually glueing with stuffing foam in, and it completely solved my problem. I am going to be glueing it tomorrow for a permanent fix.

Big Windy Ext
04-05-11, 08:50 AM
You may have found one of the sources ,but there are many causes . I had at least 3 "fixes" each reduced the noise until the last one , broken window frame trim . Thanks for pointing out one you found . There is a sticky up top that you may want to put your info in , kind of a one stop wind noise post .

2007caddy
04-05-11, 08:54 AM
Awaiting the pics of your success story

Mha
04-05-11, 12:16 PM
Im in for pics, it may not be a total fix but it 1 step closer

purduecmpe
04-05-11, 12:48 PM
Pics puuuuuhhhhhleeeese!

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 06:41 PM
Picaroos...

balladw
04-05-11, 08:46 PM
Wow. I got my escalade I wanted. Quiet as can be. You don't understand how happy I am. I ended up glueing all 4 windows. Wow. I will post some pics soon. They are on the camera.

sparsons79
04-05-11, 10:17 PM
My wind noise is coming from the passenger window. If I mess with it by not keeping it all the way up in the window tract it's not as bad. Anyone else have this problem and/or have a fix for it.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-05-11, 10:49 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/JohnnyCharger1968/Emoticons/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

2007caddy
04-05-11, 11:17 PM
Second that

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 11:38 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/JohnnyCharger1968/Emoticons/ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

Thank you!

TexFinn
04-08-11, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the teaser... :annoyed: Now would be a really good time to see the pics. :suspect:

Playdrv4me
04-08-11, 05:45 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg

balladw
04-09-11, 03:50 AM
I'm in between phones, I will put them up shortly, sorry for the delay

hannity
04-09-11, 11:26 PM
Wind noise is one issue I'm not having, but I'll hang around for pics.

Nixin
04-10-11, 01:51 PM
Balladw, come on already!!! You are killing me. Borrow a digital camera and post some images.

franknitty69
04-12-11, 12:16 PM
really? 2011 and no camera phone, digital camera, web cam?

TexFinn
04-12-11, 10:54 PM
really? 2011 and no camera phone, digital camera, web cam?

Looks like he has at least the first two. :thumbsup:

Wow. I got my escalade I wanted. Quiet as can be. You don't understand how happy I am. I ended up glueing all 4 windows. Wow. I will post some pics soon. They are on the camera.

I'm in between phones, I will put them up shortly, sorry for the delay

:suspect:

balladw
04-14-11, 03:22 AM
Give me a break.... I will put them on tomorrow morning, I have to sync my iPhone to the comp and then upload the pictures....in the morning and believe me, it's worth the wait.

Nixin
04-14-11, 09:04 PM
You forgot to mention, which morning? Tomorrow, Saturday or yesterday???

Punmax
04-14-11, 09:53 PM
Ignore these dumb-asses, OP.

I'm waiting for the pictures! :)

Nixin
04-14-11, 11:51 PM
The only 'dumb-ass' here is...(please look in the mirror)

Playdrv4me
04-15-11, 12:23 AM
This is starting to sound about as imaginary as that ESV ride difference thread... :histeric:

2007XTSDub
04-15-11, 09:53 AM
Lol

Sent from Android.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-15-11, 01:07 PM
And I will take pics tomorrow.

11 days ago... Punmax how is anyone whom comments about wanted to see the phantom pics a dumbass?

SxS
04-15-11, 04:30 PM
Looking forward to viewing some pictures for this window wind noise fix

comonroots
04-15-11, 11:30 PM
Yall gonna scare the poor kid away.

comonroots
04-24-11, 03:16 AM
Lol. See...scared away.

JMAC

balladw
04-29-11, 04:52 AM
Okay, i finally have the pics. sorry for the wait. So.

I am not sure how many wind noises you have all fixed, but this made my truck so quiet, i wouldn't even try another because there is no noise at all, but in mind my truck already has the mirror foam fix.

1. Pull the plastic trim piece off of the door frame, if you pull on it it will pop out of the clips or the clips will come off, (easy to get back on). Start on closest to the front of the truck. Start on the drivers door.

2. Look at the seal in between the metal on the door and the window seal, and it should be separated somewhere by the mirror area.

3. Get your glue and fill the whole gap between the metal and the window seal all the way around (from bottom of seal around to the other side), with windshield urethane, just the stuff in the tube you can get from any glass shop.

