: have i already asked about Miatas?

OffThaHorseCEO
04-04-11, 05:18 PM
this might be one of those threads about possibly getting rid of a known good car for a gamble. in the defense of this question, we have 2 other known good cars.

i spotted a great deal (or so it would seem to my uneducated mind) on a 1992 miata. it sounds good, guy says it runs and drives great. hes asking 900. id offer 600 to start with and expect to be talked up.

are these cars generally reliable? easy to work on if something does break? im used to being able to get whatever i want for the saturn for pretty cheap, and also being able to do just about anything i want in a weekend. would the miata be the same?

or would it be another allante, beautiful and fun but finnicky and expensive if things break.

would fuel economy be comparable to the saturn? The miata is a much smaller car so i would think so. im considering replacing the saturn for this so my gf can have a nicer/fun car to drive to school and back which is over an hour away.

the saturn has been great but i think its about that time...

edit: is the convertible top on these manual or power?

Jesda
04-04-11, 05:36 PM
Super easy to work on. The only issue on 90-91 is the short nose crank failure. Check miata.net to find out the symptoms.

The Miata will get anywhere between 21 and 29 mpg.

ben.gators
04-04-11, 05:59 PM
"it runs and drives great. hes asking 900."

Isn't 900$ too cheap for a car that runs and drives great? I am a bit skeptical about this... Why someone should sell a great running car for 900 and even accepts a 600$ offer...

OffThaHorseCEO
04-04-11, 06:21 PM
well...well...well...maybe hes just got so much money and so many cars that hes getting rid of it cheap because he really just doesnt care?

no, i think it has alot to do with the fact that he doesnt have a title, i have only looked at the listing, havent even called the guy. it could be already sold. if its not and my gf likes it i'll find out why it doesnt have a title then contact dmv about a replacement or more info on the title of course

Playdrv4me
04-04-11, 08:21 PM
Wait... why would you ever buy a car without a title? That's always a red flag to me that something is very wrong. Not necessarily with the car itself, but with the legality and ownership! I've heard of these "no title" stories becoming absolute nightmares.

phroadrick
04-04-11, 10:28 PM
Miatas are stupidly reliable. Easy and cheap to work on. I bought my 1992 for $400 with an engine problem that i was sure I could fix. I knew it was either a blown head gasket or a couple of burnt valves. Turned out to be a couple of burnt valves. Did the work myself (had a shop do a valve job for $375) and had a great running car for less than $800. Drove the &*%#@ out of it for the next five years until I sold it with 186,000 miles on it for $1500. No short nose crank issues on the 1992's. Buy it. Join miata.net for more info than you can imagine. Great folks over there. Good luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-11, 10:53 PM
I'd love a Miata, but only if I had like three other cars. A Miata would be a great car to own...super fun to drive, reliable, cheap, fuel efficent, but it would be a terrible daily driver, especially in MN.

EcSTSatic
04-04-11, 10:57 PM
You should know that the Miata is number 5 in the ultimate Gay/Lesbian car list (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Gay-Lesbian/gay-guy2.html) gay

That said, I would never buy a car without a title that I wasn't using as a parts car. I did that once when I bought a Triumph and a BSA from a guy. I was able to find the last legal owner of one and he graciously signed a new title over to me. The other bike I ended up reselling at a British bike show.

EChas3
04-04-11, 11:04 PM
I once had a car given to me - no title & no keys. I paid to get it retitled in Illinois with a dealer inspection & some state paperwork. The title came back with one VIN digit wrong!

At 22, I didn't care. I drove it for a couple of years before junking it.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-04-11, 11:19 PM
You should know that the Miata is number 5 in the ultimate Gay/Lesbian car list (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Gay-Lesbian/gay-guy2.html) gay

That said, I would never buy a car without a title that I wasn't using as a parts car. I did that once when I bought a Triumph and a BSA from a guy. I was able to find the last legal owner of one and he graciously signed a new title over to me. The other bike I ended up reselling at a British bike show.

