: Michelin Pilot Super Sports in stock sizes...

Teutonaddict
04-04-11, 02:07 PM
I'm really interested in the new PSS's after doing some research. The performance envelope has expanded overall vs. the PS2's, and treadwear is the biggest benefactor. Unfortunately, they are not yet available in our factory sizes.

While I know a few have tried an alternative fitment using RE-11's (265/35/19F and 305/30/19R), I'm not ready to deviate that much on stock 9" and 9.5" wheels.

Exploring the Michelin website, their table of available sizes does not include our factory 255/40/19 and 285/35/19. When I called Michelin customer support, the very helpful gentleman logged my request and took down my contact info, but did say that our CTS-V2 sizes were not on the May rollout calendar either (only three new sizes next month).

He did mention that others have called to request our sizes, and that info was passed along to Michelin marketing. Since our V's came factory equipped with PS2's, I'd hope they'd be early in the queue for PSS fitments.

If you're interested, you can call Michelin Customer Support and request our stock sizes. The toll-free number is: 1‑866‑866‑6605.

In the meantime, since I'm ready to replace my original rubber at 13K miles, I believe I'll give the Conti Extreme Contact DW's a shot in factory sizes.

baabootoo
04-04-11, 04:01 PM
Why not the Bridgestone RE-11s? They are rated #1 for most categories. They are offering a $100 gift card back on 4 through the end of the month. I have no qualms about going a little bigger on the fronts either, but I will stay stock size on the rear.

Umrswimr
04-04-11, 04:28 PM
The RE11 is only available in 275/285- It's pretty bit jump to go to 275's on the front (from 255).

mannyz
04-04-11, 05:10 PM
I have 265 RE11's on the front and 285s in the rear. You gotta drop down to 265/35/19 though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-11&partnum=635WR9RE11XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

miamictsv
04-04-11, 05:15 PM
This is the latest from Bridgestone that matches our stock size tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+S-04+Pole+Position&frontTire=54YR9S04PPXL&rearTire=835YR9S04PP&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2009&autoModel=CTS-V&autoModClar=

i would have tried these if i had not purchased new tires 2 months ago.

Teutonaddict
04-04-11, 06:16 PM
I have 265 RE11's on the front and 285s in the rear. You gotta drop down to 265/35/19 though.

Running 265/35-19 on front and 285/35-19 in back gives you a 2.1% differential between F/R. FWIW, the stock sizes produce a 0.9% F/R delta. Supposed to be under 3% to prevent ABS/ECU skittishness. Interesting...

Tuna
04-05-11, 12:15 PM
Running 265/35-19 on front and 285/35-19 in back gives you a 2.1% differential between F/R. FWIW, the stock sizes produce a 0.9% F/R delta. Supposed to be under 3% to prevent ABS/ECU skittishness. Interesting...

Where did you get this little piece of information in tire size differences?

Caddy Wagon
04-05-11, 12:28 PM
Where did you get this little piece of information in tire size differences?

Try this.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tuna
04-05-11, 02:34 PM
I'm specifically interested in the last sentence: "Supposed to be under 3% to prevent ABS/ECU skittishness."

Actual tire diameter depends on who made the tire anyway. Sure, they're all close to the same diameter if they are the same listed size. When I'm looking at tire diameter, I use tirerack.com's listed diameter for the tire I'm look for.

Teutonaddict
04-05-11, 05:15 PM
I'm specifically interested in the last sentence: "Supposed to be under 3% to prevent ABS/ECU skittishness."

Actual tire diameter depends on who made the tire anyway. Sure, they're all close to the same diameter if they are the same listed size. When I'm looking at tire diameter, I use tirerack.com's listed diameter for the tire I'm look for.

That last little nugget is my accumulated 'knowledge' from reading these boards. I cannot cite the specific source, but have read it several times (so it MUST be true!). Several folks on this board have chosen to go with differentials >3% and have not reported problems, so fee free to try. Me, I'm not so brave with my critical contact patches so I'll choose to stay with stock sizes for noew.

