: 4.5 distributor removal

8eldorado8
04-04-11, 07:44 PM
I have an 88 Eldorado 4.5 and I need to remove the distributor I took off the 15mm nut and the distributor pulls half way out and thats it. Is there something else I need to remove to get it out? I've searched this but I can't seem to find good instructions for removal.

cadillac_al
04-04-11, 10:48 PM
Usually they stick to the engine. If yours is halfway out then you should be fine. Just keep twisting and turning it and it should work its way out.

8eldorado8
04-13-11, 08:30 PM
I never posted why I had to remove the distributor and need further help. The car stopped running while I was driving it and upon inspection I wasn't getting any spark. Therefore I needed to replace some things on it. After getting it out I replaced the pick-up coil, condenser, control module, and ignition coil. After replacing all of that i still have no spark. I am getting current to the distributor and the rotor is spinning while cranking. Can anybody help me on what to look at next?

jimruninit
06-12-11, 03:40 PM
Is the 15 mm bolt to hold down distributor at the base of the distributor.. I have a 1989 coupe deville. in progress of replacing intake manifold

Sevillian273
06-12-11, 04:05 PM
Yes. Be sure to mark the position of the rotor in relation to the dist housing before removal. Do not turn the crankshaft until the dizzy is reinstalled.

daniel58
06-23-11, 05:47 AM
There is also a hall effect switch in that distributor. If you replaced everything else and still no spark, you may want to look at that.

Sevillian273
06-23-11, 06:08 AM
You can still have spark with a bad hall effect switch. All it does is send pulses to the computer to time the fuel injection more accurately.

HarvickFan29
01-13-13, 01:32 PM
I have an 88 Eldoarado.....I was parked with the car running and it just died......managed to get it started again, got it home and it wouldnt start again....kept trying and it started.....tried finding the codes..E021 is the code that came up....no distributor signal......okay...so thought we would go cheapest route first and replace the cap and roter.....one of the plugs that is attatched to the distributor broke...(the plastic casing) managed to get it back in but still wouldnt start.....then went out next morning and it started......Afraid to drive it as I dont want to get stuck somewhere....do I need to replace the distributor instead and if so can I do this myself....heard I needed special C wrench or something which I dont have......HELP PLEASE only vehichle I have and need to get it started and stay starting!!!!!! :)

still_walkin
01-21-13, 05:37 AM
I have an 88 Eldoarado.....I was parked with the car running and it just died......managed to get it started again, got it home and it wouldnt start again....kept trying and it started.....tried finding the codes..E021 is the code that came up....no distributor signal......okay...so thought we would go cheapest route first and replace the cap and roter.....one of the plugs that is attatched to the distributor broke...(the plastic casing) managed to get it back in but still wouldnt start.....then went out next morning and it started......Afraid to drive it as I dont want to get stuck somewhere....do I need to replace the distributor instead and if so can I do this myself....heard I needed special C wrench or something which I dont have......HELP PLEASE only vehichle I have and need to get it started and stay starting!!!!!! :)

I would change all the wires unless you can get the metal tip out the wire cap without damaging it

cadillac_al
01-21-13, 10:37 AM
They do make distributor wrenches but a lot of people can get by with a socket and extension and u joint. You have to make sure you get it back in in the exact same position. Everybody has their own way, but I always point the rotor at 12 o'clock straight at the firewall. There are a lot of thread here about it that should help you a lot. That way you can learn from others' mistakes.