4. Repeat on all four doors.

5. Put trim back on and don't drive truck for at least 4 hours.

balladw
04-29-11, 05:06 AM
Well i had to put them on photo bucket because it wouldn't let me upload them.

Here is the Link,

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/

DancingPaul
04-29-11, 09:31 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try this tonight

bstiffmanofsteel
04-29-11, 10:57 AM
He does exist... I too will look into this!

balladw
04-29-11, 11:45 AM
In one of the pictures this is the actual gm stripping i pulled out, it was totally separated in this area, cut it and then glued around the whole seal.

48Dodge
04-29-11, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure I'm affected by the wind noise in my '08. It's not quiet like a Lexus at 75mph, but it's much quieter than my '02 Tahoe, so I don't know what to compare it to. I notice some wind noise, but probably wouldn't have realized it was a problem if I hadn't read about it on the forum. I pulled my trim off and took a look and there's already foam in that joint from the factory. Probably half an inch in on that gap. I may squirt some poly in there anyway since there may be gaps.

balladw
04-29-11, 12:31 PM
And that foam separates from the door and and air leaks in, on both my passenger and drivers doors were separated.

StevieT
04-29-11, 02:12 PM
Use the code:

[IMG]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/IMG_1960.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/IMG_1959.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/IMG_1958.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/IMG_1957.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/IMG_1955.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/balladw/IMG_1954.jpg

purduecmpe
04-29-11, 04:04 PM
Get out the duct tape and bailing wire! More GM/Cadillac design flaws customers are left to fix. :bonkers:

purduecmpe
04-29-11, 11:43 PM
Well before the pics I thought you might be a troll... Even after the pics, I had my doubts... (Could cadillac design really be this bad?) When I got home I pulled the trim as instructed... Low and behold there was some pulling away of the window seal from the metal frame!!! With the frame off I took her out for a test... At 75mph there was my annoying friend the wind noise! I placed my finger in the area where it was pulling away and... SILENCE!!! Accelerated to 85 with my finger in place and... SILENCE!!! Removed my finger and WIND NOISE! Picked up a tube of urethane, applied as directed, and now the most annoying bug in the 07 Escalade design is fixed! The urethane is messy, but it works! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PICS AND INSTRUCTIONS! If you ever find yourself in Austin, TX beer is on me!

And if anyone from Cadillac or GM is reading this: Here is a big F U! Your dealers are selling defective designs and your service departments are refusing to fix them...

Nixin
04-30-11, 03:07 PM
balladw, thanks for (FINALLY) posting the images and instructions. I didn't mean to bust your chop's, just having a bit of fun! I have yet to get out there and do the fix but it I am certain it will happen shortly. Cheers to you!!!

sparsons79
05-09-11, 09:58 PM
This is awesome...going to do it this weekend!!!

What kind of glue did you use?

Thanks again!!!

In one of the pictures this is the actual gm stripping i pulled out, it was totally separated in this area, cut it and then glued around the whole seal.

apathy96
05-17-11, 07:16 PM
I glued mine just now, excited to see if it fixes the noise in the morning.

Dobiesdaddy
05-17-11, 08:00 PM
Most people just have the problem on the drivers side?

There's no noise on my passengers side at all.

48Dodge
06-16-11, 01:27 PM
Just sealed mine up with black poly from Lowes. It's still curing so I haven't had it out to test.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Dif
06-19-11, 12:16 PM

71Dragtruck
08-11-11, 01:59 AM
Can someone who has done this take some clear pictures of where the urethane was applied?

I pretty sure I know where, just want to be 100% clear before I start.

DTEK01
08-12-11, 02:22 AM
Also to the ones who did it and were going to se if it worked....did it??

McGowansix
08-15-11, 02:13 AM
Thanks for posting pictures and a hopefully a good solution. I have an 07 ESV and I've experienced this, too.

McGowansix
08-15-11, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the photo link...

apathy96
08-23-11, 12:00 AM
Yea didn't help mine at all. I would also like to see some clearer pictures. I am not quite sure I put the urethane in the correct spot.

TooSteele
01-20-12, 01:23 AM
What do you mean by glueing all four windows.....DOes the windows still retract? and what have you glued them with?

raiders4u2nv
08-27-12, 11:31 PM
Okay, I found the source of the main leak for most escalades, and ext's. I have a buddy that did it to his, a week after he picked it up in 07, and his is a early build. If your noise is coming from the window/ mirror area on your truck, I have a solution. Go to your local glass shop and pickup some black window urethane.... And I will take pics tomorrow. I did a small test before the actually glueing with stuffing foam in, and it completely solved my problem. I am going to be glueing it tomorrow for a permanent fix.