Caddy Wagon, you're spot-on: it was the miata.net calculator that I've used for rough calcs. As for how circumference changes by brand and model, you are correct--but I'd been assuming that folks would buy the same brand/model for all four corners, thus equalizing any unique properties other than size.

CTSV4now
04-05-11, 05:19 PM
Are they discontinuing the pilot sport 2 tire?

Teutonaddict
04-05-11, 05:55 PM
Are they discontinuing the pilot sport 2 tire?

If the experience with the original PS to the PS2's was any indication, there was significant overlap (>1year+) after the intro of the PS2's. My '00 E39 M5 came with PS1's (W-tread pattern; original Viper tire) from the factory and I went through two sets before transitioning over to PS2's.

baabootoo
08-12-11, 01:25 AM
I was at MPH track in Hastings, Nebraska a few days ago. A Michelin rep was there, along with Goldberg, a Lingenfelter rep, and some others. It's now part of the Optima battery shootout circuit. He assured me that they would have sizes for our cars by next spring. He went on to say that these tires started in Europe, so they made tires for those cars first. Next up, the US cars. Unfortunately, the Lingenfelter rep wanted to bring a CTS-V, but he was "told" to bring a mild (700 HP) Corvette instead since this is a big Corvette track!

cbloveday
08-12-11, 07:01 AM
I'm really interested in the new PSS's after doing some research. The performance envelope has expanded overall vs. the PS2's, and treadwear is the biggest benefactor. Unfortunately, they are not yet available in our factory sizes.

While I know a few have tried an alternative fitment using RE-11's (265/35/19F and 305/30/19R), I'm not ready to deviate that much on stock 9" and 9.5" wheels.

Exploring the Michelin website, their table of available sizes does not include our factory 255/40/19 and 285/35/19. When I called Michelin customer support, the very helpful gentleman logged my request and took down my contact info, but did say that our CTS-V2 sizes were not on the May rollout calendar either (only three new sizes next month).

He did mention that others have called to request our sizes, and that info was passed along to Michelin marketing. Since our V's came factory equipped with PS2's, I'd hope they'd be early in the queue for PSS fitments.

If you're interested, you can call Michelin Customer Support and request our stock sizes. The toll-free number is: 1‑866‑866‑6605.

In the meantime, since I'm ready to replace my original rubber at 13K miles, I believe I'll give the Conti Extreme Contact DW's a shot in factory sizes.

I did the same thing. I liked that they are comparable, cheaper, and lighter.

Teutonaddict
08-12-11, 10:25 AM
I did the same thing. I liked that they are comparable, cheaper, and lighter.

While I was leaning toward the Conti's, Curtis, I ended up going the Bridgestone RE-11's in non-OE sizes route. I got a great deal installed, and really love their grip. Still planning to go with PSS's on my next set, however...

Teutonaddict
08-12-11, 10:26 AM
A Michelin rep was there....He assured me that they would have sizes for our cars by next spring.

That's great news! Thanks for posting up!!

Junior1
08-12-11, 02:27 PM
I personally spoke to the Michelin Rep at the V Lab @ Monticello last month about these. He was really impressed with them. Newer technology and alot of work into them. He said that during testing they were able to beat the PS2 in all categories. He was also surprised that they could get a way better wear rating as well.
I just ordered a set for my V1 at Tirerack and they were actually cheaper than PS2's which were out of stock. I also got a $70 rebate as well...

cbloveday
08-12-11, 02:59 PM
Yes it was a tough call for me as well. I opted for the lighter weight since, I rarely test the car's abilities on the street.

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 03:03 PM
I saw this thread but missed the start date. Good thing I only started yelling and not throwing stuff. I bought Hankook evos since they were cheap as I'm anticipating PSSs sometime next year. But if I only had to wait 2 months, I would've.

Phew, crisis averted...