: FG2 Price?

DDS rollin a CTS
04-04-11, 02:08 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I tried searching and couldnt find what I'm looking for. Anyways, what is a current fair price for a set of FG2 shocks?

Thanks!!!

darkman
04-04-11, 02:50 PM
I have a brand new, still in the box, set of FG2s in the classifieds.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-04-11, 03:14 PM
:shhh: Thats why I was asking. I havent been around long enough to know if thats what they go for or not.

darkman
04-04-11, 03:39 PM
Got it. To assist your research - the part number on the set 12499241. Be sure to check shipping charges since some places add substantial shipping and handling charges.

mberisha
04-05-11, 04:20 AM
Got it. To assist your research - the part number on the set 12499241. Be sure to check shipping charges since some places add substantial shipping and handling charges.

Darkman....in your opinion...how much of a difference in ride handling is there between the FE4s and FG2s (i.e. nite & day?)? I've been doing some research...but couldn't nail down a definitive answer.

I'm looking for something stiffer to improve handling too....I had no need for it in the states...but the twisties around here....WHOLE other story. Thanks for any input....

darkman
04-05-11, 07:17 AM
There is a substantial difference between the FG2s and the FE4s in terms of dampening - the FG2s are significantly stiffer and reduce body roll. On a smooth track the FG2s are a much better shocks. The FG2 also provides better road feel or feedback.

On the other hand, the FG2s (in my opinion) are not as good as FE4s on a rough track or roads if you have stock springs. The FG2s really need stiffer springs to work well on rough streets. For example, on a very rough street where the bumps come in rapid succession the FG2s will not allow the tire to maintain constant ground contact as well as the FE4s. Those who have used the FG2 in conjunction with a Ground Control set up report that this characteristic of the FG2 is cured with stiffer springs.

If you are going to stick with stock springs, the FG2s are the better shock if you live on freeways and smooth streets and the FE4s are a better choice if you frequent rough streets.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-11, 07:40 AM
I would say most of my daily driving is on smooth streets and highways, but theres one major road that i drive daily where the local DOT is OBSESSED with poured slab roadway. Never could figure out the point of it unless their goal is to have a road that heaves and bucks so much that its impossible to speed on. I'll have to see if anyone at the indy-v meet has the fg2s and give them a try there before i make the investment.

cts-v2k5
04-05-11, 08:06 AM
I found my set of FG2's on ebay brand new in the boxes for 450 shipped...I have seen a few sets posted for 900 and up and they have just sat...I do like the feel of them for street driving....If you search the forum you will see many ppl having trouble getting a lot of mileage out of them....don't think i have seen a set go over 30,000 miles...keep searching There was a set on craigslist a few weeks ago for 600 good luck Matt

Aurora40
04-05-11, 08:26 AM
They are about $1200 from discount GM dealers.

Houdini
04-05-11, 09:01 AM
I have 40k on my V with stock FG2s. They are still going strong and no oil leaks found yet. I like them a lot except for bumps in rapid succession like darkman mentioned. When driving around downtown st. louis, the roads suck and I can tell the tires aren't keeping in constant contact with pavement. I wouldn't call the ride harsh but it is certainly not the typical Cadillac smooth. I haven't had any complaints from passengers but even if I did, I wouldn't care. I love the handling and I'm glad I found an fg2 car.