This really works! Just got a 2007 and both sides sounded like a wind tunnel. Glued where the foam was coming out and no more wind noise at all. I took soom extra foam and stuffed it in there and then glued all around the seem and let it dry overnight. Great fix!!!!!!!

Ghost Deany
08-28-12, 01:25 AM
How does that trim come off of there? The black plastic strip

hofstetter30
09-12-12, 11:48 PM
Just finished mine! Now all I need is that "click" remote so I can test it already!!!!

cabo_35
11-10-12, 05:31 PM
Op, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to tell you that I appreciate you sharing this information. I just bought an 07 Escalade so I could garage the CTS-V for the winter and the wind noise was driving me insane. Could easily see the air flow path when doing this fix. Thanks again.

Mikes07
11-11-12, 09:28 PM
So the area that is glued is under the rubber seal?

cabo_35
11-12-12, 07:39 PM
I ran the bead of glue in the 'gap' that exists where the outside trim is connected to the door. It is about a 1/4 wide and has small holes along the edge to accept the tabs protruding off the outside trim piece.

It turns out that my passenger rear window still sounds awful. But it worked great on the front passenger window. Back to the drawing board.

blackex
06-25-13, 01:21 PM
Tried this over the weekend with black sealant and filled the gap's near the mirror area's in the door with this stuff. It looks like the foam insert that was there was starting to come out so I pushed it back in and then put the sealant over it all the way up the door about 18"s. The window noise is now completely gone, this saved me probably hours back and forth to the dealer and who knows how much money.

asudevilboy80
06-25-13, 01:38 PM
Tried this over the weekend with black sealant and filled the gap's near the mirror area's in the door with this stuff. It looks like the foam insert that was there was starting to come out so I pushed it back in and then put the sealant over it all the way up the door about 18"s. The window noise is now completely gone, this saved me probably hours back and forth to the dealer and who knows how much money.

I'm looking to do this tonight actually...questions...I have the white interior, should I find a white sealant or will all the sealant be completely covered? What kind of sealant did you use? Did you do both the front and the back windows?

blackex
06-25-13, 02:00 PM
I just used this black gasket maker sealant that I found since I couldn't find anything else. I don't really think it matter since the black window trim on the inside covers up the area when your done. I just did the front windows since thats the only area the wind noise was coming from when driving. Really didn't take long at all, the longest part was waiting for it to dry before putting the plastic back on.

clk199
07-12-13, 04:44 AM
Can someone provide better pics by chance? Need to make sure I go about this correct! Thanks!

lbrowne
07-16-13, 02:35 AM
We bought an 07 ESV a year ago and this was something I pointed during the test drive before buying it. I indicated the driver mirror had a hair line crack in the housing and they replaced the whole mirror. I thought this was the wind noise problem, but I was wrong. It went back and forth probably about 3-4 times before I finally gave up. Most times I only drive this truck on the highway, and that's when you hear the noise the most. I wish I see this sooner because I would have tried the fix before I head out to the campground tomorrow that's 3-4 hours away all highway lol.

I'm definitely trying this fix when I get back. I agree - I wish the pictures were a bit better. When I tackle this I'll take some myself, but this will be 1-2 weeks away.

blackex
07-16-13, 08:40 AM
it's hard to take pictures to try and show the exact issue since the problem, for me at least, was in between the felt window trim and the metal inner door frame. There is about a .5" gap there that typically has a foam piece placed in that gap area, however mine was pushed in and sort of missing so I just filled the entire gap from the bottom up above the mirror area and after letting it dry the wind noise has disappeared all together from both sides. Once you pull back the plastic inner window cover you will see the area described. I also filled in the hole where the wires that lead to the mirror go through inside the door since I noticed there was a way for air to flow through that area.

clk199
07-21-13, 11:24 PM
^^^^Thanks for the added info! I just need to find some time to get in the garage and check out exactly what you are explaining. From the pics, I couldnt tell what I was looking at. Basically, it seems like I just need to pull back some plastic trim on the door and find the gap that needs filled...Thanks, and I will try to post updates of mine! :-)

hannity
07-22-13, 03:44 PM
Get out the duct tape and bailing wire! More GM/Cadillac design flaws customers are left to fix. :bonkers:
Sadly I will have to agree.:( but if the dealer can't do it or ignore it, it's good to know someone can do it on their own. Oddly among the plethora of problems I had with my nightmarelade, windnoise was not one of them.