I think its considered a feminine car, it would be for my gf even though id drive the sh#t out of it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-11, 11:23 PM
I see a lot of younger "nerdy" (guys that look like they work in I.T.) white heterosexual males driving Miatas around here. I'm a young nerdy white heterosexual male so it's fitting. :lol:

Jesda
04-04-11, 11:34 PM
Camaro, a top pick as a homocar:
http://gaylife.about.com/od/entertainment/ss/topgaycars2010_4.htm

And of course there's a Volvo and Subaru on the list

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-11, 11:37 PM
Not pointing any fingers Jesda, but why do you have a link to gaylife.com.....?? :sneaky: Did you get directed there from one of your many George Michael tribute sites?

I wonder why the gays would like the Camaro? Is it all that action in the back end?? :lildevil:

orconn
04-04-11, 11:48 PM
I see a lot of younger "nerdy" (guys that look like they work in I.T.) white heterosexual males driving Miatas around here. I'm a young nerdy white heterosexual male so it's fitting. :lol:

Hey you want to see fat nerdy looking guys who work in I.T.? Go to a a car show for expensive Italian exotics! The last time I went to a show for Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo and Maserati cars I was totally surprised by who owned and drove those cars ..... what a change from other decades! Just goes to show where the money is to be made today! I couldn't tell you if they were heterosexual or not but they were definitely nerdy and male. Didn't notice a lot of the great looking chicks we used see at these shows, though!

orconn
04-04-11, 11:52 PM
Camaro, a top pick as a homocar:
http://gaylife.about.com/od/entertainment/ss/topgaycars2010_4.htm

And of course there's a Volvo and Subaru on the list

Camaros don't have a $2000 navigation option, I'll bet the color "yellow" makes these boys "sad" too!

Playdrv4me
04-05-11, 12:35 AM
:jesda:

ben.gators
04-05-11, 04:50 AM
This thread motivated me to do some search about listed Miatas for sale, and I should say I am surprised by realizing how much overpriced these cars are! It seems to be impossible to find a Miata for less than 2500$! For example a 20 year old miata with 150k miles is listed for 3500$! However I should exclude the car without titles or mechanic special ones.

Jesda
04-05-11, 06:35 AM
Not pointing any fingers Jesda, but why do you have a link to gaylife.com.....??

I was looking for penises on the internet.

This thread motivated me to do some search about listed Miatas for sale, and I should say I am surprised by realizing how much overpriced these cars are! It seems to be impossible to find a Miata for less than 2500$! For example a 20 year old miata with 150k miles is listed for 3500$! However I should exclude the car without titles or mechanic special ones.

They seem to rise and fall with the cost of fuel. People are willing to downsize if it means they still get to enjoy driving, and the Miata and Mini Cooper are top choices. They're small cars that don't make you feel like you're living below the poverty line.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-11, 09:24 PM
The Mini Cooper would make an OK daily driver, only because it's FWD and a "four seater", but the Miata would be a toy car, especially up here due to it's RWD and two seater setup.

I wanna drive a Miata. I hope we get one in from the auctions or on trade at the dealer I work at, would save me the hassle of searching for one and hassling some salesman. Is the proper term MX-5 or Miata?

Aron9000
04-05-11, 10:30 PM

Its about impossible to find anything for under $2500 that isn't total junk now days. Blame Cash for Clunkers for jacking up prices.

Anyways, I'm kind of on the fence about buying one right now. Only thing that's really held me back is the two seat thing and that they are kind of crappy interstate cars. Very noisy.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-05-11, 10:52 PM
The Mini Cooper would make an OK daily driver, only because it's FWD and a "four seater", but the Miata would be a toy car, especially up here due to it's RWD and two seater setup.

I wanna drive a Miata. I hope we get one in from the auctions or on trade at the dealer I work at, would save me the hassle of searching for one and hassling some salesman. Is the proper term MX-5 or Miata?

I imagine its like a bmw or mercedes where people call em either by the model name or platform name

dkozloski
04-06-11, 10:53 AM
A no-title car around here is no problem. You go to DMV and fill out the appropriate form to request a title and post a bond equal to the value of the car in case somebody else shows up with the title later. They get the bond. A 1992 model car is considered to have residual value only so the bond is cheap. As the facilities manager of a regional airline I did it many times as we acquired the assets of competitors who had gone broke. Some had changed hands several times on little more than a handshake and title chains were broken years before. See your auto insurance broker for a bond. That's their business.