blackex
07-22-13, 04:49 PM
I would try to take some pictures but honestly after you remove that inner door mirror plastic cap and plastic window trim that lines the inner window you will see the gap and by the time it takes you to fill the area with an epoxy, let it dry, and put the plastic cover back into position the entire process takes maybe 2-3 hours and thats because the epoxy needs to dry. If there was no dry time the entire process for both doors would take maybe 10 minutes.

clk199
07-23-13, 03:03 AM
^
Thanks for the info. I haven't had time to take mine apart, but did have a quick (dumb?) question. Is there any downside to filling with sealant? What I mean is why is the gap there? By sealing it, will it ever need to be removed down the road for some type of servicing?

Just wondering!
Thanks
Nate

hrpatel17926
07-24-13, 05:16 PM
Has anyone installed those window vent shades, if so has anyone experienced less noise or no change. I was thinking about buying a slim line pair and see how they work out.

Thanks,

clk199
07-24-13, 08:18 PM
I had a moment to look at the plastic piece that need to be removed to fill the gap. I was able to begin to remove it at the mirror, after popping off the triangle plastic piece, and then about 1/4 up the window trim, it wouldn't unclip. Not wanting to crack the trim, I put it back together until I have more time to mess with it.

Should I pull the trim down, or towards me? I just couldn't tell, but was in rush mode too. I did see the gap you guys are filling up. More later...

blackex
07-25-13, 08:37 AM
Yeah there was a spot a little higher than what your saying that wouldn't want to unclip so I just wedged a towel inside of that area to keep it away from the window so I could fill the gap. I then left my doors open for a few hours in the garage to let everything dry before putting it back together.

lbrowne
07-25-13, 10:56 AM
That whole piece should pop off - unfortunately my wife has our Escalade out of town and I can't start mine yet!

clk199
07-29-13, 02:17 AM
Had some time to mess with it today. I got both pieces pulled off, and sealed the gap. Letting it dry now, and am crossing fingers.

A question though, where is the air entering from? Through where the mirror mounts? I've read about folks foaming behind the headlights or something... My point is, wonder if we could seal up any other places for even better results?

Fingers crossed this helps! Mines wasn't too bad--- I hope for the same or better! Will be quite sad if it got worse! Lol!

Nate

blackex
07-29-13, 09:06 AM
I had the same questions myself. I'm not sure how air is somehow entering into the door frame itself... but I sealed up the areas starting from the bottom and working my way up past the mirror area and after letting it dry the sound was gone. Let us know if anything improves from this.

Whiterob
07-29-13, 01:06 PM
Was Bored so put the wind fix together in a word doc. (Really so I can print it off and have it with me when i go to do it. This damn Escalade is the loudest vehicle i have driven (wind noise))

Apparently it didn't get attached.. :banghead:

JokerDev
07-30-13, 06:13 PM
Just thought I'd post a reply with my fix/experience:

My 07 had terrible wind noise from both driver and passenger front windows. I pulled the trim off, and saw the same problem described here, the foam was coming out of the 1/4" channel.
I bought some screen door spline from home depot (thinnest available, about $3 for the bag) and started working it in to the gap. I used a flat head screwdriver to get it in, and it stuffed the foam back in and held it in place. Put the trim back, and wind noise is 90% better. Easy fix and not as messy as glues/sealants.

clk199
08-01-13, 05:25 AM
^
I like that fix!

I glued mine, and noise is about the same. It wasn't that bad to begin with, but louder than my old model
Lade. Perhaps its just how it is? I was hoping for a bit more of an improvement, maybe I'll tape the outside gaps with silver duct tape and crawl in thru the back window! It's late- I kid, I kid!

blackex
08-01-13, 08:42 AM
Did you glue the side mirror holes also? I have seen on here that some people no longer hear wind noise after gluing the area and for others it doesn't completely fix the issue and that their door needs to be re-aligned to fix it.

clk199
08-07-13, 03:33 AM
^. No on the mirror holes. Perhaps I'll give that a shot too. It needs some warranty issues addressed, so I'll see what the dealership says as well.

Thanks!

lbrowne
08-08-13, 06:06 PM
Just did this fix, letting the silicone dry there now. I have tons of foam in my mirror opening so I'm not worried about that yet.

It seems the only noise I get is around the driver door, and it's excessive. Fingers crossed.

lbrowne
08-08-13, 07:27 PM
Seems quieter, you will never get rid of wind noise completely I don't think but I found it quieter in the cabin and easier to hear yourself talking. Before, you could just hear wind whistling in the door seam area, appears that is gone now.

FredoV8
09-09-14, 06:17 PM
Did the mod.
Clearly supressed 75% of the windnoise. But it still there.
Had problem only on driver side, but did the passenger side just by precaution.
Don't know now how to supress this 25% of noise. It still come from the same area. But i applied my black silicon joint all trim long. So.... what else?... or.... where else?
However, many thanks for this 5$ mod which work fine.

Fredo, from France

lbrowne
09-09-14, 10:05 PM
Did the mod.
Clearly supressed 75% of the windnoise. But it still there.
Had problem only on driver side, but did the passenger side just by precaution.
Don't know now how to supress this 25% of noise. It still come from the same area. But i applied my black silicon joint all trim long. So.... what else?... or.... where else?
However, many thanks for this 5$ mod which work fine.

Fredo, from France

You know I was concerned with that as well until I drove some late model trucks of other brands and found out mine is no different than those now. At the end of the day, it's still a brick going down the road lol

balladw
09-11-14, 02:33 AM
Hey guys. I made this post a few years ago and I sold my escalade a year ago and hated myself for it. Well bought another and guess what.... I'm doing the wind noise fix once again tomorrow on the new one. Nice to see that this post helped a few people out. My buddy who showed me the fix initially who was a die hard escalade guy passed away last year. Nice to see people used it. I'm on it tomorrow. Glad to be back on the forums.

ScarabChris
11-12-14, 10:58 AM
Ok guys, I had this noise until yesterday. Couldn't figure it out. On a separate project I removed the antenna and did a hidden antenna for a cleaner look. Noise gone! The damn antenna was making the noise.

asudevilboy80
11-12-14, 12:55 PM
Ok guys, I had this noise until yesterday. Couldn't figure it out. On a separate project I removed the antenna and did a hidden antenna for a cleaner look. Noise gone! The damn antenna was making the noise.

What did you do with the antenna? Any pictures?

I've just about given up hope that this could be resolved, I've tried so many damn things over the years, nothing has worked...:rant2:

ScarabChris
11-12-14, 05:26 PM
I took the antenna off. Got a ring terminal and some 16 gauge tinned copper wire. Bolted the ring to the antenna post and ran the wire up the windshield behind the door weather stripping all the way to the back door.

Got the idea from here..... http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/antenna-delete.73945/

Works great. No loss of reception at all. GM makes that plastic corner piece without the hole which I have on order. This way it looks like there was never an antenna there.

AZKlaus
11-12-14, 05:59 PM
I'm a little confused, is this the trim on the interior or exterior of the door? The pics look like interior but some of your descriptions seem to indicate exterior?

dsminva
11-12-14, 06:04 PM
Open the door and look at the weather strip. Pull back from the body and tuck wire in there. That's what I read into it anyway.

ScarabChris
11-12-14, 06:31 PM
Open the door and look at the weather strip. Pull back from the body and tuck wire in there. That's what I read into it anyway.

Correct. The weather strip has a channel which I think channels the water down. You do not need to pull any stripping off to do this. Just open the front door and you can put your fingers in this channel. Very simple to do. Only tough part was finding a nut to tighten down on the antenna stud. I couldn't find anything that fit in my arsenal of nuts and bolts so I cut the bottom off the female to female cupling and used that as the nut and tightened it with pliers. If you need pictures of my install I'll snap a few and post them.

snidebj
11-14-14, 01:33 PM
Unclipped the trim on the drivers door then applied the sealant. Now the trim will not stay clipped back in. Loose loose loose. Any ideas?

dsminva
11-14-14, 01:59 PM
Is the metal clip still on the trim panel?
(It should be)
Otherwise, pry out the metal sides on the clip some and it should get firmer.

AZKlaus
11-14-14, 02:20 PM
Alright so these past few posts are what's adding to my confusion- there's a post saying you don't have to remove anything just fill in a channel, another one involving a trim panel (and again, exterior or interior?)

dsminva
11-14-14, 03:10 PM
I think there are at least 2 if not more wind noise problem areas. Obviously the normal Escalades do not have an FM antenna on the fender. This is an EXT only area of concern, and does not apply to the Escalades.

snidebj
11-14-14, 04:37 PM
Metal clips stayed on the door frame when taking the plastic trim piece off.

dsminva
11-15-14, 12:11 PM
There is your problem. Take the clip out and attach to the plastic, THEN replace the panel back on the truck.